1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should links be blue?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Anveto, Dec 7, 2014.

?

Should links be blue?

1. Yes

10.5%
  2. No

10.5%
  3. If the links stand out its no problem

78.9%
  1. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Oh? When did Google and brethren start reading and applying css? If you do (correctly) a{font-weight:bold;}, it has no effect on search results.

kk5st, Dec 15, 2014 IP
    deathshadow likes this.
  2. Naina S

Naina S Active Member

Best Answers:
    Links should be in bold, but not necessary blue. Is is said search engines looks bold letters for keywords.

Naina S, Dec 15, 2014 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, multiple mouth-breathers in a row who are under the delusion that appearance has ANYTHING to do with what search engines see.. probably because they heard that the tags of <b> (meaning a proper title of a person or organization) or <strong> (meaning "with more emphasis"), much like numbered headings (meaning the start of a subsection of the section of the page started by the lower numbered heading preceding it), <i> (meaning a proper title of an object) or <em> (meaning "with emphasis") all get a slight upswing in ranking if not overused or abused... but that has jack **** to do with if it is DISPLAYED that way or any changes to that appearance you apply!

But again, "Semantic markup" -- aka USING HTML PROPERLY is a concept lost on the people who cannot separate in their minds the default appearance of the tags from their meanings. Big tip, if you are choosing your HTML tags based on what they look like by default, you are choosing the wrong tags for ALL the wrong reasons.

To be brutally frank if you think that the topic of this thread would have ANY impact upon SEO, you don't know enough about HTML to be flapping your gums on the subject; do us all a favor and LEARN some HTML and CSS, and take a quadruple helping of Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform until you do.

Of course that said posts are broken "Engrish moist goodry" hardly comes as a surprise either...

deathshadow, Dec 16, 2014 IP
    Anveto likes this.
  4. UglyMug Reviews

UglyMug Reviews Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    wow, you feel better now.

UglyMug Reviews, Dec 16, 2014 IP
  5. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    On the subject of web development I haven't felt good since 2008. We were winning the war, now it's back to the bleeding edge of 1997 practices and actively promoted ignorance of what HTML is, what it is for, or how to use it properly. The steaming pile of halfwit BULL known as HTML 5 certainly not helping matters.

There's a reason I have a "disgust to the point of nausea" with the industry as a whole right now, as the whole shebang seems to be filled with nothing more than a bunch of filthy little degenerates. Scripttards, SEOtards, PSD jockeys and a whole host of other ignorant halfwits and outright scam artists who have NO damned business even MAKING websites!

deathshadow, Dec 16, 2014 IP
  6. UglyMug Reviews

Best Answers:
    its to bad your so upset. it sounds like you have a lot to offer people like me who are just starting out.

UglyMug Reviews, Dec 17, 2014 IP
  7. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest you pay attention to what he says, and not so much to how he says it.

g

kk5st, Dec 17, 2014 IP
  8. UglyMug Reviews

Best Answers:
    I guess your right. I'm learning here already.

UglyMug Reviews, Dec 17, 2014 IP
  9. Anveto

Anveto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with your post completely :) The reason I started this topic was not in regards to SEO but more for conversions, how do I get as many people as possible to see the links on my website and know that they are actually links and not just bold text. I have found some answers to be helpful in regards to what people see as links and what also may or may not look good, I think both points are important.

Anveto, Dec 18, 2014 IP
  10. Ray209

Ray209 Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as you don't use black which is IMO the worst choice, and avoid stuff like bright yellow or green, you should be alright. Blue links remain a solid choice.

Ray209, Dec 18, 2014 IP
  11. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In the back of everyone's mind, when they visit a site for the first time, is a small whiny voice whimpering, "Oh, s..t. How do I use this page." If the designer let his ego run wild (designer, no real developer would ever do that), your guest has to learn anew how to use the page. It is always a Good Thing to follow convention in the user interface. The convention for text links is blue and underlined. Do something differently at the risk of confusing your guest.

This is called affordance; the form implies the purpose. All industrial designers know this. Damned few web designers have ever heard the word, much less applied it. Affordance is why doors have push plates on one side and handles on the other. Blue, underlined text? It's a link.

