1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should we pay for mods?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by The Pheonix, May 23, 2007.

1. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    You don't know how much I make or don't make as I don't boast about it, good business is to keep your business to yourself. BtW, what is PR? ;)

There are always people with bigger revenue and deeper pockets. I just hate it when someone who has a) has no money or b) is too damn cheap tries to tear apart a product that works because THEY don't like it. If you don't like it Phoenix don't buy t but your making an A$$ of yourself telling people it's bad business sense when the product increases revenue and "ROI" the catch acronym you love using so much.

No-one's tearing anything apart Dubz, as much as you might hate it when someone doesn't agree with you, I might feel the same way on your views. I never started the ROI 'acronyn' other posters did to (in my opinion) lamely justify thier views, I simply used it in line with that. As for making an A$$ of myself, put my post to a business forum and let's see who's business model makes the most sense.

I haven't seen that debate so can't comment, but hey, if you can make your point heard so can I. I don't discredit anything, I often disagree with things and can usually justify why, but discredit, never.

The Pheonix, May 26, 2007 IP
  2. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    a) I'm not boasting I made a valid point you chose to ignore.
    b) You are making an A$$ of yourself.
    c) Everyone who has installed that mod swears by it. (We're ALL wrong. YOU are right :))
    d) Your also trying to discredit An0n who you don't even know. You said his coding is "ok". Let's see some of your work.
    e) Bring this to a business forum and anyone with any sense / savvy would say it makes no sense to change a whole script / structure to save 100$ on a mod that will bring in MANY more submissions. The only reason when it would be feasible is if you have a) no traffic, b) no pr and c) no submissions... So yeah if your starting from scratch you could make the switch to save some $. What script is this that you talk about?
    f) you should look up the vBSEO argument you could learn something.
    g) What dir do you run? Do you work for another script? Something is a miss here. Why are you so against coders building useful tools and people paying for them?

Dubz, May 26, 2007 IP
  3. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Nope, never ignored it, not interested in how much you do or don't make, some are in it NOT to make money.

Shit happens.

Never once said the mod is bad! Doh! I said it should be incorperated into a script.

Wouldn't dream of dissing a fellow coder even if he's a self taught, some of the best are self taught. Show you some of my work? You show me yours and I'll show you mine. ;)

Who's asking anyone to 'change'? Script is phpLynx.

I will.

Under construction, you'll know soon enough. :cool:

Don't work for other script, YET! open to offers though, never diss coders or people paying for them, I just think its a waste of money if they are already in other scripts, all down to personal choice and business sense.

4. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for validating my points. :D.

Good luck with your dir.

Dubz, May 26, 2007 IP
  5. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    You are the one who has issues when people disagree with you, and prove it over and over by ignoring relevant comments. You being a shameless promoter of a script that, while it has it's good points, is not the know all end all of directory scripts.

As far as a business decision, people are making money solely by going with phpld and an0n because of the trust value involved. This is what people that are considered old money do, they make safe bets to ensure their position in the market. This is a smart move and provides future security for their directories that already exist.

If you want to advise people who are about to start a directory to use lynx, go for it, but be honest about all its "features" and tell the whole story. Dont pump up it's good points and ignore the rest. Your style of plugging your product is not making any friends.

This is all you have to say about any of my comments "As I said, up until then it was a great discussion on the merits for and against the need for mods or not and then someone comes along and baffles with bullshit, coz I don't know what the hell all that red writing was about! who the f is Dick Trickle, never heard of him? What directory does he have?"

Baffles in bullshit huh? Politicians make a few bucks by that but you prefer to make your money by dodging questions like Neo does bullets. None of my comments were bullshit and were totally relevant to what you were saying, but since you couldn't reply intelligently you say I baffle with bullshit.

BTW: Dick Trickle used to be ESPN's favorite racer because of his awesome name, glad to hear you are one of the boys. And his car does not hold a candle to Jeff's, which was the part of the analogy that you ignored.

ErectADirectory, May 26, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  6. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    To all interested parties....

As per Clear instructions in britishguys thread lets not start a bashing contest amongst ourselves and try and keep the conversations clean and informative...

cant handle someones comments? :mad:......
    step away from the PC and come back at a later time after you've cooled your jets (works for me...well sometimes) :eek:

Trust me i know im know one to speak........ but im trying daily to keep my sanity :p

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 26, 2007 IP
  7. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    Very good and sorry to everyone for adding fuel to the fire. I just hate it when people don't tell the whole story and I tend to be a bit of a smart ass in replying sometimes.

