1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PHP Editor

Discussion in 'PHP' started by carowan, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    Most of the time I just use notepad. I prefer to do my own indents as some of the editors make the indents too big. When you're coding 10,000 lines at a time the last thing you want is code 5 miles that way ----------------->

I occasionally use Dreamweaver MX which is quite nice when I'm working on layout etc.

Weirfire, Mar 17, 2005 IP
  2. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Any good editor allows you to set the tab width. :)

I've tried about 8 php IDE's. I go back to UltraEdit and do it myself everytime. The bloat is amazing in most IDEs.

A text editor and php.net. That's the way to do it.

noppid, Mar 17, 2005 IP
  3. LPEllis

LPEllis Guest

Best Answers:
    I use Scite. It uses a lexer to higlight the code, it is quite amazing how it can highlight javascript inside php inside html etc.
    Its also blazingly fast

LPEllis, Mar 19, 2005 IP
  4. king_cobra

king_cobra Peon

Best Answers:
    i use dreamweaver and php designer 2005.

the later is cool. and its absolutely free too.

king_cobra, Mar 20, 2005 IP
  5. Cowboy

Cowboy Guest

Best Answers:
    I use UltraEdit. It's not free. About €35.
    I strongly suggest NOT using Dreamweaver.

Cowboy, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  6. gntombel

gntombel Peon

Best Answers:
    I would recommend PHP Designer 2005. I think it's my best freeware I've used. Zend Studio is cool but I guess it's too much for a starter. So I suggest you go for PHP Designer 2005.

1. It supports PHP, XML, HTML, js, VB, SQL, CSS, PERL, etc

gntombel, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  7. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    I use Zend Studio at Work and Ultraedit at home, I have to agree with noppid, it's just easiest to do it yourself.

palespyder, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  8. elkiwi

elkiwi Active Member

Best Answers:
    PhP designer is free and a well featured editor but if you're just starting out using dreamweaver mx is good to get the ball rolling.

Here's a shot of PHP designer:

[​IMG]

You need to set up a testing sever on your machine if you want to preview locally.

elkiwi, Aug 19, 2005 IP
  9. goldensea80

goldensea80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    goldensea80, Aug 19, 2005 IP
  10. UndiesHosting

UndiesHosting Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would say this really comes down to how you will be using php. You mention that you already use Dreamweaver. Will you be continuing to use Dreamweaver for your projects and enhancing them via some php? If that is the case, then Dreamweavers color syntaxing of php is probably more than enough for you. It recognizes variables and function names, and has limited previewing capabilities with php.

Or are you going to expand and create entire applications with PHP? If that is the case then an IDE like Zend or Eclipse with the php plug-in would be more adequate. But if you are going to do what I described above, then they will simply be overkill. Both because they offer much more functionality than you need (versioning, project file management, etc) and because why open another program to edit a small portion of the files you are dealing with.

My main work machine at my office is a Powermac with Dreamweaver MX 2004, so that is what I use most of the time to manage my sites and scripts. At home on my windows laptop, I usually either SSH into the server and edit the files with the vi editor, but recently downloaded php designer 2005. It's ok, but usually overkill for the small changes I make from home.

UltraEdit and Textpad are both very good recommendations if you didn't already use Dreamweaver for PHP support, or if you have another computer that doesn't have Dreamweaver installed on it.

UndiesHosting, Aug 19, 2005 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You didn't make it home from your OE huh? I get auto notifications of posts and wasn't going to read this one but the image comes as a link, not an image and the domain caught my attention.

Here's a thread with pics from home: Google Earth Pics

and a belated welcome to the forum!

Sarah

sarahk, Aug 19, 2005 IP
  12. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I use a combo of ultraedit and dreamweaver. Simple things really work nicely in dreamweaver, but it's not all the way there. On occasion, I'll take the html output of a php function inside the dreamweaver code so I can play with the design a bit.

I've tried the zend ide, but it seemed a little clunky compared to what I'm used to as a c programmer. The snippets were good. I also didn't install the zend debugger thing on my server and I think that would have made it a LOT more useful. I'll probably give it a try again in a few months.

nevetS, Aug 19, 2005 IP
  13. Connect

Connect Guest

Best Answers:
    I use Ultraedit and Dreamweaver. Ultraedit is good not only for php, but also for asp, html and general editing. I only use Dreamweaver when I need to do some complex layout in html, especially a long complicated table layout.

Connect, Aug 19, 2005 IP