1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get listed in DMOZ, the easy way. 2 days.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gworld, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I meant those "supposed" old ladies that "supposedly" don't know why the pictures are not shown in the web page and need their grand daughter help to figure it out but couple of posts later, discuss the technical side of parsing the ODP RDF file which the majority of webmasters in this forum can not manage. ;)

gworld, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  2. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Considering I'm one that had issues with pictures not showing up - (but my 18 month old granddaughter is quite the computer illiterate) - and I don't know how to parse anything - I'll have to guess that you're talking about someone else.

lmocr, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  3. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    And your proof for this is... non-existent. It is frustratingly difficult to get rid of bad editors because of the standard of proof required. You need unanimity of metas for an editor to be removed. Let alone be able to get rid of good editors. Remember it only takes one meta to object and there is no removal, them's the rules.

Actually the proof points the other way - the most troublesome editors for Admins and Metas are Editalls. Many times as an editor I upset apple carts and (as a result of the false propaganda) expected to find my account locked out the next day. I strongly disagreed with Metas and with the (then) Editor in Chief when I felt strongly. I was promoted. That is what happens - editors who show independence of thought, whether they agree or disagree, are valued and more often than not promoted.

No doubt there are abusive editors who have evaded capture for a long time - it can take 6 months, a year, more, of monitoring to gather proper evidence that will convince every meta of guilt. One day the abusive editor will make a slip and they're nailed and removed. A long while back you gave a list of abusive sites and when editors went to look most of them were listed by removed editors. Isn't that proof enough for you that where the evidence exists the editor is removed?

Let's say for the sake of argument that you made a slip and one of your accounts was removed. It will happen one day. In an open system the nature of your slip and how it was detected would be revealed to you. And to the world. That would enable you to avoid making that same slip again with another of your accounts, or with a new one, and give prior warning to other abusive editors about detection techniques. I can fully understand why you would want to know the hows and whys of one of your accounts being detected - your desire for openness is purely one of self-interest. If you were not an editor who had admitted abusing the directory in more than one way then your case for openness might be more credible but instead it is rather hollow. The innocent might have nothing to worry about but openness doesn't help them at all. For the guilty the end result is the same both ways - removal. So openness can only aid them in the future.

That said, when an allegation has been made against me I am more than happy to respond to it, I would rather know and face the accuser. Others are less confrontational and feel intimidated. It is also true that where false allegations have been made publicly you can detect a noticeable drop-off in the productivity of the accused editor which is neither good for the directory or the editor concerned. And if the process was open then there is a good chance that people would feel more intimidated about coming forward with a suspicion and that isn't good either.

The only argument I can see in favour of a more open process is in the instance of an innocent editor being removed. I am sure it has happened, I am sure it will again. Two things there - first (from experience) if an allegation has been made and it appears out of character for the editor but nevertheless the complaint seems on the surface to have some merit an Admin or Meta will probe the editor about their actions. Second, the removed editor can appeal, and I know of at least one successful appeal.

brizzie, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Another blah, blah posting to say that everyone should trust DMOZ and Metas and they are always right. Do you really need to write so much to express such a simple message? :rolleyes:
    You always post about you speaking your mind in DMOZ but have you ever thought that may be the reason they didn't care was because your desired changes are just cosmetics and nothing of substance. ;)

gworld, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  5. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not writing it for your benefit gworld but for anyone else that might be tempted to take any of your crap seriously.
    I simply use my own experience as an example, it is one example of many but I tried to be brief. :) On the other hand you just make unsubstantiated dramatic statements with the intention of making mischief and misleading people.

I have a reputation to uphold. Nobody does it better and I have hard evidence of that in the form of awards. ;)

brizzie, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Crap according to brizzie:

• Volunteer organization must have clear procedures for volunteers to participate in decision making.
    • There should be an open and honest procedures for handling of abuse allegations.
    • There should be clear guidelines that are enforceable.
    • The corruption shouldn't be tolerated and there should be proper procedures that stops it.
    • Illegal and questionable web sites that are harmful to minors should not be advertised by listing in the directory.

:rolleyes:

gworld, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  7. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    Gworld you say you are against corruption, but you are giving poor advice in this thread to attempt to sneak in dmoz. You are actually showing you are for corruption.:rolleyes:

Don’t you think people who are viewing this thread who are A) corrupt and B)with illegal sites will try to use your advice you are giving them?:rolleyes:

crossman, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is possible. That is the unfortunate cost of fighting a corrupt system. This will also give possibility to those who can not get in because their competition is an editor or because of stupid guideline to have a listing. It also makes it difficult for DMOZ to stop people from criticizing the directory with the treat of never listing them. Like anything else, it has positive and negative effects.
    Correct the problems is DMOZ, implement a honest system and procedures and there will be no need for such things.

gworld, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  9. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't say everything you post is crap gworld. Just your unsubstantiated wild allegations. What is crap according to brizzie:

