1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Huge Flaws in the existing system for Buy/Sell Websites

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by yakusokutebayo, May 1, 2015.

So I've been selling a few sites here since the "new" marketplace system is implemented. The new system is a really nice improvement, however if some of the things mentioned here could be improved further, the marketplace could be much much better!

So these are the things that I noticed that need to be improved:

1. Auction sniping (!!!) - This is the major flaw with the system. With the existing system, everyone is able to wait until the very last few seconds before placing their bid in order not to be overbid. It'd be better if DP could add a few more minutes or hours (NOT days, please!) EACH TIME someone bids in the last 10 minutes of the auction time, similar to what Flippa and ebay are doing to avoid auction sniping.

2. Auction time - This is one big confusing thing! So confusing I don't even know where to start. Ok, so when creating a sale thread, seller is asked how long they want the auction to go on. Simple enough, right? Unfortunately that's NOT the case.

Scenario 1: Let's say the seller chooses '3 days', surely someone would think their auction will run for ONLY 3 days. But it's really not. Once the auction is up and the countdown timer is running, UNLESS the seller chooses "Auto-Close Thread 14 Days After Sale Ends", the auction time will keep on extending for 7 MORE DAYS each time a new bid is placed! Frustrating!

Scenario 2: Regardless of how long the seller chooses their auction to run, and regardless of whether any bid has been placed or not, once the seller changes their RESERVE PRICE, auction time will also extend to 7 more days!

Scenario 3: Regardless of how long the seller chooses their auction to go on, once they EDIT SALE INFO (except reserve price), the countdown timer will STOP COMPLETELY and now they don't even know for how long the auction will stay open? (exactly what's happening to my auction right now).

3. Problem with "Auto-Close Thread 14 Days After Sale Ends" option - Seller needs to choose this option if they don't want their auction to keep on extending for 7 more days each time someone places a bid. HOWEVER, once this is chosen, RELISTING an auction is IMPOSSIBLE, because that option doesn't just auto-close thread 14 days after sale ends, it also LOCK the thread COMPLETELY. This means no new replies or bids will be accepted if it's going to be relisted again.

So those are what I can think of right now. I hope DP can improve the system and make it less confusing. Thank you guys for taking the time to read!

yakusokutebayo, May 1, 2015 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    1. It's already on the to-do list.

2. Do you have example sale threads for each of the examples? I've never heard of any of that.

3. Also never heard of that. You don't need to pick auto-close thread in order to have auction be for the number of days you picked. Do you have an example sale where you see that happening?

digitalpoint, May 2, 2015 IP
  3. yakusokutebayo

yakusokutebayo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe other people thought that's just the way the system works so they don't complain? I don't know. But I definitely see this on other people's auctions too, the way their auctions keep extending for too long.

For #2 scenario #3, that's what is happening to my auction right now, here: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com/accesspassplugin-com.260346/domain

The auction time I set was "3 days", and it was supposed to end a few hours ago. But because I EDITED THE SALE INFO (I reduced BIN price and bid increment), the countdown timer completely STOPPED. After it stopped, no matter what you do (change reserve, etc) the countdown timer will not appear. So the only choice is to take it off the market and RELIST (thought I haven't done that yet).

As for #2 scenario #2, take a look at my auction here: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...l-exclusive-themes-nothing-this-good.2746062/

Look for my last post on that thread. It was as I said, soon as I changed the reserve, the auction was automatically extended to 7 more days (I said 6 days on that thread, it's actually 7).

And as for #2 scenario #1, I can't point to an exact thread, it happened on like every thread I created. But you could take a look at this one: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...reen-niche-no-reserve-no-competition.2744645/

And finally #3!! This is technically related to #2 scenario #1, so you can refer to the same thread as above. Because I chose "Auto-Close Thread 14 Days After Sale Ends", when I relisted that auction, no replies/bids can be made.

So that's it. Again, thank you for taking the time to read all this!

yakusokutebayo, May 2, 2015 IP