1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sites being heavily penalized by Google

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by WabbyTwax, Jun 21, 2006.

1. AlexandraUK

AlexandraUK Banned

Best Answers:
    All my sites except the ones with coop are fine.. Only the sites with coop got banned from google.

LOL, there are so many ppl here banned because of this and you say everything is fine/ lol ... can all of us be idiots like you said when you red rep me?

AlexandraUK, Jun 17, 2007 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    AlexandraUK:

Don't let the bastards get you down. :)

Will.Spencer, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    minstrel, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  4. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    AlexandraUK,

Yes, google penalized YOUR co-op sites, just for the fun of it. I don't buy it, I never got it. You think your sites are a representative sample of ANYTHING? You have no proof, you are just here, along with will.spencer and some other guy, all with different stories, claiming the co-op hurt your rank in some way. SOMETHING may have made you drop in the SERPs, but you have no proof it was the co-op.

I've never stopped using the co-op and gone up and down a TON of times. Was it the co-op? I doubt it, I stayed in and came back up. You probably quit, came back up, and now are making the incorrect assumption that it was the co-op. But whatever, it's free, and if it's so harmful, get out yourself and stop telling others it will destroy their rank when it won't.

Will.Spencer,

You are just as bad. You come here with no proof, spouting off ridiculous claims (i.e. This )

nddb, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  5. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    I fail to see how a drop in the serps, a reinclusion request, you stopping the co-op, then restarting it, then a rise in the serps.... relates directly to the co-op at all. I think you are making a lot of assumptions and not using ANY factual data here. define:fallacy my friend. See which one fits.

nddb, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Seems to me there's a simple solution here.

If you believe the Coop still helps you, use it.

If you don't believe it helps, or worry that it's hurting, don't.

Either way, just do it. Quit arguing about it.

Personally, I used it for only a short time on two forums. I seemed to provide an initial boost for one which soon fell away. I saw no difference at all on the other. Therefore, I dumped it.

YMMV, of course. If it does, you'll make a different decision.

But the bottom line is that it's all supposition anyway - not just for those who believes it doesn't help or has an unacceptable cost, but also for those who believe it helps.

minstrel, Jun 17, 2007 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  7. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    I concur. I shouldn't say that it's a fact that it WON'T hurt your site. But I believe it is a grave error for a very small % of co-op users to run around telling everyone that it definitely caused them to be "banned" (but not really) or penalized (maybe...). You are right, there's no proof on either side, and there probably never will be.

But that is the point, people should not be saying "the co-op is ruining me" or "google is erroring and causing me to lose $5mil a day!" When they just really have no idea what is causing it, and apparently haven't really tried to figure it out.

nddb, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    LMAO... if the rest of your "sites" are crap just like this one then kudos to Google for getting rid of them.

fryman, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  9. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, you are not kidding. :eek:

nddb, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  10. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    That's hilarious, coming from the king of icon sites. :p

11. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a difference between content and spam. Beginning to think that is what most people complain to google about... in reality. Their inability to tell the difference between spam and content.

nddb, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  12. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    It really isn't all supposition. There are obvious and simple means to test co-op effectiveness.

Testing co-op penalties is much more difficult, due to the significant level of randomness in Google's policy enforcement.

I have seen the co-ops good effects enough to believe in them. I'm running another test now and I can see the effects even today.

I've also seen penalties which are correlated to the presence of co-op links -- but not 100% correlated. And, as we should all know -- correlation does not equal causation.

In addition, I've seen penalties subside after co-op removal and after re-inclusion requests. And I've seen both of those strategies fail.

Some people would argue that we shouldn't test, that we shouldn't inquire, that we shouldn't file re-inclusion requests, that we shouldn't complain to Google about issues with their algorithms. I am not one of those people. I am a scientist. I test, I observe, I evaluate. I improve my world by taking intelligent proactive steps to achieve my goals.

To those who wish to wallow in their own misery of never knowing why things happen and how the world around them works, I have only this request: Don't bother the rest of us with your tirades. If your head is comfy in the sand, leave it there. Don't expect the rest of us to appreciate your self-imposed ignorance.

13. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    FFS. Are you kidding? We all have our heads in the sand because we don't test, evaluate, and draw incorrect conclusions based on a tiny data set that really means nothing? As a "scientist" (pfft.) you should know that your tiny data set, your tiny observations of X many sites out of billions, and your changes don't prove any conclusions.

A scientist would know this, but time for a refresher.

If anything they rank about on par with hypotheses, they aren't even theories.

You have a hypothesis. You don't even have a theory because it doesn't apply to a variety of circumstances to explain the ups and downs of SERPs. Your sites are a miniscule fraction of the billions of sites on the net.

So don't tell us that we have buried our heads in the sand. We understand this perfectly, and we aren't emailing google "dozens" of times to find out why we fell in the SERPs.

As I said, if I was in charge of complaints, and you had sent me dozens, I'd knock you way down in SERPs just for that. Dozens of requests and reinclusion requests... ugh... thanks for wasting time for the people who REALLY need it.

nddb, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  14. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Luckily, you're not in charge of anything except the "Idiotic Ranting Department" here at DP. :rolleyes:

Will.Spencer, Jun 18, 2007 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  15. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    I kind of thought your "i'm a scientist, i don't have my head in the sand" was quite the idiotic rant, but why don't you stick to the topic and address the point that YOU HAVE NO PROOF.

Personally insulting me only makes it looks like you are out of ideas and can't refute me or Fryman's points.

Out of curiosity, do you use the co-op? How much total weight do you have? If the co-op causes drops, why would anyone use it?

Or perhaps a science question, is the weight in the co-op relative? If my weight is 100x yours, is your weight worth 100x less? If I have a low weight, does my overall weight go up when some big site leaves the network?

nddb, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  16. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Prove to me that one plus one equals two. :rolleyes:

Read back, you're the person who has consistently taken this from a rational discussion to a personal one.

Uhhh... I stated in my last post that I am using the co-op. Can you not fucking read?

My current stance is this: Use the co-op on sites where you don't care about Google SERPS.

If a site leaves the network, they will take both their inbound and outbound impressions with them. The net effect to you will be zero.

Now, quit bothering people and get back to not working on your sites.

17. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Glad to see that this argument is still going strong. :)

chachi, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  18. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I think that people argue as an excuse not to work on their sites. :cool:

19. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    Really you jumped in here, the main problem I have is people saying the co-op definitively caused SERP drops, but then offer no proof. If that is not you, just walk away and we are cool. If that is you, I'm sorry, we'll never agree, until you prove your wild assumptions

nddb, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  20. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I don't know but this thread would be better with more pics of Alexandra

ferret77, Jun 18, 2007 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.