1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please be assured that your site is not currently banned or penalized by Google

Discussion in 'SEO' started by Will.Spencer, Feb 22, 2006.

1. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Will... it's the avatar dude. :D

My question is... with this obviously affecting your income, hence the bit of emotion I sense in this thread, what are you doing to compensate while you wait?

Im just asking because I know I will eventually face this dillemna sooner or later.

GeorgeB., Feb 23, 2006 IP
  2. alexplank

alexplank Peon

Best Answers:
    I am facing a similar dilemma. Google should not be so flaky. My income is being affected greatly as well. I am working on adding more content to my site, however, although I already have gigabytes of data (now with 2/3rds less of an audience).

Google why are you so cruel? :(

alexplank, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  3. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Hehehehe... I am so sick of this avatar, but I am keeping it until the Muslims stop killing people over these cartoons.

Ahh... I have a day job and other (non-penalized) web sites. Still, having this fixed would bump revenue up about $200/day and that would be very very nice.

The key is to have a lot of irons in the fire and never to be reliant on any one of them.

Will.Spencer, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  4. alexplank

alexplank Peon

Best Answers:
    You must be quite rich. Why do you keep your day job? If I had that kind of money I'd be traveling the world with girls and a private jet like the Rich Jerk does. :p

Seriously though, I think what Will.Spencer said about not putting your eggs in one basket is a very good idea. Google is a company whose only reason for indexing you is to get them profit. If indexing you doesn't coincide with those goals, they may not index you. And taking one site off of their index isn't going to affect them in any way. There are billions of sites out there. Googlers as a whole aren't going to notice the absence of one or two or even 100 sites in the index.

alexplank, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  5. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    Because Will needs a day job to keep his sanity, seeing all those money rushing in. :D:D

devin, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  6. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I'm not rich, I work for a living. :D

One thing I've learned is that no matter how much money you make, you can always find ways to spend it.

I keep my day job because I work with some of the best people on earth and I owe them a great deal. I'm a small business owner/operator. My team likes me and I seem to be reasonably good at running the company. Until I can find an equally competent replacement, I'm their guy.

That's the real point for discussion here. It appears to me that these flaws in the Google database are frequent and are becoming more frequent. This could present a real problem for Google, as it directly affects the quality of the SERPS which they deliver. This is a core competency for Google, Inc. and it is one at which they seem to consistently fail.

7. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Will, your reply sounded much better then your opening post. ;)

I guess ya gotta get it off your chest now and then huh?

Carry on! :D

noppid, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  8. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I just seem to have really poor communication skills at times. :eek::eek::eek:

9. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Just an update...

After almost a year, this domain is still penalized and Google has failed to respond to dozens of requests for information, clarification, or resolution.

This is an old domain (2000) and has 4,427 inbound links. Yet, it has the approximate "authority" or "mojo" of a new domain with less than a few hundred inbound links.

I have long since made up the lost revenue from this penalty, but I actually like this web site and would like to share it with the world.

In the year since this penalty was placed, I have upgraded the forum from phpBB to vBulletin, received many new inbound links, and improved the content with many successive rounds of changes.

Nothing seems to work for more than a couple of days. When I pour in improvements, traffic will pop up for a day or so and then the penalty appears to be re-tightened and traffic will drop down again.

Most recently, I have added NOINDEX directives to hundreds of pages on the site -- pages that were added last before the penalty was applied.

I probably should register a new domain name and delete the current site with no 301 redirect which might allow the penalty to transfer from the old site to the new site. It's just hellishly difficult to convince myself to throw away those 4,427 inbound links and that seven year old domain.

Will.Spencer, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  10. happymondays

happymondays Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I give you a good advice for free. If the renewal time for the domain is close, then wait and let it drop (to registrar lock state) and change the registrant info. Or, transfer the domain and change the registartnt onfo. Also, change something on teh site pretending there are new owners. This way you need to wait only six months (!) and the domain will be indexed again.

I know, I bought a dropped domain accidently last summer. Back to the Google game as Jan 1, 2007... For six months I was wondering why my site is banned...

happymondays, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  11. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Hmm... the domain expires on 22-Jul-2015, but I could easily register a new domain account and transfer the domain.

But, Google would know it was me because my AdSense account ID is on every page. Matt Cutts admitted that Google uses AdSense ID's to track web site owners.

Google are a bunch of sneaky bastards -- I just wish they were as competent as they are devious.

Will.Spencer, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  12. happymondays

happymondays Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    open a new account, too. that's obvious. If you are really out of ideas, you can do it... Even, you can spend some days without AS on the domain making the owner change more realistic.

happymondays, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  13. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    You are lucky I am out of red rep for today. This is ridiculous, to attack google and fryman simply because your site dropped in google. Do you know how many times I have gone from say, #20 to #700 for a keyword in the last 3 years? Do you have any idea how many times I have gone from 1 indexed page to over 60k?

Do you know how many times I emailed google or requested reinclusion? 0.

You know why? Because it's so ridiculous to think that they are singling you out. How self-centered does a person have to be to think that their site is being penalized for no apparent reason, and they should email google to get it "fixed." There's an old saying.... "shit happens." Today... it's happening to you. Tomorrow someone else.

With google it's all a waiting game, just ride the rollercoaster, or just put it out of your mind and not think about it - otherwise you just stress yourself out and annoy the rest of us.

----

Edit :

Honestly? Dozens? I'd penalize you just for being annoying. =)

nddb, Jun 16, 2007 IP