Mr. Phoenix - good luck to you and as I've said many times on a few threads, the lynx script is a good one. Just don't pump it up as something it is not as it has many shortcomings ... it's inability to accept any outside mods is only one of them.

8. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, yes
    This is what I always miss on DP Directories forums.
    Now malcolm said something preety wise and important. Though even he sometimes... :)
    So, maybe less talking, especially by all of those who are not so good in mods, scripts, seo and even simple html.
    Maybe some should read much more than posting useless words.

And coming back to mods. Mods are for those who knows what to do with it, for those who knows what are they for, for those who knows they're only addons and will not help you without good promotion and other unique ideas. Will not help you only because you have 150 deep links and 50 additional categories :)

dargre, May 26, 2007 IP
  9. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Its was not to be taken personal or to heart by any member here as it was a general comment and nothing more... :)
    I like your posts ErectAdirectory and they show wisdom and effort and truth on your part... kudos to you

As for the mods....

Plain and simple some may choose to pay others not...
    Its one of simple choice and if you have the budget for it as well
    as the submittions coming in then great! :D give your customer what he
    wants and needs and you will be doing him/her a service as well as
    yourself a favor...

Though as dargre plainly stated deep links is not intended for all
    and your money could be spent on other more important needs like
    advertising or anything in general to improve the quality of your directory.

thx
    malcolm

10. LeopardAt1

LeopardAt1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Even though I do respect you trying to prove a point of yours, I do want to mention some things about it.

I think Dubz was the first to bring it up and perhaps you didn't fully understand it.

The ones willing to spend $100 don't mind because they have already started their directory already using phpLD. For them its obviously much easier to purchase additional features, then to abandon their entire directory and its db. I guess thats why some choose to pay the $100 for a feature...if they felt like it was worth it, then so be it.

Also you have to understand, the reason why there is a "mod" business is because phpLD is so widely used that one way directory owners want to separate themselves is to add extra features. Its these features that allow a directory owner to feel more unique.

Thats what I'm talking about. You can't just go out and state that you see people being misguided or spending unnecessary money. Not all are being misguided, some are left with having no choice to pay $100 for a feature they really want for their established directory. If you not too technical and had a directory using the phpLD script for 1 year with 10,000 listings, are you willing to just abandon it and pay for another directory script so you can have additional features? Or would you go and look to purchase the feature? And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say theres no misguided people. Those who are very new and are still in the process of deciding a good directory script, are the ones vulnerable to be misguided. Remember those who don't know any programming can't really judge a web application like programmers can.

Your point your trying to make with deciding a directory script does however make "business" sense to those just starting out (or starting a new dir) and perhaps those who aren't too established with their existing directory script.

But if your going to try to convey that then I might as well try to make even more business sense by conveying this point:

Why not just go use a free OPEN SOURCE directory script (OpenLD). With a Open Source community of programmers contributing, you can bet that additional mod's and features are to be built inside for free. Not only that as a programmer, I usually love popular open source scripts because of all the people being able to spot security holes. Just look at how well oScommerce is doing with their shopping cart script. They have tons of free mods its ridiculous.

LeopardAt1, May 26, 2007 IP
  11. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    here is the point in a nutshell,

• If I went to phpLD and bought it and ALL the mods I needed to make it run the way I wanted it would cost me well over $300. Probably more as the directory world evolves.

• If I went to phpLynx I could buy the script WITHOUT backlink and with lifetime support for $100 and FREE upgrades for the rest of the scripts life.
    You work it out the MATH, I know I did.

Sorry to use phpLynx as an example as I know it rattles the cages of a few, I wish I could have used another example, but I couldn't. It's not just phpLD, its with ALL opensource scripts and most people know it but don't like to admit it. Oh how the blind are so easily led.

All said and done, before the debate gets out of hand as that's not my intention lets just leave it with us all doing the math. :cool:

Disclaimer: phpLD is a good script, its NOT phpLD that I am getting at, its the exploitation of its opensource and lack of funding to make these mods get implimented at no cost to the end user.

12. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    You know i think leopardAt1 said it best when he said yip sounds like a good deal for someone that is looking to build a New directory...