You want people to click on your links? Make the links obvious. See Craigslist. Even that bastion of evil, Microsoft.com, gets it right.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Dec 19, 2014 IP
    deathshadow and Anveto like this.
  12. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Which goes back to accessibility norms and things like the "Web Content Accessibility Guidelines" -- You don't necessarily have to have it BLUE, you just need to have it DIFFERENT. Underlines are good so that the colour-blind can see things, blue is visibly different from black for the normal sighted. There is nothing wrong with using a colour other than blue so long as it is different and consistent... You want a light red or tan background that blue is going to look like ass... and not hot airbrushed playboy magazine ass, but cottage cheese please don't wear that thong ass. Nothing wrong with sticking with a colour scheme so long as the links stand out.

A lot of the artsy fartsy "designers" who know jack **** about accessibility, UI design or UX (you know, the same mouth-breathing halfwits who use placeholders instead of labels and can't design in anything other than pixels) seem to get their panties in a knot over using underlines; the only time I've seen it be unattractive or a legibility issue is when in their ignorance of CSS they don't set tall enough a line height, like an idiot don't reset the line-height when they change font size, or if they believe the LIE of not stating a metric on their line-height because some dipshits over at Site Point claims that it works. Oh noes, links have underscores, not that...

A site that more than any other proves what outright bullshit 99% of the garbage "designers" claim is important actually is. So much of the typical PSD jockey's hoodoo-voodoo -- like that spewed forth by other scam artists like SEO-tards, Scripttards, and the people promoting the use of off the shelf templates -- amounts to little more than dumping a can of shellac on a pile; no matter how much you polish it the end result is still just bug **** on horse ****.

Craigslist is one of the biggest success stories on the Internet, but you show that to a designer and -- to borrow from Larry the Cable Guy -- their peeper will shrink in so far it sticks out their backside.

MOST of the REAL success stories of the Internet do not stray too far from convention -- and even when they do (wikipedia for example doesn't use underscores) they stay relatively close to 'plain' because they have actual content of value... Which to be frank is the ONLY legitimate reason to build a website.

Look at the big successes -- E-Bay, Amazon, Wikipedia, Craigslist, Google, Facebook, even Halfwitter (twitter) -- not exactly a visual tour-de-force! You REALLY think ANY of those sites has someone sitting in the back office spanking it on the screen in Photoshop for anything more complex than the logo and some occasional seasonal artwork? PLEASE!

You could do far worse than following their example.

deathshadow, Dec 20, 2014 IP
  13. CYCchips

CYCchips Active Member

Best Answers:
    blue is most common and popular link color,,but it should not must be blue,,

CYCchips, Dec 20, 2014 IP
  14. strawberrybob

strawberrybob Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If it's blue but doesnt fit in with its environment, it's not very aesthetically soothing.. It should just stand out with a colour which matches the theme of the rest of the page.

strawberrybob, Dec 21, 2014 IP
  15. ANKANROY

ANKANROY Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes,
    Links must be in blue in color so that we will know it is a link and whenever we click on the link it will be directed to the respected site.

ANKANROY, Dec 21, 2014 IP
  16. leonidus1981

leonidus1981 Banned

Best Answers:
    You may make your link any color you want, but do them bold or italic 'cause this can have an inappropriate seo effect..

leonidus1981, Dec 24, 2014 IP
  17. Anveto

Anveto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You mean, don't make them bold or italic?

Anveto, Dec 24, 2014 IP
  18. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Did you not read and understand my post #21?

kk5st, Dec 24, 2014 IP
  19. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Much less my post #23...

It really is a laugh when people seem to think the APPEARANCE of something being bold or italic has a blasted thing to do with search. GENUINE proof these idiots have NO business flapping their gums on the topic and are in desperate need of either education, or a quadruple helping of sierra tango foxtrot uniform with cranberry sauce on the side.

The APPEARANCE -- Bold, Italic, underline, size, font-family, padding, margins, width, height, animations or any other goofy visual games you play with them -- has JACK **** to do with how search engines treat content!!!. ANYONE telling you it does has absolutely no clue whatsoever what they are talking about!!!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    deathshadow, Dec 25, 2014 IP
  20. DumbalFaln

DumbalFaln Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, there is no hard and fast rule that the links should be Blue. As long as the user can see there is a link which is click-able that is sufficient.

Sri Lanka website development
    http://www.pyxle.net/web-design-and-development/

DumbalFaln, Jan 6, 2015 IP