1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Inner pages PR higher than main page???

Discussion in 'SEO' started by AfterHim.com, Feb 27, 2006.

1. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, figured this would end up in website reviews...

NetMidWest, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  2. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't post my site :)

None of the theories explain the lower PR for the main page even though it has the majority (by far in my case) links.

Maybe it is a toolbar thing...

Maybe google wants to start sending traffic to targeted pages, not targeted domains....

AfterHim.com, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    hasn't google always done that?

And yeah, on the toolbar one of my sites is PR0, on the DP tracker it's PR5, go figure. I know which I'd rather believe ;)

sarahk, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  4. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    If they stopped the iterations short of fully calculating PR, it could explain the problem. Google would not be fully crediting your internal links back to your main page.

But another theory I have been pondering has to do with the patches applied to the algos during the whole 302 redirect bug debacle. Around August of 2003, when I first started noting the problem, (which I believe was due to Google beginning to spider dynamic urls) there was some discussion of missing index pages. Apparently, googleguy did not see much in this, but eventually the google engineers found the problem though they were not able to fix the problem immediately. There seemed to be some delays in implementing the fix, but they eventually did fix the problem, although it does appear that the fix was not perfect.

Anyone who read Matt Cutts' blog announcing BigDaddy should have noted that one of the reasons that the changes were made were for cannonicalization and to help fix the 302 redirect problems. (See also: New Infrastructure)

I think the patches for the missing index page problem have been removed, as they were part of the 302 redirect bug, or at least compounded or hid the problem.

You see, folks, we have been using a flawed search engine and trusting our incomes to it for quite some time. Look at my first post in this forum - bugs are the reason I came here and started posting. I have been chasing the wrongly attributed PR problem since last October, and have had plenty of time to study it. It was no big suprise to me that there were more and more people complaining of the problem, and it becomes obvious from some posts that google is still tweaking the issues.

This problem seems to be at the very core of the Google algo.

Now as for why this is in website reviews? I guess that someone sees this as a review of Google's website, when in fact it is a discussion of flaws within the Google algo. This should be in the main Google forum, where everyone can see it, because when you think about the way the internet is interlinked, and Google's PageRank scoring that interlinking, it affects every site on the web that Google crawls.

-Lawrence

NetMidWest, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  5. beukie

beukie Peon

Best Answers:
    Same here,

after last pr update i have now a pr4 homepage (which it already was) and like 30 pr5 innerpages. Very difficult to understand but ofcourse this many pr5 pages is great ;-)

beukie, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    My "vote for digitalpoint" page has PR3 but the home page has only PR2 - although Google's own crawl stats show the homepage as being the highest.

[​IMG]

Google have said the google toolbar must be treated as an unreliable gimmick. What do you all use to get the "true" PR?

Attached Files:

sarahk, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  7. Sharpseo

Sharpseo Peon

Best Answers:
    How well you rank in the SERPs :) A lot of times there's a pretty strong correlation between PR and ranking, but often there's not.

Sharpseo, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    huh? I was meaning - where do you get your PR reading...

I use
    1. digitalpoint keyword tracker
    2. google toolbar
    3. firefox extension
    4. code which calls google using the &features=Rank option
    You'd have to figure #4 was the most accurate although #1 and #2 should be equally reliable.

sarahk, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  9. Sharpseo

Sharpseo Peon

Best Answers:
    I must have misunderstood you question. If Google says Toolbar is an unreliable gimmick, they mean that it doesn't mean much. Where you get your toolbar readings from doesn't matter, it just depends which datacenter you happen to hit.

If you want to see PR across lots of diff datacenters, check here.

Sharpseo, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  10. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    There is only one tool I have found that will give you accurate, current PR as reported by various datacenters.
    That tool is the McDar Datacenter Q-Check Tool.
    It will show you PR, backlinks, and rankings for specific keywords across all known datacenters.

It is not a prediction, it is live.

NetMidWest, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  11. jkomp

jkomp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Check www.acflying.com some of the inner pages are PR6 while the home page is pr3.

jkomp, Mar 4, 2006 IP
  12. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's one to chew on, try this out on the McDar Datacenter Q-Check Tool:

url: past.twilightparadox.com
    kw: free blog hosting

Also try allinanchor:free blog hosting for the kw field...

Check out the url returned...

Look at the site. Do you even see an anchor? There is no cache, I thought I was looking at a 302 redirect, perhaps it was and has been fixed, but I don't know what the hell it is.

Google is crawling wrong, attributing the wrong url in the serps...

NetMidWest, Mar 4, 2006 IP