1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion: Do Away With Religion/Politics Posting

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 22, 2014.

Okay, so I have another suggestion: Let's ban political and religious posting here at Digital Point. As someone with fairly well-established views in both religion and politics, I tend to find myself getting involved in these sort of discussions. Unfortunately, I have yet to see such a post on DP that has been anything close to productive or friendly. In fact, I've just spent the past couple days forum-warrioring with a guy who has called me every kind of stupid and simple-minded moron simply because I don't personally believe in evolution.

Everyone is entitled to their views and if this person wants to act like an ass and sling mud and disrespect anyone he doesn't agree with, fine, but such behavior is pretty out of place on a forum about web development and online marketing. The fact is, I have participated in quite a few religious and political threads and none of them were productive. Most had someone talking shit and it really goes a long way toward making you simply not like certain people.

A prime example is an individual I had some very productive discussions with about marketing, then had a disagreement with in a religious post and now I find I can't stand the guy. When it comes to religion, he's an outright ass.

Another marketing forum I frequent recently did away with such threads and banned the posting of political or religious threads and the atmosphere drastically improved as a result.

Just my opinion, but I really think we should keep things here a little more on track...

Solved! View solution.
    Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 22, 2014 IP
  2. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It's been discussed before and sadly won't happen, It keeps all that crap in one place and off the main sections of the forum, I agree there is no need for a Politics & Religion section on an internet marketing forum, it's full of jerks. Best thing to do is stay away from the cesspit, like I do.

malky66, Aug 22, 2014 IP
  3. Jameyson MacDonald

Jameyson MacDonald Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's what that "ban" tool is for. If discussing politics and religion are prohibited in the forum, then doing so in any thread would constitute a violation of the rules.

The fact is, rules are only as effective as the ones enforcing them. From what I've seen the admin and mods here are pretty good at enforcing the rules and I guarantee if a ban on political and religious discussions were put in place, you may have a few who test the water from time to time, but for the most part, these type of inciting posts would stop.

4. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    What's the problem with just avoiding that section?

As an intelligent person, you know that people like to discuss such topics (and just because you don't agree with them doesn't make them stupid), so on such a big forum it makes sense to have such a section. Going around banning people for discussing such a topic would be silly.

Avoiding that section works well. I sometimes even forget it exists as visiting it is through choice.

Or learn to separate personal feelings from business/get a thick skin.

ryan_uk, Aug 22, 2014 IP
    malky66 and Content Maestro like this.
  5. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    On a forum about politics or religion, yes it does make perfect sense to have these topics, but not on a marketing forum. In fact, this is one of the few marketing forums I have even seen such posts on. And if people were just "discussing" these things, that too would be fine, but look at the threads about religion and politics and show me just one that hasn't turned into a cesspool of mud slinging and name calling.

6. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    It's a big and active forum. Like @malky66 mentioned, better to have all this junk in one place rather than spread around a few areas. Most forums have a "general"/"off-topic" section, so it's nothing new. Maybe you just need a bottle of whisky to help your hurt feelings disappear? :) It's there, you don't have to visit that section and it is not harming you physically.

AKA people who are passionate about what they believe in. If it really bothers you that much, you can filter it from. If you're using Chrome, install the Stylebot extension and use it to set the relevant CSS to "display: none;", which will cause it to be hidden from view. (Other browsers have similar addons or such capability by default.)

ryan_uk, Aug 22, 2014 IP
  7. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    I'll never understand why some people enjoy being assholes, but my suggestion to do away with the political / religious discussions had nothing to do with "hurt feelings". Take a trip over to http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php and you'll see me arguing my ass off about religious views. But whereas a forum about religion is a suitable place to have such discussions, a marketing forum is generally not.

You seem to misunderstand what I mean when I say "do away" with these topics. Your statement that it's "better to have all this junk in one place rather than spread around a few areas" implies that you think I'm speaking only of doing away with the category and leaving it at that. What I'm suggesting is a forum-wide ban on political and religious discussions. Believe me, if this is done, you won't have these type of posts cropping up in "a few areas". When's the last time you were on http://www.warriorforum.com? This is exact what they did and violation of the no religious/no political posting rule is enforced...

Don't get me wrong, even with the religious/political category, this is still an awesome forum and I wouldn't stop frequenting it just because the admin didn't follow my suggestion. It's just a suggestion and these are just my opinions...

8. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And that is why I never read threads about religion or politics....

cronik, Aug 22, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  9. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    And we go back to the point that going ban happy won't resolve the issue. Look at every forum (especially noticeable when you manage/moderate forum): regardless of the rules, people will always break them. Pretty pointless to do away with that section and then ban people (or even giving them infractions). On big forums like this, mods have enough to deal with, IMO.

Is Religion & Politics a WSO on WF? :D The place sucks, why would I ever want to visit there again.

Each to their own, though.

ryan_uk, Aug 22, 2014 IP
  10. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    Maybe you think it sucks, but it's pretty popular among webmasters and marketers and has a very large following.

11. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Jameyson MacDonald, I understand your concern but the fact is @digitalpoint HIMSELF has mentioned the following here -
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/politics-religion.512033/.
    I guess if the forum owner HIMSELF is saying so, there's NO explanation needed further.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Content Maestro, Aug 22, 2014 IP
  12. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    No, nor me, but's it's what you are being most of the time as far as I can tell, if you were as intelligent as you claim to be you would just learn to avoid the sections of the forum that you don't agree with, this forum isn't here just for you you know.

malky66, Aug 22, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  13. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    Please enlighten me. I'm wondering where I've been being an asshole in any of these posts? I've made a suggestion and stated my opinion about the matter. I haven't once slung any insults, called anyone names, or been disrespectful in the least. I simply responded to arguments against what I've said with reasons why my position makes sense to me. On the other hand, I've been told to "dry your eyes, princess" (in case you haven't noticed, I'm not a female); I've been indirectly called stupid ("if you were as intelligent as you claim to be")...

It's really sad, but it seems par for the course that some people simply don't know how to respond to something they don't agree with without resorting to slinging some type of insult...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 23, 2014 IP
  14. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Post#7, when you called someone an "asshole", and if your too much of an asshole to be able to avoid the sections of the forum you don't personally like..then you make yourself look like an asshole.
    On a side note, I see you're still using the P & R forum then, you can't want to do away with it that badly if you're still posting there.
    I'll bet you havent...

malky66, Aug 23, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  15. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    It is what it is and when you sling insults, that is what you're acting like... I was simply calling it like I see it. Besides, when you called me an asshole for making this statement, were you not doing exactly what you called me an asshole for doing? LMAO too funny.

If you re-read Post #7, you'll see that I said I enjoy discussing religion and politics and I do this frequently, as is evident in the fact I am a regular on one of the largest spiritual forums out there. But just because I enjoy doing this and have done so here doesn't mean I don't think doing away with these sort of posts on DP would be a good idea.

And you're right, I obviously haven't :D

Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 23, 2014 IP
  16. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have, your superiority complex and superior intellect is simply overwhelming..:rolleyes:

malky66, Aug 24, 2014 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  17. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    LMAO I'm at a loss for words with that one. I haven't been made fun of like that since elementary and all I can really do here is laugh. :)

Jameyson MacDonald, Aug 24, 2014 IP
    For the same reason CL has Rants & Raves so that the stupid could get their stupid out and then go and post normal, sane ads.

qwikad.com, Aug 24, 2014 IP
    Jameyson MacDonald likes this.