1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Webmaster Forum: Everyone is NOT welcome to post :)

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Merkersarl, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Merkersarl

Merkersarl Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL, I heartily encourage you to not visit it again :)

In the meanwhile we've had a few mods from Sitepoint signup, people from Digitalpoint like Ajeet and others, the owners of Sitepoint, both the managers at Flippa, venture capital investors and various experts in different disciplines. Not only are they registered, they are also posting regularly and there've been some excellent discussions on monetising websites, running affiliate programs, doing all kinds of clever stuff.

Hosting24, did I mention I encourage you to not visit again?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    Merkersarl, Mar 4, 2010 IP
  2. Hosting24

Hosting24 Member

Best Answers:
    Well, sometimes I love visiting low-quality sites and checking some stuff...

Hosting24, Mar 4, 2010 IP
  3. Merkersarl

Merkersarl Peon

Best Answers:
    OK then, visit and learn and much as you want. :)

I've just quickly checked a thread of yours and I see what you mean about a few cents per post ;)

Well I guess it gets your signature out there so good luck to you.

4. Fergal

Fergal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well done on the success of your forum Merkersarl, I'm a member there and have already received some very valuable advice from it. I've subscribed to this thread and will revisit it, with a view to getting some tips on how to manage spam and low quality posts on my own forum.

I hadn't realised you were a member here and I recently recommended your forum in this thread.

Good luck and continued success with it.

Fergal, Mar 4, 2010 IP
  5. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i somehow find the forum interesting though, they might be offering something really nice.
    i may not be allowed to post but allowed to browse :D

thanks

etc, Mar 4, 2010 IP
  6. Merkersarl

Merkersarl Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Fergal, glad you like the forums.

I have huge respect for your own experience with forums, but since you mentioned about finding spammers/cutting down on spam, I'll give you an example right here in this thread. I'd consider Hosting24 as a spammer. That's not because he was critical - we learn from criticism - but because of the time stamp on his post.

I'll explain.

He made his first post in this thread within six minutes of mine. This suggests that within six minutes he found my post, read what was a fairly long post, visited the two links in the post and read those pages, visited my forums, browsed through 10 or 20 threads to draw his conclusion that it's mainly "paid posters" - and spent long enough to "figure out" they were cheapo ones doing it for just a few cents - and still had time to come back and type up his reply.

Since that's humanly impossible it's easy to draw the conclusion that his post was not backed by any real opinion but was likely just to make an appearance in this thread. If I check the traffic logs I suspect I won't even see a referral from DigitalPoint during those six minutes ;)

On my forums I'd call that signature spam.

Fergal likes this.
  7. Hosting24

Hosting24 Member

Best Answers:
    I'd love to. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any valuable information there :(

Hosting24, Mar 4, 2010 IP
  8. Merkersarl

Merkersarl Peon

Best Answers:
    You try to make it sound like you are making genuine posts in threads. Instead it just looks more and more like you're just trying to get your signature in. Your comment is a sample of the list of generic comments you can post in almost any thread.

There are idiots out there who post these stupid comments in multiple threads and try to mask their real purpose by repeating something someone else has said or just dropping a worthless throwaway opinion that is not backed up by any reasoning.

Any fool can say "I like" and "I didn't like". Why don't you show us you are not one by actually finding a few threads that look like they were made by paid posters and prove your point. Let's see whether you actually visited the forums or you are just one of those paid signature spammers who's here just to get his link in lots of threads. ;)

Merkersarl, Mar 8, 2010 IP
  9. Hosting24

Hosting24 Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, any fool can say "I like" and "I didn't like" (also any fool can start a forum today). It's enough to take a look at member stats. There are a few members who post over 50% of forum messages, and these members seem to be "gurus" in every single topic of forum. Yeah, right :D

Hosting24, Mar 8, 2010 IP
  10. Foggy

Foggy Link and Site Buyer

Best Answers:
    Me too.

You could be waiting a long time!

The very strict posting requirements there does mean that there aren't a lot of junk posts cluttering up the serious discussions (unlike what's been happening in this thread).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    Foggy, Mar 8, 2010 IP