• Conspiracy theories with no hard evidence.
    • Manipulating discussion so that literally whatever the answer from one end of the spectrum to the other it somehow constitutes evidence of high level corruption.
    • Talking about openness and honesty whilst telling people how to abuse the directory by hijacking listed sites having admitted doing so yourself, holding multiple editor accounts, and sabotaging anything constructive that might address your concerns.
    • Insisting that DMOZ change its entire structure and concepts whilst failing to take note that the changes would have a detrimental effect on the listing of non-commercial sites and citing failure to take that seriously as evidence of corruption. Ignoring any and all criticism of your system.
    • Pointing at abusive listings and claiming it to be evidence of DMOZ failing to act on abuse whilst knowing all the time that the editors responsible had been removed for corruption long before.
    • Insisting DMOZ remove editors on suspicion and circumstantial evidence of abuse whilst at the same time accusing DMOZ of removing editors without proper evidence of abuse.
    • Asking DMOZ to reveal its abusive editor detection methods whilst not saying that such a change would enable you to hide your own tracks much better

Points 1, 3, 4, and 5 of your list that you claim I consider to be crap are commendable in my opinion. I simply disagree with you on how far DMOZ has actually gone and the ways they could be improved upon. Point 2 is worded in such a way that to disagree would appear unreasonable, i.e. a trap. The abuse procedures are clearly documented and as they stand give the benefit of the doubt to an accused editor.

brizzie, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  10. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    If dmoz is corrupt, how is that fighting? You can not fight fire with fire, you only grow the flames.
    There would always be a reason for corrupt and dishonest people to do such things.

Instead of giving bad advice, why not help edit the directory? Or encourage people to join?

So are you saying you are for corruption?

crossman, Jun 13, 2006 IP
    sidjf likes this.
  11. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    Brizzie, I think perhaps we are wasting out time with Gworld and Minstrel. I in fact am getting bloody bored with the same old same old, every thread. But it won't make any difference, in fact I'd be tempted to think that they probably skip by most of our posts without reading them through properly. Even if they did, the overall impression I get is that they are way too far gone and too firmly entrenched in their suspicions about Dmoz, it's methods and it's editors to ever, ever change their minds anyway. Is it worth debating with such people who will never change their minds and will never be swayed from their beliefs. What's the point of arguing with them ?

Gworld/Minstrel, please feel free if you think that taking on board a few editor viewpoints and real life editing experiences may be a possibility someday. But you haven't given the slightest hint or conceeded the smallest detail ever for Dmoz in all the time I've been here.

I salute you Brizzie and other editors for still remaining calm and actually trying to answer their questions and respond nicely to the insults. I on the other hand am beginning to get a bit jaded by the whole thing ( ie this thread had nothing to do with peadophilia, Adult or Anorexia )... yet EVERY thread somehow almost always end up talking about the above 3 areas of concern Dmoz-wise. I've resorted to a few insults myself I'm not proud of, but honestly...I wish Gworld and Minstrel would just take a few deep breaths and a little step back now and again.

No-one else gets a chance really unfortunately and I was looking forward to chatting and exploring possibilities with OWG. However, logged on to find the thread hijacked again. I just wish you'd keep the seperate issues confined to the threads for them, but you never do and it always turns into some sort of Adult related thread regardless. It really is killing all semblance of debate here.

Oh go on then !! I don't consider myself the best looking but am certainly blonde ( with a bit of help from my hairdresser recently ) , and if it distracts from Gworld/Minstrel hijacking all the threads then am only to happy to whip out my bikini an jump in a mud pool. My son used to watch WWE and I've always been tempted to do one of those flying 'body slam' things. Any takers ?

Ps. Off topic but OWG ? Is it possible as a Celt, to feel somehat 'overdosed' on the St Georges Flag and Jon Motson the last week or so, despite not considering oneself an ardent nationalist at all ? Now there's a debate and a half huh ?? :D ;)

shygirl, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I simply encourage people to read my postings about different listings in DMOZ and make their own judgment about "how far" DMOZ really has gone to improve the directory. :rolleyes:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=53712

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=70309

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=73698

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=67319

And many others like this. ;)

gworld, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  13. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    See what I mean ???

Not even the thought of me in a bikini and mud wrestling will distract from Gworlds mission. :eek: I'm hurt. My cellulite isn't that bad ! :mad:

shygirl, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I posted before noticing your post about bikini and mud wrestling. ;)

gworld, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  15. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And since already listed sites are almost never re-reviewed unless Robozilla detects a 404, your listing is there forever...

helleborine, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  16. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    Shygirl and a Dmoz colleague debate deeplinks within the breast enhancement category. ;)

Attached Files:

shygirl, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  17. buratssky

buratssky Peon

Best Answers:
    You sound like an editor or a former editor.:D
    That doesn't sound quite like a shygirl and the picture doesn't represent it either. Its more of a mudgirl.:D

buratssky, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It must be a former, an editor will not admit to it. ;)

How is going with your editing, are you bored yet? ;)

gworld, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  19. buratssky

buratssky Peon

Best Answers:
    Not yet. I'm doing it whenever I have the time. I will let you know when I get through that point, meanwhile I'm drinking coffee and finding some sites to add. Do you like coffee? Do you want some coffee? :D

buratssky, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  20. wongsak

wongsak Guest

Best Answers:
    :( I submit to dmoz for 3 times 3 month.Result = nothing

wongsak, Jun 16, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.