1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bug Site is VERY VERY slow

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by EvcRo, Feb 21, 2013.

1. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I forgot that .59 doesn't respond to ping requests, so it's normal... blink is a machine plugged into same switch.

digitalpoint, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  2. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    (Impolite might be making a comment about someone's English, they could instead explain if someone is confused - that individual might not be technically minded.)

For the Google IP (which I figure must be geographically local for you with Google's network) and blink.digitalpoint.com I'm getting lower response times than you (when pinging).

I just opened https://forums.digitalpoint.com/forums/google.5/ and it took 875ms to receive it. My bandwidth is lower (by about 12mbits) than yours, but my connection is optimised for low latency. You both might want to look into this for improving page load times. Or instead, "digging your head in the sand" by just blaming one place and not willing to look elsewhere.

ryan_uk, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  3. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Also, what browser are you using? When using this site, some browsers aren't using the HTTP protocol (even though it looks like it). If you are using Chrome, Firefox or the new versions of Opera, you are actually using SPDY as the underlying protocol. So there can be a huge difference depending on the browser used.

digitalpoint, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  4. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ryan_uk, other forums load in about 5 secs with firefox and less with chrome.
    digitalpoint, I already mentioned, I am using firefox and chrome.

dlatua, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  5. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    So why am I not experiencing the same slow responses from DP? Why isn't everyone else? Or there would be a flood of complaints in S&F, surely? After all, it's a busy forum and who could tolerate such slow page loads? I definitely couldn't.

As I mentioned, in the UK (so having to go transatlantic, too), but not having the same problem. (I've tried Chrome, Opera and Firefox with the "new" DP.) Shouldn't I have the same problems? Also my connection is a lot lower bandwidth than yours (just optimised for low latency, so I get quicker page loads - maybe your ISP also provides such connection optimisation?). Another difference being our geographic location - you might have a longer route. Did you do a traceroute? Did you analyse the page load in the Google Chrome network panel (there is a time breakdown for each request) or FireFox's FireBug?

ryan_uk, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  6. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why should I know the answer?

Everyone else? I'm sorry, what's the thread title and who created this thread?

Flood? I have around 50 posts in this section. What about you?

There are lots of bigger sites that load much faster. This isn't an excuse.

dlatua, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Agreed... the problem is I'm not able to replicate what you are seeing.

Even Googlebot shows page loads being about 2.5x faster after the switch (see chart in this post).

digitalpoint, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  8. flowersn

flowersn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm unable to see the Digital Point forum with Firefox or with Chrome because I disconnect the Internet connection. I'm wasting my valuable time...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    flowersn, Feb 23, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  9. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I accessed the xenforo.com community and it loads very fast 1-3s
    It is wired actually that DP loads so slow for me. I will search for a screen recording app in case someone doesn't believe me.

Was this post necessary?

dlatua, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's not that no one believes you, just saying that whatever it is appears to be something specific to you for the most part... that might be a bad Internet route between your computer and the servers or something (or maybe something else). What you are seeing isn't something I can replicate, and from going over site speed stats in Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools, on *average* users are seeing about 2.5x faster site loading than before the migration.

It's tough to troubleshoot on this end when I can't get it to happen for me. :(

digitalpoint, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  11. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    You just wanted to intentionally miss the point? Really odd.

Two people within the same country. Geographic location is a factor due to the route it might take. I suspect you already know that and just want to miss this glaringly obvious point.

You knew what I meant - posts from other people regarding slow responses - but you seem to just want to behave like you have a chip on your shoulder instead. Strange.

Are they all located in geographically the same place? Do they all have exactly the same network route? I doubt it. I tried to suggest to you something that might help (optimisation of your connection for low latency), but you seem to want to ignore anything relating to troubleshooting or suggestions. That's odd.

You mention Xenforo.com - it's located in a different data centre, which for me is two less hops and also on a completely different route. There's a slight difference in page load speed - a bit faster (in ms, not to the level of seconds you are experiencing) on Xenforo.com, but that could be due to several factors (shorter network route, smaller forum, less users on it, the fact I am logged out, so it could be serving me cached pages instead, etc).

ryan_uk, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  12. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Two people?
    1 OP
    + has a like, most probably who liked the post has the same issue
    So it is 4 from 10 users who posted here (including the dumpiest post from flowersn).
    Something is wrong with your counting or math, you choose.
    I am a back end user. I don't care where are the servers located. This isn't an excuse.
    I don't see any point to discuss with you anymore, since you see what you want.Don't expect any reply from me.

@digitalpoint. you have mentioned clearly that a user can like a post which is helpful for all the community. Now have a look at the flowersn post, what's the argument this time? I have also reported a similar post too, but nothing happened.

dlatua, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  13. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That post was liked by austech who has a history (and a warning apparantly) for liking posts from moaning whingers..surprised he hasn't liked yours yet..

malky66, Feb 24, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  14. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Have you seen how active the forum is? So, 4 people out of many thousands (I guess) who visit daily. Suggests that it's something more specific for them, which you don't seem bothered to investigate.

flowersn was being sarcastic (he doesn't really have connection problems) and I found the post funny.

I just wanted to try to help you narrow down where it is, but as you don't care about that I won't bother.

Have a nice day. :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    ryan_uk, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  15. Austech

Austech Member

Best Answers:
    • Off topic

Still in here trying to become a moderator ? Keep up the good work and remember, keeping your head near an admins arse should get you there. And if anyone asks, just tell em its brown lipstick ;)

Ever thought that he more than likely doesnt even want a reply from the wanna mods and is actually addressing the issue to shawn ?

Unless the wanna mods now also have input to server configuration as well ?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
    Austech, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  16. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    ryan_uk, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  17. Viola94

Viola94 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Site works well for me, but sometimes site seems to be "down" for few minutes, last time was down (for me) yesterday, for about 30 minutes. I'm from Romania and I use Mozilla, have somebody else noticed any downtimes or there are just local problems?

Viola94, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  18. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    • Off topic
    Nope not really..although i see you're still here trying to be a retard...well done you succeeded..;)

malky66, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  19. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What Internet provider are you using in Romania? It seems most of the people with speed issues seem to be in Romania for whatever reason.

I just checked our site speed analytics and drilled it down to just include Romanian users, and *overall* it looks normal, but maybe there's a specific ISP in Romania that we are having issues with.

digitalpoint, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  20. ryan_uk

Best Answers:

I was getting nginx bad gateway errors earlier for a short time, but it's the first time I have experienced it. It didn't last for long (sorry, I don't remember what time or exactly how long - a few minutes, I think). Otherwise pages are loading much quicker for me since the change to Xenforo. Next time it happens, try doing a traceroute in a CMD prompt, but with the -d option:

tracert -d 216.9.35.51
    Code (markup):
    That will give you an idea if it's local or DP.

EDIT: Just had the nginx bad gateway error, but it was momentary. Clicked refresh and page loaded immediately.

ryan_uk, Feb 24, 2013 IP