Myself well ... im always up for something new BUT im so used to using phpld that i doubt ill be switching anytime soon
    as money only gets you what you pay for plus they dont offer as many templates or features for me to convert over at this Time
    and im set in my ways ........nothing more

And im starting to think that DP should build the DIRECTORY SECTION larger to accomodate ALL scripts as well so that we can grow and NOT have these types off issues as this section would BOOM if it offered a phplynx and Phpld and syndicat and all others were people could ask question in that section about why isnt this working or that working and can some one show me what mods are here and stuff like that really slows the main directories section down... just my 2 cents

thx
    malcolm

13. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One of my favourite quotes is "you never regret buying quality". When I first bought an0n's deeplink mod he insisted on having a conversation with me to make sure I thoroughly understood it's functionality. When I accidentally overwrote my submit page with an old non-deeplinks page (I hadn't even realised) an0n noticed and reinstalled the deeplink page from his backup.

I've also purchased mods and had great support from http://www.linkforever.net/pld_mods.php

So as a not-very-techy person I'm happy to pay for mods from trusted members of this forum, I find other members appreciate my mods and provide the return on my investments.

syted, May 26, 2007 IP
  14. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    Please explain to us all the exploitation that happens in semi-stable open source projects and how commercial projects avoid this. And before you start, getting your site cracked is not something that only happens with open source stuff, EVERYONE (lynx, phpld & all) is subject to this.

So you feel that the lack of funding has really stood in the way of the open source movement? Perhaps you should take a look around and realize that even your script is relying on open source software to keep it's heart beating (LAMP). There is NO commercial script on the internet (or off, listen up M$) that can touch stability and cost of most open source projects. People are there to help unselfishly and never ask for anything in return. This is what a community is all about!

Lifetime support, huh. I seriously doubt that in 40 yrs, support will still be offered. While I am sure that any questions for phpbb (as an example) will still be documented and, being open source, any changes can be made on the spot. Can encrypted software offer this?

Dude, knock us because we ask the hard questions but don't knock open source software. It might be the only pure and true thing left on the internet.

15. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:

Haa, funny once someone said that to me too when i jumped into hosting business. And guess what ? His hosting spree is over now :D .

Now i know why phplynx hired you for their marketing at DP :p. Right on Matey (dunno what that word means but whatever,must be some business term used by 9 year old business boys ? )good work..;)

paidhosting, May 26, 2007 IP
  16. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    What a pointless discussion. Personally I couldn't care less which script I'm using and for my upcoming Educational Web Directory I have actually been looking into php lynx, just to do something different than everyone else is doing here, but have been advised against it. Not just by members here, but also countless friends out there who are programmers, and most of them have stated that phpld is the best way to go. Nobody dissed it, they were just not that impressed with it and thought phpld was the best way to go, in part because of the quality of mods available for it.
    I couldn't care less about the name of the script I'm using nor about who created it. I want to provide a good service to those who submit and those who use my niche directories to find what they're looking for.
    The deeplink mod not only has a search engine benefit, it also allows visitors to get to the right section of the right site directly which adds convenience.
    Your posts remind me of a guy I knew at the old afternic domain name chat who would make statements such as
    "I wouldn't spend more than $100.00 for a name like business.com, I own collbusinesswebsitedirectory.net and will sell it to you guys for 5k."

Like they always say
    "The market will decide. If you try to beat the market, it will eat you alive."

Right now we don't know anything about you other than you like lynx, are employed by lynx, or just don't like a few people here.
    Maybe you should try to impress people by showing what you can add to the community. Tearing down others gets you nowhere.

Oh and a part of the reason why php lynx is such a turn off for me is that because the owner himself spends far too much time arguing on forums as well.

I know enough dumbasses here that I could do that with if I was bored enough.
    What I need is ideas and help to run my business and do my job.
    If I wanted to fight or waste my time, I would go to the bar 2 blocks down instead and then come back here with a clearer mind.

I don't particularly like the latest phpld version, but I use it anyways.
    So if you have something new or better to offer, then by all means: Start a thread about it and let your work stand for itself.

The point is that you don't have a point, and the more you post here, the clearer it becomes.

Blogmaster, May 26, 2007 IP
  17. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Its funny that for once no one is bashing my head to the wall.. I feel left out here. Hello ?? ... Check out my thread if you want to bash me lol..

paidhosting, May 26, 2007 IP
  18. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dont like that the thread starter obviously had an ulterior motive which came out through the course of the thread.
    I replied in honesty regarding no script but in general
    take your marketing and promotions to the correct places please and dont waste our time
    oh yea and well said blogmaster

discover, May 26, 2007 IP
  19. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Thanks Blogmaster, well said, and compiled and now is this not an opportune time to :-
    Close what has become a boring, waste of time Thread
    Thanks again Mike :D

britishguy, May 26, 2007 IP
  20. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess anything that's considered an accessory to another product should be free huh??? Stop being cheap...

BlueDevilMedia, May 26, 2007 IP