1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

There is NOT a PR Update going on!

Discussion in 'Google' started by prowler, May 27, 2005.

1. mxlabs

mxlabs Peon

Best Answers:
    My google toolbar does not want to show a PR for a couple of hours now... I changed nothing on my side. anybody else with a dead toolbar?

mxlabs, May 28, 2005 IP
  2. teamshop

teamshop Plainsman

Best Answers:
  3. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    mxlabs, do you not read threads before posting :p lol only kidding! PR is not showing on toolbars at the moment, they are grayed out. No one knows why this is, if it's a bank holiday glitch or if PR is been replaced by something else..

Darren

Edit. Whoops someone got there before me! :)

DarrenC, May 28, 2005 IP
  4. zez

zez Peon

Best Answers:
    Without PR all the links strategies will be dead.... there will be anarchy in SEO world....

zez, May 28, 2005 IP
  5. mxlabs

mxlabs Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry, I did a brief search for "toolbar" but couldn't locate anything that described my problem...
    thanks for pointing me to it, I was about to play with my firewall settings ;)

mxlabs, May 28, 2005 IP
  6. boohlick

boohlick Banned

Best Answers:
    It is not!! ...

its just that google has doing some update in its algo.. thats why it affects the pr of all sites.. theres no nothing wrong with your toolbar

boohlick, May 28, 2005 IP
  7. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The move from from Google was a surprise but not unexpected.

Since more and more businesses are going online every day, making websites(or let someone make it for them), PR has become a crucial point. When, for example, a reputable company goes online and starts with a low PR it can and has truly affect(ed) the image of a reputable company in a negative way.

I guess Google will keep PR as a secret from now on.

Arnie, May 28, 2005 IP
  8. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    things are messed up over at the google house right now for sure

Got this error on my adsense screen

The requested URL %2Fadsense%2Freport%2Fhome was not found on this server

web-rover, May 28, 2005 IP
  9. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    PR is a weighted average of your backlinks compared to the max number of backlinks a site on the Net has, simply put... they're not "brother and sister", more like "daughter and mother" :D

LOL!

davedx, May 28, 2005 IP
  10. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    Not to mention coop and link-vault, etc. Lots of head aches to come for many.

gford, May 28, 2005 IP
  11. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    As of 10am this morning (eastern USA time) I just used DP's back link tracking tool (also tracks PR) and a new site of mine went from a 0 to a 1. My old sites still show same PR's. However, using other tools such as seochat,etc I am still seeing 0/10's.

gford, May 28, 2005 IP
  12. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe Google just dropped PR like this, it's just a glitch. PR is still very important IMO, not about serps though.

Give Google some time to fix it, how about one week? I'm patient, don't forget to reward me a PR 8.

hurricane_sh, May 28, 2005 IP
  13. iMacFlats

iMacFlats Active Member

Best Answers:
    No glitch grasshopper. No glitch. A glitch doesn't last this long in the world of Google.

iMacFlats, May 28, 2005 IP
  14. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree.... something fishy is definitely going on.

toddieg, May 28, 2005 IP
  15. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, a big glitch then, nothing more.

hurricane_sh, May 28, 2005 IP
  16. wrkalot

wrkalot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The tool bar also shows that PR is unavailable, NOT 0/10.. but who cares other than people that rely on PR to make a living?

wrkalot, May 28, 2005 IP
  17. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean every webmaster on the planet? If you want to link to someone, you often use PR to verify the site is legit. I also check their page is cached by google so i am not pointing to a bad neighborhood.

So all web masters who give a crap about how they link is the answer.

gford, May 28, 2005 IP
  18. wrkalot

wrkalot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I'll exchange links with just about any site that is themed and well presented. PR is a consideration but far from the most important one. A good webmaster will research the site and not rely soley on visual PR. Lets get real, visual PR is a joke for the most part and has been for a while. I respect your posts/opinions Glenn but amature webmasters care... not the smart ones like you and me :)

wrkalot, May 28, 2005 IP
  19. iMacFlats

iMacFlats Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think Google realized it solely created "Web Spam", useless sites that are created for the sole purpose of adsense clicks. I personally favor adwords ads when I do google search, I always have. Lately, it seems like even those links go to web spam.

Doing away with it, in fact, countering it directly with things like Trust Rank really go to create a healthy internet, until the new drug starts being used not as desgined.

Page Rank is a neat way of saying, hey, what is the value of your site and reference to my site's value. But, honestly, if I have a site that reports and has forums on the latest widget by Acme Company, why on earth would I want links from sites who's visitors have no interest in widget's by Acme Company? You never would have done that in the old days, but in a Page Rank world, you do.

I believe that by shutting down Page Rank, Google is doing away with the internet "mofia" so to speak. A world unrelated. Who knew, in the design labs at Google, many moons ago, that Page Rank would be used in such a defiled fashion as it is today? I mean, the concept is awesome, let's rank sites based upon who they link to and who links to them. This was under the concept that people have and will continue to link based upon personal opinions of a given site, and that site's users interest in a given link. Not based soely on PR ranking and unrelated sites.

This is one nasty web that Google weaved.

Now, with Trust Rank, the ways of the "PR Webmaster" going to be a cold knife? Can a site with legit content and some mix of "web spam" (strictly for adsense clicks) be a killer for the legit site? Will they have to releave themselves of such content and focus strictly on the legit? What is the recovery time for such methods.

Honestly, I removed ALL Link-Vault links off my site for the time being. Since the webmaster world is at a stand still, I'm not going to be caught with dirty hands.

iMacFlats, May 28, 2005 IP
  20. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    pr has become such a pain the in ass when you want to trade links, I hope its gone forever.

ferret77, May 28, 2005 IP