1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Have Only One or Two Pages Indexed?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Ian, Jun 19, 2005.

So did I. This was a complete pain and something that had started to get me completely frustrated. Two days ago I found out completely by accident how to correct this problem.

Links. Yahoo apparently posts in their index whatever pages of your site that actually have a physical link to it, regardless of how many times it's been spidered. They apparently keep the pages in their index until they find another site that is linking to that page. Why the one to just my index page didn't work and wasn't enough is beyond reason, since MSN and Google had no trouble spidering it and posting my pages. Does this have something to with the fact it's a new site? Who knows. I had noticed the listings change as I had been working on my backlinks, but it wasn't until today that I put 2-and-2 together. Now they have my index page and the other pages I linked to in their index as well.

Two days ago I posted a couple of links from one of my other sites to a couple of other pages to the new site, and a couple of days later they "magically" appeared in Yahoo's index after that site had been crawled. That was when I finally realized what the issue is.

I'll know in a couple of days if this method works well enough to get the rest of my links live, but in the meantime I wanted to share this with others who have obviously been dealing with the same thing I've been dealing with.

Ian

Ian, Jun 19, 2005 IP
    mcfox likes this.
  2. cooper99

cooper99 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have only a few pages in Yahoo as well. Is this the similar to the blog/ping tactic floating around?

cooper99, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  3. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, I didn't use the blog/ping tactic. You simply need to create relevent links back to each of the pages on your site to make them actually appear in Google. Apparently linking back to just the index isn't enough, you apparently need to have relevent links to other pages as well to get them to appear.

Unless this is just the case with new sites. I have another site where this wasn't an issue, so it's all still very strange. All I can tell you is what I did to get them to finally show up.

Ian

Ian, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  4. Affiliate-Geek

Affiliate-Geek Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is for new sites only. I found that all my new sites go through the same issue. But after a few months that other pages start poping up in yahoo's search. But if you want the pages to start ranking well you will have to gain relevant links to those pages.

Affiliate-Geek, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  5. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience, Yahoo is big on these issues, and in this order:

Title (About 60 characters do just fine - don't get greedy/spammy)
    Description (Clear, Concise and Relevant)
    URL/File Structure (This is a plus if you can work in a keyword/phrase)
    Content (Page content must compliment other factors)
    Links (not just IBL, but good internal linking / sitemap)

The other tactics are a plus, but in order to get good SERP and not just indexed, these have always worked for me; happy to provide some examples/proof upon request (don't want to seem arrogant).

wrmineo, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  6. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    On the above post I meant Yahoo, not Google. God I'm an idiot, can't believe I did that. Looks like you can tell where my head is at these days. Looks like SEO can actually make you lose your mind :)

Ian

Ian, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  7. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    i only had a few pages in yahoo not long ago (2 months) and still only have around 60 odd but it dosnt mean i dont get some decent traffic for my site - its around 40% of search engine traffic.

just-4-teens, Jun 23, 2005 IP
  8. coolguy

coolguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what is taking so long for yahoo to index my site. Only main page has been
    indexed so far in 1 1/2 month. Is this timeframe normal ?

coolguy, Jun 25, 2005 IP
  9. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:

yes pretty much

just-4-teens, Jun 25, 2005 IP
  10. Canadianbacon

Canadianbacon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    it would be interesting to see what "type" of sites this happens to. I.e, forums. blogs, html pages etc.

Canadianbacon, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  11. nonijuicer

nonijuicer Peon

Best Answers:
    I've only got one page indexed for an 8 week old retail site. Google has own 10 pages and MSN had 10, but for some reason it dropped to 6. I wish Yahoo would index more than my homepage. All of my IBL's are to the homepage except for a few dirs such as MSN SBD that allow several links in the listing. I'm going to be having some of my sitewide links point to more than just the homepage soon so hopefully that will help.

Tony

nonijuicer, Jul 3, 2005 IP
  12. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I have exactly the same problem with Yahoo.
    A new subdomain - 6 weeks old (ish) - 800 pages in G, 500 in MSN, not even a single 1 in Yahoo. Of course it's still sandboxed with G, so some help from Y would be appreciated - I'm sure they'll get around to indexing it at some point. There's about 1000 IBL's pointing into the subdomain at the moment, to about 100 different URLs. But still Y hasn't visited :(

jlawrence, Jul 3, 2005 IP
  13. andy_boyd

andy_boyd Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a 3 and a half month old site that still has onyl got one page listed in Yahoo - the index. However, I like to keep an eye on my logs to see what's happening and to my surprise I have seen Slurp take every page on my site several times in the last couple of months.

Even so, I still have only my index page listed. Recently I have started to get traffic in from Yahoo for fairly competitive 3-word phrases found on my homepage.

Does anyone use their paid search indexing, and if so, does it speed things up?

andy_boyd, Jul 3, 2005 IP
  14. PinoyIto

PinoyIto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have the same problem also with my other site... it's almost a year now and get 40 index pages only while msn and google index 5000 pages already... I keep monitoring my site visitor and see yahoo slurp come everyday to my site but still not improvement.

Does anyone can share their secrets, how their site index fast by yahoo.

PinoyIto, Jul 3, 2005 IP
  15. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    One site I have is exactly the opposite, 1500 Y, 1400 M, 1000 G.
    I'm almost convinced that Y has somekind of sandbox for new sites. But instead of giving low SERPs, it simply doesn't show some sites in the index.

jlawrence, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  16. DirectoryForce

DirectoryForce Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well whatever this 1 page index thing is..its pissing me off....

DirectoryForce, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  17. PinoyIto

PinoyIto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    finally applying the blog technique... my site get index fast in just 48 hours and one take a week before I see updates... I guess the blog technique really works.. as long as you update frequently your blog...

PinoyIto, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  18. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The key is doing what I pointed out at the beginning of this thread. You need to take another one of your established sites (providing you have one) and set up relevent links and point them to individual pages to get them to appear in Yahoo's index (search results, not the directory). I don't know why they seem to make you do this with new sites (which mine is) but every time I add a link from my established site to those pages on my new site, they magically appear within a day or so and I've also been ranking fairly well for my keywords.

Ian

Ian, Jul 7, 2005 IP
  19. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    wow i now have 7 indexed pages in yahoo.

we'll see what happens.

web-rover, Jul 8, 2005 IP