1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Teacher arrested for letting class call teddy bear Mohammed

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by mcfox, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUKL2653895320071126
    wtf is wrong with calling a teddy bear, Mohammad?! Kids love teddy bears. I don't get it. :confused:

mcfox, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  2. Toopac

Toopac Peon

Best Answers:
    Toopac, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  3. N_F_S

N_F_S Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of names Mohammad in the world, but its like calling a teddy bear Jesus))) Im sure many christian followers-fanatics (like the ones I meet on the street asking me to be *educated* with their holy book in hands) wouldt like it too. Being myself an atheist, this is all funny to me.

N_F_S, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  4. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just another case of extremism from countries that do not have seperation of religion of state.

bogart, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  5. hanz

hanz Peon

Best Answers:
    good idea ;)
    wonder if they would let you name your child Jesus? or is that banned for whatever reason?

hanz, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  6. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't understand at all. A completely innocent thing, seems to me, and beyond, in Islam Mohammed is considered just a man, though a holy man, and not a deity. Perhaps a muslim member of the board can chime in - what's up with this? Leo - you're on board - you have any thoughts?

northpointaiki, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  7. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes well if it is as presented "This was a completely innocent mistake. Miss Gibbons would have never wanted to insult Islam." I'd say it's a careless mistake, regardless of it is right or wrong, but considering the fact that she's working in a school in Sudan and not Stockholm. People can be overly sensitive on such subjects, even irrationaly maybe, but still it should be taken into account. Remember she could even have been harmed worsely by one of the parents of a kid.

On the other hand, If convicted, Gibbons could be sentenced to 40 lashes, six months in prison or a fine, that's totally out of mind, over such crime, or say violation of the law. I believe they will resolve this in a good way as she had no bad intentions.

LeoSeo, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think that is what all of us ask when trying to understand this strange religion.. What is wrong with.. "you pick the topic"... Imagine if Catholics arrested me for eating meat on Friday.. Sheesh..

I'd no sooner call my Teddy Bear Mohammad than I would call it Fart Knocker..

I wonder why Muslims can call themselves Mohammad, but cannot make pictures of Mohammad, or call an inanimate object Mohammad.. Strange bunch these loons..

Mia, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  9. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Jeremy, I have come along way since 9/11 and the blind hatreds I had in place after are not something I am proud of. I hope I have earnestly sought to learn since then to try to better understand something a good part of the world believes in. This isn't moral relativism, or weakness in the face of those who do seek to destroy my country and its people. I make no excuses, for anyone, of any faith - if what you believe in causes you to harm me or mine, indeed, any innocent, you will deal with my personal creed to love and protect those I am able to assist. But I also seek a world of mutual respect and understanding, and don't think I can do that if I presume I have all the answers.

I'm an atheist, not a muslim. I can only imagine Muhammed is a common name among muslims, much like Jesus is among Christians, especially Catholics, as a sign of veneration.

northpointaiki, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Understood, but if my kid named his teddy bear Jesus, I highly doubt any Christian religion would arrest him.. I guess that is the point I am trying to make..

Mia, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  11. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like u have changed alot Taiki. You have moderation and empathy:), 2 personality traits of a true humanitarian.

pingpong123, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  12. N_F_S

N_F_S Active Member

Best Answers:
    they ? you mean people of Sudan? there are many muslims with christian names, so Im not sure what is your point here.

Well, I will tell you a secret, thats why theres so many religions, they have to be different, and you probably know by now that Islam is more fanatic than Christianity, its not a secret, everyone knows it, so you have to respect other rules. Calling 1 bln people(or whats the exact amount?) idiots, stoopid etc. is not the right thing nor a clever thing, maybe better try to find something in yourself rather than in 1/5 population of Earth...?

Regarding animations, if I were to publicly animate Jesus in a public newspaper, you are going to tell me that noone will overreact on this matter? Sheeesh here goes to you.

N_F_S, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Using that logic, I should be tolerant of murderers and pedophiles too..

No, not really.. I mean in American, we allow people who think they are legitimate artists to make Jesus' out of shit and piss...

It's disgusting and in bad taste, and (I went to school for art) it's not art. But no one is getting killed or arrested for it.

Mia, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  14. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You know how true that is. The US Government is not going to arrest you for baming a Teddy Bear Jesus. The sad part is the the goverments and people in these countries believe that they are justifies.

Now some extremists have to go on a Jihad and blow themselves up to avenge themselves.

bogart, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    It's so refreshing to live in a free country...

Mia, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  16. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I love the freedoms I have in our country, too, Jeremy. And I know that defending those freedoms isn't to be taken lightly. I guess the journey I've been on over the time since 9/11 is a more expansive view of what it means to be American, as I was living the life of a hypocrite - proclaiming my beliefs in the ideals my country holds as central to its culture, while wholesale condemning others simply on the basis of their faith. It was wrong, in every way. My comments above are not a judgment on anyone else, as much as a personal statement of what I have come to. Sorry to all if this was a needless diversion away from the topic at hand.

I categorically do not agree with any government's policy, or the tenets of anyone's faith, if these things would harm someone over their own beliefs. Mutual respect must be a two way street, or it's nothing.

northpointaiki, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  17. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty confused by the 'naming' thing also, why is it okay to call your children Mohammed and not a toy. How about a pet? I don't see too much of a difference personally.

MattUK, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I'm thinking of calling my dog Muhammad... Derby is just too cliche'...

Do keep in mind that the ideals and beliefs of the US as a whole is comprised of every belief, background, religion, race, creed, colour, sexual orientation, and non-religion... The only belief I think I am guilty in pushing on other cultures is the belief that all culture's, beliefs, religions, backgrounds, sexual orientations, creeds, races, and non-religions are 100% equal in terms of their right to believe, not believe, exist or not exist... Assuming they are not infringing on those rights of others.

I don't find it wrong to condemn anyone that would think otherwise of the concept that all are created equal. That is a human concept, not a religious or governmental one.

Mia, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  19. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Indeed. I often get a chuckle when those that live in altered reality, pretend they are loosing some freedoms and cry ceaselessly about it, and yet seem to have no clue about what real freedoms real people are loosing around the world.

Reminds me of men who suffer from sympathy pains during their wife's pregnancy.

GTech, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I've asked countless time on this forum and on others like it for those that claim to have lost Freedom's under Bush to cite for me any one single freedom they personally have lost.

So far, no one has been able to do that... If anything, people are more free in America now than at any other time in our history. Hell, we have even gone so far as to extend those same freedoms that we American's enjoy to people who are not even citizens of this country...

Mia, Nov 27, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.