1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Transition Away From iTrader...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Sep 17, 2010.

1. MarcL

MarcL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I must agree... will you reset the instant payment feedback when this conversion / upgrade happens then? I dont want to start with a negative from the old instant pay system, as the other party and I both just used iTrader & direct payment.

MarcL, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  2. WebBuddy

WebBuddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with TechSole. iTrader is a faulty yet simple system which is accepted all across forums. Although it is susceptible to fraud, it is an excellent starting point - something which this system may never be (and I may be proved wrong a few months down the line :D).

I am one of those people who would have paid attention to any mail from DP forums marked "ATTENTION" or "IMPORTANT". Instead of receiving a mail, I came to know of this new system more than 1.5 years later (after the thread was put up) when I tried to exchange an iTrader. When I joined in 2009, I exchanged several iTraders but then I got busy with my family and other stuff (and I thought that since I had a respectable score I could relax a bit and not worry too much about pursuing every buyer/seller to give iTrader) and when I came to know of this new system, a good part of 2012 had already passed. So, I missed out on several opportunities of gaining these points. In fact, I came to know of this when I made a few sales and having received money through the traditional method, I progressed to give the other party an iTrader and there it was in block letters "iTrader is going away". That is when I came upon this thread. Had I know that such a system was in place, I would have taken active measures to build up a rep myself.

I respect Shawn for the success he is and no doubt he's intelligent enough (and entitled too, of course) to know what's best for HIS forum, but as a humble member, I didn't like this being kind of sprung upon me. I know Shawn would have a sound argument for whatever I have said here ... so I am not expecting him to say "You are right" LOL, I just wish he'd taken the time to send a simple mail periodically (say every 3 months) after this system had already been put into place. Amazingly enough he's not doing that even now - I am sure he has his reasons.

WebBuddy, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Actually, looking at the data, the people not using it is by *far* the minority. And the bulk of those also didn't use iTrader (probably transactions that actually never happened).

But even if that wasn't the case, everyone is on equal ground, so people would just think, "Oh, that's from the time when no one used it..."

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    digitalpoint, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  4. promo

promo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its been a while since I used Itrader here at DP. But recently I had a reason to do so and came about this thread.

I am sorry to chime in with the naysayers here; but in my view the "old" or current Itrader system is a great tool. Frankly I dont understand the argument against it. I have always used it to initially investigate potential business leads.

The thing is that a scammer might have 100es of fake positive Itrader ratings. But if he had just a 1 documented (in thread link) negative itrader rating, that says it all to me.
    So it might not be the best of systems, since a single somebody has to give him the first tag. But in my view its essential that people in some way can "mark" scammers for others to see and heroes for others to adore. I vote for development, not dismemberment.

Viva the Itrader guerilla that has kept the system in place since September 2010, when this thread was first started :)

promo, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  5. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    One problem with that: just look through the feedback thread and you'll see reports of fake negative iTrader left, where no transaction has taken place, just people were angry and did it to be vindictive. With the new system, feedback can only be left when a transaction actually took place. That makes so much more sense and makes the feedback a lot more trustworthy. Some people do not leave feedback with iTrader due to fear of retribution. The new system can't totally eliminate a negative comment being left, but it can at least prove a transaction took place and Scammer X can't get his/her friends (who weren't involved in a transaction) to also leave negative feedback for someone.

Whatever way Shawn had approached this, everyone would have been unhappy. He allowed time for people to build up a reputation with the new system, but people are unhappy. If he had dumped iTrader immediately, people would have been unhappy. It's never possible to make everyone happy, but this was surely the lesser of two evils. However, it's surely time for iTrader to die off altogether now.

ryan_uk, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  6. promo

promo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well thats why I wrote documented negative itrader. I dont scan, I read. Frankly I dont see "fake negative" feedback as being much of a counter argument. So lets surely agree to disagree. I think the itrader system is great.

promo, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  7. TechSole

TechSole Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Shawn, I've just had another buyer who is not aware of this. I thought I would try and locate the "buy it now" link for the transaction. I can't find it. I've looked in "Marketplace" settings, and it appears the "for sale" tab only applies to ebooks. I then looked at the emails I've been sent and neither has this link I need to supply to the buyer. One email is telling me I have a bid and the other is "auction" is ended.

Could you let me know how I am supposed to be supplying this information?

TechSole, Jan 14, 2013 IP
  8. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    When someone wins an auction, they (the buyer) receive an email with the title, "You Have Won an Auction At Digital Point Forums". Within the email, there is a piece of text "You can pay for your auction here:" and below it a link:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?do=pay&t=666

(Obviously, there's something other than 666 there.)

So, this is all assuming you had the auction set up for instant pay. BUT, I looked at several of your auctions and they're not all set up for instant pay. View the auction and look for, "Instant Pay With PayPal:" and it will either be "Yes" or "No". If it's one of the auctions set to yes, then the buyer must look in their email for the link, not you look in yours.

ryan_uk, Jan 14, 2013 IP
  9. Zoti Media Group

Zoti Media Group Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes its done. Good luck to all. Lat's start from 0 :)

Zoti Media Group, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  10. GamingOn

GamingOn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My legacy trading rate is the same as my iTrader rate so I don't think that its at zero... maybe it will still change. I like the faster load time of the forum and welcome the new system. :D

I got many trophies and am happy with that.
    All and all good forum keep up the good work.

GamingOn, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  11. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There is a reference to the old number of itraders you collected in the marketplace tab in your profile

Sensei.Design, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  12. promo

promo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To me its a disappointment that no legacy Itrader points are kept. I rarely trade here anymore, but having 100% itrader for over a 100 transactions since 2006 always helps me trade here at DP and is a big part of what makes me come back. Starting from scratch is so disappointing, and frankly it probably means I wont bother building a rep here in future. Who knows how long ones new rep will last before the slate is cleaned.

I understand the need to modernise, but frankly I think you are marginilisng the effort and time that has been spent building our reps. So to me its a slap in the face. Transition period or not.

promo, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  13. GamingOn

GamingOn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is there still a services section? I am not finding it... :D

GamingOn, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  14. promo

promo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    promo, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  15. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    History is built into the system at this time. It is found in your profile, I believe.

Smyrl, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  16. Smyrl

Best Answers:
    Smyrl, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  17. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    There was already a two year transitional period. In user profiles, click the Marketplace tab to see a note of the legacy iTrader rating.

ryan_uk, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  18. Love*

Love* Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I am a little sad about the change, must be because it's my first time to use the site this way, & I feel like a newb now with zero iTraders, & having no idea how things work... Anyhow, I am always one to embrace change. Change is always good.

I'm just confused about the sale editing, I tried to edit one of my sales threads (from "Set Price (sell one)" to "Set Price (sell multiple)". But the latter option is disabled & cannot be selected. I wonder why that is? Thank you!

Love*, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  19. Smyrl

Best Answers:
    Smyrl, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  20. MarcL

MarcL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When its all said and done I really like the update, more features then I anticipated.

MarcL, Jan 20, 2013 IP