1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Homepage Only Index Conundrum

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by JonahViaKeyboard, Jul 19, 2005.

I'm checking out this site: www.paulayoung.com and have absolutely NO IDEA why the site isn't completely indexed by Yahoo. Hundreds of pages are indexed in Google but only the homepage in Yahoo - which means it's not banned. The site is really old and has hundreds of inbound links, so it's not like it needs more time.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is there something obvious I'm missing? Any help would be very appreciated.

JonahViaKeyboard, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  2. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I have one site that has 4500+ pages indexed in Google, but only the homepage in Yahoo.
    Sometimes, with newer sites, it seems to take an age before Yahoo gets of it's arse and shows the pages in its index.
    At the moment, it's almost tempting to ban slurp from the site - all it's doing is wasting bandwidth. But then again Yahoo might produce something useful oneday - like an adsense alternative - I won't hold my breath but it might happen.

jlawrence, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  3. JonahViaKeyboard

JonahViaKeyboard Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks jlawrence, can you give me any details about your site so we can see if our sites are similar? How old is it? Backlinks? Or could you just tell me the URL? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post. Thanks!

JonahViaKeyboard, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  4. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  5. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to make your code more bot friendly if not W3C compliant/valid.

For starters, your page code does not have a DOCTYPE or ENCODING. If the bot reaches your site and encounters problems, it may fail to index it or move from there.

Also, I'm not sure Yahoo! gets around java very well - having it as low in your code as possible might help too.

wrmineo, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  6. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    You could have a point there.
    For some reason my pages are no longer validating - they should be and I'm sure they used to.
    /me needs to remember to get that sorted. I consider valid markup to be the first thing you need to get right on a site.

jlawrence, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  7. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    yfs1, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  8. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the adsense search available on that site and it was the code for that that was causing validation errors. For some reason that were quite a few of </input> tags. Anyway, the site validates again now, so I'll see if Yahoo gets of it's arse and adds the site to it's index.
    At the moment, MSN is actually providing more traffic than G with Yahoo refering once this month. My site is about 2 months old.
    Backlinks:
    G 256
    Y 1810
    M 3113
    Pages indexed:
    G 4500
    Y 1
    M 2081

The traffic from Yahoo would be quite useful as the site is still sandboxed in G.

9. JonahViaKeyboard

JonahViaKeyboard Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is this site isn't new: Yahoo is reporting 7,000+ links to this domain!

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=li...b=Search&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-pull-web-t&fl=0&x=wrt

The entire site is in the /catalog/ directory, but I'm pretty sure the robots.txt file looks good:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /catalog/assets/
    Disallow: /catalog/track/
    Disallow: /catalog/scripts/
    Disallow: /catalog/site_graphics/
    Disallow: /affiliates/manager/
    Disallow: /secure_affiliates/manager/

Any other ideas? This is unrelated to the current Yahoo update, as this has been going on for months. Thanks again.

JonahViaKeyboard, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  10. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
  11. JonahViaKeyboard

JonahViaKeyboard Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks jlawrence. I know Y!'s most recent cache of the homepage includes those links at the bottom which point to static, simple pages outside of /catalog/ that should get indexed no problem - but those are relatively new. The real question is what's up with the rest of the site's 100s of pages.

I'll see what I can get going on validation. Still, this is about the most inexplicable thing I've ever seen.

JonahViaKeyboard, Jul 20, 2005 IP