1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

igoogle & login merge & security issues

Discussion in 'Google' started by kh7, May 1, 2007.

As google is moving towards 'igoogle' they have asked me (and many others I suppose) to merge our regular google accounts with our adsense accounts. I did so - mainly because I don't have that many e-mailadresses to use as login-adresses. I would rather have them separate, because you know - I want my adsense account to be more secure then the less financially relevant other google products I use.

To my astonishment I found just now that there is no longer an automatic log-out on leaving the adsense website. This is really a security issue for me. There is very private financial information on there and I don't want people to have access to that. Period.

What do you all think - is this just a temporary glitch, or has adsense just gotten less secure?

kh7, May 1, 2007 IP
  2. fireflyproject

fireflyproject Active Member

Best Answers:
    If enough people say something, it will get fixed. I don't see it as much of an issue for me though, as I am the only one who uses the computer that I log onto adsense with.

fireflyproject, May 1, 2007 IP
  3. Imran

Imran Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know about you, but I do see a logout button and I always logout, even after merging my accounts:-s

Imran, May 1, 2007 IP
  4. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, computers get stolen, all kinds of things can happen. It just doesn't feel comfortable. This is just such a basic security matter. On the plus side: switching between google adsense and google webmaster tools is a lot faster now.

I guess an alternative would be for google to have an extra secure password for changing financial information. That's how yahoo solves a very similar problem: one logs into yahoo hosting with a general password and yahoo login-name, but when it comes to changing credit card info, there is an extra 'security key' in place.

On the plus-side: there is a button to 'log out' (I just noticed it). So I guess if I want to I can logout. Still, I'd rather have security fixed without me having to think about it. That's a basic usability thing: things people have to think about, will not get done as often.

Anyhow: fireflyproject, you are right: if more people speak up, something will be done about it. I guess the popularity of this thread will show some of the worries people do (or don't have) about this.

kh7, May 1, 2007 IP
  5. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    you can always add protection on your own machine too. user accounts with passwords.

axemedia, May 1, 2007 IP
  6. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure, but doesn't google have responsibility on this? I mean, phishing does happen (and even to websavvy people like us) - why make it easier.

This works both ways after all. Someone logs into a fake google mail-account > the phisher tries the account info in google mail > gets a helpful google message which type of accounts belong with this login-info > before you know it google adsense revenue gets wired to someone elses bank account.

kh7, May 2, 2007 IP
  7. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if you scared so much just click "Sign Out" button on the top left. surely noone can see or use your information. ^^

tradeya, May 3, 2007 IP
  8. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree...is clicking logout really that hard?

oseymour, May 3, 2007 IP
  9. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes - it is. I just forgot it. This thread reminded me. But it's more then that: security should not be on the shoulders of the user - which is a basic usability insight as far as I'm concerned.

Also: just logging out won't protect me or anybody else from phishing. I'm not really worried about myself in this. I don't use gmail anyhow. The point is that where money is concerned, online security needs to be high - and right now, with google, it just isn't.

kh7, May 3, 2007 IP
  10. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    just make sure you click log out from the igoogle. that should be fine. and dont set the cookie for the page orelse they still can access into it.

tradeya, May 3, 2007 IP
  11. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    kh7, May 3, 2007 IP
  12. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
  13. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What I am surprised is that they do not allow me to change my Adsense email address from my Yahoo a/c to my gmail a/c.

Strange they do not have such a system in place.

infonote, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  14. salmanq

salmanq Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

http://www.propertydir.com Property & Real Estate http://www.dailytrader.com Wholesale Suppliers http://www.australiawholesalers.com

salmanq, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  15. salmanq

salmanq Peon

Best Answers:
    great post man ;)

salmanq, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  16. andyoudontstop

andyoudontstop Peon

Best Answers:
    andyoudontstop, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  17. yantomulia

yantomulia Peon