1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ editors: Please post this in internal forum

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gworld, Apr 10, 2006.

The new thread that has been started by an Admin about deep linking practices in adult, is going no where and in the end will result in another rewording of the old guideline which will be simply ignored by adult editors.

The problem is not with how the old guideline was formulated or the number of the pictures, the problem is with adult editors ignoring the present guideline both in general and adult section:

From DMOZ general guideline:

"Sites Generally Not Included

Affiliate Marketing Schemes

What Does "Affiliate Marketing" Mean?
    Revenue sharing between online advertisers/merchants and online publishers/salespeople, whereby compensation is based on performance measures, typically in the form of sales of products and services, clicks, registrations, or some other hybrid model.

Sites Consisting Primarily of Affiliate Links

Sites consisting primarily of affiliate links, or whose sole purpose is to drive user traffic to another site for the purpose of commission sales, provide no unique content and are not appropriate for inclusion in the directory. "

From DMOZ adult guideline:

"Image Galleries

Sections for groups or galleries of pictures, listed by category and type: membership, AVS, or free.

Doorways and affiliate sites are not accepted. "

enforce the above guideline and abuse and multiple deep links will disappear. The problem is not with sites having advertisement or affiliate links, the problem is that those pages listed are not a real site and only doorway pages for affiliate programs that redirects the user to main site.

Ask yourself this question:

Why should DMOZ list a doorway page by an affiliate instead of the real site? ;)

gworld, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  2. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, the thread really isn't new but you're an editor, just do it yourself if you truly believe this. :)

compostannie, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well, If you read the posting by the meta in that thread, you will see that what you are suggesting is not a very good idea, specially since Meta is so upset about "some webmasters" losing their links. ;)

gworld, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    What is the connection between the meta and the webmasters who might lose their links?

minstrel, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  5. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't got a clue and I know if I ask gworld I'll get suckered into a long, frustrating game of chase the doggie's tail that ends up going nowhere.

I've already posted my opinion in the internal thread. Gworld, if you want to get your say internally you have the freedom to do like the rest of us and simply post. If you truly believe what you say, then be a man and say it yourself, it's no big deal.

There is more than one meta in that discussion, maybe you're just upset that one of them referred to you as a muppet? ;)

6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    It was a semi-rhetorical question actually, Annie. Look for participants in that discussion who have a vested interest in multiple links for their own sites.

7. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    I agree with Compostannie. Just post it yourself.

I have posted a few things on there that would upset some people but no one ever jumped all over me. If its wrong it needs to be fixed. If you upset some people then they shouldnt be there.

aaron_nimocks, Apr 10, 2006 IP
    sidjf likes this.
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer to make changes and stop the abuse, going on suicide missions really doesn't appeal to me. ;)

gworld, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  9. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    True, you would be removed instantly your identity became known. I would give it 10 minutes max from posting to account disabled. But then what would it matter, gworld? You have more than one account, sacrifice one for the greater good.

brizzie, Apr 10, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    For me to post your opinion, I would have to share it. I don't. I've asked you in the past to just tell me what it is that you beat around the bush about, but you won't and there's really no other way that you can make me share your opinion. You have to convince me, you cannot bully me. That was supposed to be the point of the egg photo. ;)

I have a lot of editing to do. I'm one of the idiots who still actually reviews submissions and I'm not done yet. I'm not going to waste my time following your clues... simply reveal your facts if they exist, either here, or any other way you wish to contact me. If you convince me, I'll post your opinion for you. It's that simple. And don't worry, no one actually dies in DMOZ.

Will.Spencer and noppid like this.
  11. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    It takes a big man to incite change. At least you are willing to admit that someone else will have to do it for you. :/

noppid, Apr 10, 2006 IP
    Will.Spencer and compostannie like this.
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Are you going to claim that no eggs were harmed in the making of that photo? :eek:

13. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    My egg was harmed. Gworld's was only embarrassed. :cool:

14. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Not when they have so many lives they are virtually immortal...

Actually this is gworld's opportunity; the current debates on Adult reform started in December by me were based in part on investigation and research initiated by some things said here including by gworld. The thread started by an Admin on revising deeplinking guidelines in Adult is a consequence of that original debate. Indirectly, gworld has got attention for one of his points from an Admin who is willing to take it seriously and seek change. I would say that is pretty good going really. It will be nice to see gworld supporting DMOZ Admins from now on...

brizzie, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I knew it! Eggbeater! :mad: :eek: :eek:

sidjf likes this.
  16. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am ready to donate another egg for you ;) :D :D :D

maldives, Apr 10, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I support anyone who is against the abuse. ;)

gworld, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  18. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, you certainly do not! Unless you consider stabbing them with a pointy stick to be support.

Perhaps I'll do a minstrel egg for Easter. ;)

19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You say that like it's a bad thing... :confused:

Some of my best friends were creatures I met while they were trying to stab me with pointy sticks.

20. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    G, dude I don’t get what you have typed. How are you making change if you are not actually doing anything? You just asked someone else to post your opinion…

….. Then you say it is a suicide mission to post your opinion :)confused:)

crossman, Apr 10, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.