1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can i get listed in ODP / DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by keralare, Dec 31, 2008.

I have submitted a request to add my website in a dmoz category around 2 years ago. I waited for some time, and submitted again. But nothing happened so far. Only one of our competator got displayed in that category. There are number of good websites which is better (In design and number of visitors) than the listed exists India--> Kerala-->Real Estate. But none has approved in that category. I doupt that probably some editors have some affiliations are blocking further approval.

Is there any chance like that?

If so how can i let dmoz know about such hijakings?

Can anybody help me in this regard.

keralare, Dec 31, 2008 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it is not Page Rank or Popularity that determines whether or not you get listed. The main criteria for getting a listing is 'editorial discretion' and if you feel that the discretion in your category is being a bit too bias, then feel free to call them out publicly, like you are doing now... but also submit an abuse report (you can find the link near the top of the category you are talking about).

Qryztufre, Dec 31, 2008 IP
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can file an abuse report about any category or editor by filling in the form you get to when you hit the "Report abuse" button on the top right hand of the page you want to complain about.

Though please understand that we mean content that is unique when we say we want quality sites. Construction, page rank, visitors mean nothing in terms of being listed. Also we are all volunteers, you can offer to help if you wish, so we work at our own pace in our own chosen area and we do not have to look at submitted sites at all if we don't want to. So your site could be sitting in a Q. But if it is 2 years since your submission, then do it again because we lost all submitted sites in the crash of 06.

Anonymously, Dec 31, 2008 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You might have misunderstood our objectives and how we operate here. ODP is a volunteer organisation building a directory as a hobby. Editors edit where they wish, when they wish and as much as they wish within the constraints of their permissions. We have no schedules or systems to force people to do work that they don't volunteer to do. ODP is not primarily a free listing service for website owners and it does not attempt to process their listing suggestions within the time scales desired by them.

Some volunteer will process your listing suggestions in time but we can't predict who or when that might be. Elapsed times can range from a few days to a few years. There is no need to re-suggest your website and doing so could be counter-productive because a later suggestion overwrites any earlier one.

Bottom line? RE categories can be pretty spammy and it takes a masochistic sort of volunteer to want to work there. It would seem that in the case of the categories that you chose (in defiance of our submission guidelines which require you to choose the one best), there aren't any around.
    Oh, I'm pretty certain that that isn't his problem :D.

jimnoble, Dec 31, 2008 IP
  5. kamnitnoom

kamnitnoom Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes! I understand

kamnitnoom, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  6. webguy444

webguy444 Banned

Best Answers:
    I submitted an entirely appropriate site, with copyright that was well written, it didn't have any flaws, and they didn't submit, sometimes i wonder who's running the place...submitted again, necessary evil.

webguy444, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  7. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    It's run by AOL.

However, volunteers manage the day to day editing activities, as much or as little as we feel like, because after all, it's simply a hobby. But our goal is to build a directory, not to review site suggestions, so there is no way of knowing when or if an editor will feel like working in the category where you suggested your site.
    If it is a worthwhile site with good content, it might be found by an editor through some other means, and be listed just as if you had never suggested it. By suggesting it, you simply made it easier to find, that's all. :)

There is absolutely no need to repeat the suggestion, as it simply overwrites the previous one and does nothing at all to hasten review. In fact, if an editor chooses to review suggestions in date order, your later suggestion will now be further down the list.

makrhod, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All you can do is just submit and forget.

About your rant, its normal that some editors have vested interest in certain categories and senior editors can't do anything about it even if they know it exists. Sad but true.

popotalk, Jan 2, 2009 IP
  9. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course many editors have a "vested interest" in the category they edit. It is the most common reason for joining, after all. But provided the volunteer treats all sites equally and does not step outside the guidelines for Conflict of Interest, there is nothing which needs to be done about that. :)
    To quote from those guidelines (with my emphasis):

makrhod, Jan 2, 2009 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Forget about the parroting of editors about the rules of DMOZ and handling of "conflict of interest", there is 1001 exception to everything in guideline to insure those who they want to get in, get in and those who shouldn't, stay out. :rolleyes:

If you want to know how to get your site listed quite fast, you can read this thread. :)

How to get in DMOZ fast.

gworld, Jan 2, 2009 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can paint a termite infested house as many times as you can but when facts are presented you resort to BS. :rolleyes:

popotalk, Jan 2, 2009 IP
  12. donnyg16

donnyg16 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would not even waste my time with this directory because it is too much of a hustle. By the time that it takes that you get listed in this directory, it won't even matter because your site would already being getting a lot of traffic from other sources.

donnyg16, Jan 2, 2009 IP
  13. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Your a funny guy. When I become editor my 2373+ page multilanguage multitopic website had already 9 listings now only 4 remain, while I was editor I listed virtually all of my supposed competitors and got accused of Conflict of Interest! :confused:

All categories were obscure hobbies which nobody touched ever since unless it was for removal of my websites to kiss *** of some meta.

So from thinking gworld was a quack and following DMOZ party line now I like to come to this forum every few months just to make few post about how DMOZ really treats its editors and piss off meta lurkers and there henchmen who like to give me red reps! :p

P.S.
    And no I will never stop! See you again in March or April. :cool:

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 4, 2009 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Looking forward to 3 months of peace:D

snooks, Jan 4, 2009 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Glad that I helped you to open your eyes and see the DMOZ for the Mafia that it really is. ;):D

gworld, Jan 4, 2009 IP
  16. webguy444

webguy444 Banned

Best Answers:
    Gee, all I know is that the website I submitted to the Dmoz directory, (which I do actually appreciate for their hard efforts, being that as it may) they didn't list me, nor did they list friends of mine with legit sites, that tells me that something is wrong there. That being the case, and the websites being in different cat's I can't imagine how many other stories would fill books from there. Considering the no-shows that i've encountered, I would say they could use some tighter reg's for the their editors. They used to say that it's not a good idea for the "fox to run the chicken coop"

webguy444, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  17. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    So what conclusions can be drawn from that?
    1. The sites were not suitable for listing. Possible.
    2. No editor has reviewed your suggestions yet. Extremely likely.
    3. Volunteers are evil. What, all of us?? Ridiculously unlikely.

It's bewildering why so many people go straight for option 3 when options 1 and 2 are infinitely more likely.
    Option 1 is in the hands of the webmaster.
    Option 2 is in the hands of volunteers who build the directory for a hobby.

Do you abuse other people for spending their hobby time in ways that don't benefit you? No, I didn't think so. ;)

makrhod, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  18. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    According to "The Twelve Rules of Flaming", the correct procedure is to call the other person "Hitler".

I guess that's next. :D

makrhod, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  19. esem

esem Member

Best Answers:
    I submit my photoshop site like once a year... :(

Someday -cry-

.....Anybody on this forum run any of the graphic related dmoz areas? ;)

esem, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

That prediction has been made for the last 3-5 years ;)

Qryztufre, Jan 6, 2009 IP