1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Parts of site failed to load...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Hollow, Oct 14, 2013.

Been getting the message from yesterday and it's getting kind of annoying I might even block it from popping up.

What does it block more than ads? Currently, adblock reports only 1 ad being blocked. I aso use Ghostery which blocks currently Facebook Connect Widgets, Google +1 Widgets, Google Adsense, Google Analytics and Twitter Button Widgets.
    Now if these are considered "more than ads" and cause parts of the site not to work (on my end), which btw it doesn't happen, then I don't know what to say. I understand you need tracking and want to run ads, have twitter buttons and google plus ones but I do have my blockers installed for a reason, and I don't think it's good practice to tell the user "you should disable it".

Solved! View solution.
    Hollow, Oct 14, 2013 IP
    kk5st likes this.
    Some things that don't work with Ad Blocker addons:

Can't verify domain for various reasons:
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/how-to-verify-ownership-of-my-domain.2682353/
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/how-to-verify-my-domain-to-sell-in-marketplace.2669537/

Can't create threads or reply to threads in certain areas based on the names of those areas or keywords in the thread title (Advertising, AdSense, AdWords, etc.):
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/unable-to-create-threa-on-advertising.2682358/
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/unable-to-post-reply-to-a-thread.2632521/

Inability to upload things to the digital goods marketplace:
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/blank-overlay-for-marketplace-tos.2674683/
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/im-premium-member-but-i-cannot-post-on-marketplace.2639751/

Removal of words from posts:
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/mssing-text-in-post-content.2426844/
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/dissapearing-word-in-my-post.2417519/

Inability to make payments:
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/cannot-send-funds-for-ppc-advertising.2634715/

Inability to manage their own ads:
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...ertiser-show-ads-so-i-cant-edit-them.2534872/

etc...

Basically just tired of it being a support issue, when the root of the problem is the user installed addons that alter the DOM of the page and then wonder why things don't work.

Personally, I don't care if someone blocks ads in principle, but when it takes up my time and becomes a support issue, then I care. At the very least, hopefully the user will disable it before asking why something doesn't work. :)

digitalpoint, Oct 14, 2013 IP
  3. FreeFun4Every1

FreeFun4Every1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just disable adblocker for this domain I also did that. DP is not using popup ads so I don't mind to disable it but if the day come that DP push popup ads I will surely use it very less. Popups are really annoying :eek:

FreeFun4Every1, Oct 14, 2013 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Never going to happen.

digitalpoint, Oct 14, 2013 IP
  5. Dave Goehst

Dave Goehst Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah...so....

I never had a popup blocker on, and started getting this message an hour ago.

Kinda spooky.

Dave Goehst, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  6. Dave Goehst

Best Answers:
    True - although I'm about 2.2 seconds away from doing the Monster Mash on my overloaded laptop.

7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Strange... Something on your computer is preventing the site from loading completely.

digitalpoint, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  8. Dave Goehst

Best Answers:
    Doh! I knew I shouldn't have emailed those 40th birthday pictures to mom...

9. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The thing is, I know which addons I'm running. I know, too, that sometimes they might interfere with one thing or another. BUT I'm not all that concerned about your support issues as long as I'm not a part of the problem; and I'm not. I am concerned that you are impolitely causing the page to shift to accommodate your silly and imperious message that "you should to disable it [the addon]". Now, if I have that addon, it's because it provides me something I want. If the addon is blocking some function I want, I can kill it then. A site owner's needs are not mine nor any visitor's concern.

Now it may be that I am being curmudgeonly. If I am, it's because I firmly believe that any html aware browser should render a site with full functionality. Yeah, and that includes pure text browsers such as Lynx. If the site requires something more, then the site owner should provide alternative content. The visitor can be advised at that time.

g

kk5st, Oct 15, 2013 IP
    Saputnik and kingofking like this.
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    So we are in agreement. :)

Honestly... it's far too much work as a site owner to replicate all functionality to work 100% with browsers such a Lynx. I doubt there's any major site that supports everything on Lynx. While it would be nice, not something I'm interested in investing the time/effort to do for such a tiny fraction of users. Time would be better spent giving the other 99.999999% of users something useful.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  11. PardyCo

PardyCo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    However, at the same time you think it is good practice to take it into your hands to alter someone's site and take away revenue?

I'm a supporter of what he did here. Not to mention, look at the long list of items that it also breaks. DP is a large community forum and is free for you to use. Why? Because of the ads that are displayed. Could you imagine the server costs and usage this site would take in order to run? Those ads help pay for that. Its also not in any way, nor causing harm. So why block them to begin with?

Exactly.

PardyCo, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If it was about revenue, it would have been blocked long ago. It really is just about users breaking the site inadvertently and then needing support for that.

Arick unirow, Fakher and ryan_uk like this.
  13. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Ad blockers aren't doing their job properly if they are blocking non-ad content. A site owner can't be blamed for that or expected to account for it.

ryan_uk, Oct 15, 2013 IP
    Fakher likes this.
  14. Hollow

Hollow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have no idea what you're talking about.

Best answer selected. digitalpoint, i blocked the message :p Still think you should at least put a link that explains parts of the site not loading, when you or the mods have the time.

Cheers

Hollow, Oct 16, 2013 IP
  15. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, it's not all that difficult if written from the git-go for Lynx. Once there is html functionality, css and javascript are enhancements. Do you really think coding for Lynx is over investing for too little a return? Keep in mind that Lynx is an excellent proxy for assistive technologies. If it works for Lynx, it will work for screen readers and Braille renderers, &c. The real representation is not the 0.000001% your hyperbole suggests. I'd say Lynx is a good proxy for an audience seven orders of magnitude greater.

I wouldn't expect you to refactor the site at this stage of development, but I would expect that annoying notices be restricted to those pages that are actually at risk. I don't, or at least not yet, visit the areas you mentioned above so I have no clue what the resultant issues are. If I do go there, and my addon blocks some necessary component, I doubt I would mind receiving the reminder. That is not the case in the forums I do visit.

g

kk5st, Oct 16, 2013 IP
  16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The notice would end up on more pages than not. For example this page would end up with it because ad blocker addons can block you from replying to a thread if it doesn't like keywords in the thread title.

As far as the number of user's who use Lynx, I'd say it's pretty tiny. In the last 20,000,000 visitors to this site, a grand total of ONE was using Lynx.

digitalpoint, Oct 16, 2013 IP
  17. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Did you miss this:
    g

kk5st, Oct 16, 2013 IP
  18. irma zuhro

irma zuhro Active Member

Best Answers:
    i have message
    "Parts of site failed to load...If you are using an ad blocker addon, you should to disable it (it blocks more than ads and causes parts of the site to not work)."
    some time ago I was flooded with ads from ilivid and perform block. many important panels are covered by the existence of the ad.
    This is not a problem?
    I do not get the point. please halp me!

irma zuhro, Oct 18, 2013 IP
  19. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No clue what ilivid is, but nothing we run here.

digitalpoint, Oct 18, 2013 IP
  20. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I just got the exact same message, I don't use and have never used any sort of adblocker...

malky66, Oct 18, 2013 IP