1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google to Sell Cheap PCs

Discussion in 'Google' started by a389951l, Jan 3, 2006.

1. antonaf

antonaf Banned

Best Answers:

I believe it! I think Google will be distributing their own PC without Microsoft software and it will be on the shelves in Wal-Mart stores. I have heard this through many reliable sources. I just don't know what OS they are using or how user-friendly it will be. Nor do I think it will be in market January 2006, but I'm sure its coming. I read the David Krane post on WMW, but we'll see.

antonaf, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  2. slava75

slava75 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google rejected this info.

slava75, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  3. comp71

comp71 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am kind of wary buying a cheap pc from Google for two reasons. 1. I think there reach into your privacy is even deeper than MS. 2. How cheap can their pc's be. Dell sells a great pc for less than $300.

comp71, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  4. antonaf

antonaf Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't know how far-fetched this story is about Google will have a cheap PC on market by this month, but I do believe Google is planning a OS, I have always believed this. This is the only thing that is standing in the way of Google from being ahead of Microsoft. I really can't imagine Google making a better or more user-friendly OS than Microsoft, because they are so deep rooted with open-source, but I can see Google going for the push.

antonaf, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  5. peeg

peeg Peon

Best Answers:
    I would buy it and sell it on eBay lol I bet i cud get double the price I paid for it!!

peeg, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  6. Rage

Rage Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google first take over the Search!

Google then take overs that online marketing by the mean of Adsens,
    Adword!

Now.... as in every online field google is found some how.....

& Now.....

As they are lounching Operating Systems( which mey become a bad news for microsoft)

Dont you think that One day... Google will be the Worlds Biggest Computer Monster ?

Mean no Mac, No Microsoft just Google in Pc to Net....

any comments ?

Rage, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  7. TMan

TMan Peon

Best Answers:
    Apart from the numerous threads on this topic and your bad english - I don't think so. As soon as google will become that big (I know, it already is pretty big), people will start looking for the underdog again, just as happened with google a couple of years ago.

Never can be sure though.

TMan, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  8. Rage

Rage Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sorry for my english.... but i think u understand what i m trying to say :)

Rage, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  9. antonaf

antonaf Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think Google will be a major success in the computer industry. They specialize in advertising/marketing/search, that is their specialty and should be their really only focus. I think their computer venture would just be another "me-too" attempt for Google. Trust me, it is really hard to compete with Microsoft. Especially, in a broad market of user-freindly OS, it's hard to believe Google can do much better, because if that was the case I'm sure someone would have blown Microsoft out of the water long ago.

This may put a dent in Microsoft market share, but they will still have the lion's share. Microsoft right now has 95% of the market share...if Google deploys this then Microsoft will have 94% (and a half)!

antonaf, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  10. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Problem I see with a Google PC/OS is:

How powerful will the hardware be? Will it be able to run 3ds max for $200? I don't think so.

What applications will it support? Will it have a managed code API and drag and drop Visual programming for it like Visual Studio?

SEO Jeff, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  11. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know if I agree 100%. Many people(like me) are sick of Microsoft's dominance in the OS market. Linux and Unix have never been serious competitors, because they have never been easy for the average person to learn.

But if Google comes out with a low cost, entry level pc with an OS that is easy to use like windows and more stable, they would put Microsoft in a bad position.

An example of this would be Firefox vs IE. I hardly ever use IE anymore, and If Google can create a Low Cost OS that is user friendly, I'm saying goodbye to Microsoft.

tesla, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  12. dpak

dpak Peon

Best Answers:
    PC performance is really the last thing Google needs to worry about. 95% of home PC users do three things...

1. Surf the internet
    2. Read their email
    3. Use a word processor

Google could provide this with a $200 box easily. The other thing is spyware and viruses... with a toaster-type device, people wouldn't be able to install or run the crap they do today, so spyware/viruses would be next to non-existent. There is definitely a market for something like this and I think Google is the type of company which will jump on it. It wouldn't be for the demanding users, but for most home users, it would do just fine.

This article also provides an interesting thought on the issue:
    http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20051124.html

Google's so-called PC might actually be a VOIP/Internet TV type device which will allow Google to enter (with style) the telecom and TV (or video) markets.

Either way, I think Google is about the only company out there with enough money and marketing power to give Microsoft some competition. If they can break Microsoft's monopoly grip on the PC world, they would be doing a favor to everyone (including themselves).

dpak, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  13. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-predict1jan01,0,3503327.story
    L.A. Times Reporting Walmart will start selling "Google Cubes with Google OS"

walmart will start selling computers with a Google OS - I am guessing something like OSX

Shoemoney, Jan 7, 2006 IP
  14. janjalani

janjalani Active Member

Best Answers:
    janjalani, Jan 7, 2006 IP
  15. astalavistabd

astalavistabd Peon

Best Answers:
    All scam huh? lol . For some reason media like to talk about google as Mr. Gates mentioned in Florida. :)

astalavistabd, Jan 7, 2006 IP
  16. jrd1mra

jrd1mra Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you hear about Google cornering the market on low-cost PCs? It was a big story, broke by the tech-savvy folks over at the LATimes . According to the story, Google was about to introduce ultra low-cost PC's and sell them through Walmart. In the 24-hour period it took for Google's PR-chief David Krane to respond, speculation led to introduction of the long anticipated (but never confirmed) Goog/OS operating system.
    -web pro world, thurs jan 5 2005

Its a rumor, google will not be doing this
    --yet

jrd1mra, Jan 7, 2006 IP