1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google to Sell Cheap PCs

Discussion in 'Google' started by a389951l, Jan 3, 2006.

It looks like Google is expanding once again. I never thought they would push into hardware.

Article found here.

a389951l, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  2. Johnburk

Johnburk Peon

Best Answers:
    I wast just going to post that ;)

Intressting article.

Johnburk, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  3. Nasruddin

Nasruddin Peon

Best Answers:
    yea i know that its old news guyz its been months

Nasruddin, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    With their search device, they've been in hardware for years. It's probably a clever way to increase their processing power, expand their distributed network of CPU's. They could use the PC's idle time to calculate queries or perform other data processing tasks.

T0PS3O, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  5. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Most people will buy it just because it's from google, just to play with it and see how it is. I would be one of them, lol :)

honey, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  6. letas

letas Peon

Best Answers:
    "Just five years ago, Microsoft Corp. was considered the Big Bad Wolf of the media business".
    Now we have another "Big Bad Wolf".

This is getting into an "Big Bad World". :D
    Hum. It already is... ;)

letas, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  7. westhaven

westhaven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think, it will take lot of time to come in india.

westhaven, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  8. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    This is interesting, because when you are looking at low-end PCs the license for windows is a not insignificant percentage of the total price.

Problem with Google doing this is it can potentially let Microsoft off the hook for anti-trust actions, and they can go back to just promoting themselves.

aeiouy, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  9. JCDev

JCDev Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't believe this... And if they do it, they'll sell it with a Windows license.

JCDev, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  10. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:

Couple of hundred dollars is not cheap. :| Well unless its a P4 2.0+ghz heh

Seiya, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  11. froinlaven

froinlaven Peon

Best Answers:
    That whole Google using idle cycles on a user's pc sounds kinda fishy to me. Unless it was stated in the terms when you buy the computer. Otherwise, it seems like Google would be better off writing spyware. Or maybe they already have... Google toolbar anyone?

froinlaven, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  12. Netizen

Netizen Peon

Best Answers:
    Netizen, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  13. eWESTPost

eWESTPost Peon

Best Answers:
    Have to wait until Jan 6, 4 P.M, to see what plans Larry has! :)

eWESTPost, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  14. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Building cheap PC hardware is probably Google's way of planning to overthrow Microsoft. Everyone knows Billy and the boys cut contracts with PC companies to only run windows OS and if Google produces their own OS they won't be able to get these companies to switch.

The logical thing to do in a situation like this would be to build cheap PCs and sell them with a Google OS that can be downloaded via the net. This would allow Google to establish itself as both a PC and OS manufacturer simultaneously. It would also seriously threaten Microsoft.

tesla, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  15. williamjack

williamjack Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yeah!google is expanding its arms in harware also.

williamjack, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  16. tork

tork Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought this was the most interesting part of the article-
    Microsoft comes out swinging

When Microsoft lost its yearlong battle to replace Google as the provider of advertisements on Time Warner Inc.'s AOL Search last month, one analyst described the defeat as "the death knell" for MSN, Microsoft's Internet service.

Within days, speculation was rampant that Microsoft, determined to keep itself in the game, had offered to buy Yahoo Inc. for $80 billion. If rumors were to be believed, the Microsoft bid — a premium of more than 30% over the Web giant's current market value — was rejected by Yahoo as too low.

Will Microsoft spend $90 billion or more to buy Yahoo or, alternatively, AOL parent Time Warner? Maybe not, especially when the software giant could buy Barry Diller's IAC/InterActiveCorp at a fraction of the price. If owned by Microsoft, Diller's collection of websites such as Ask Jeeves, Expedia, HSN.com, LendingTree and Ticketmaster could help drive traffic to MSN.

tork, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  17. spondishy

spondishy Peon

Best Answers:
    This made the nationals in the UK today. It's stated that Google will roll out the PC's at £110 (about $190) through Asda (a supermarket chain in the UK owned by Walmart.

spondishy, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  18. antonaf

antonaf Banned

Best Answers:
    Google is not getting into hardware. They are using Wyse Technology to supply their hardware needs. They also will NOT use Microsoft software for their OS. It hasn't been evident if Google has their own OS, but more than likely they do, it may be a derivative of Unix/Linux open-source code or it may be a new structure. I know Google has been buddying up with Sun lately so it might be some wildfire. It will all be interesting to see. I will buy a Google computer just to see how it works. If this entry-level PC takes off, you can best believe Google will slowly push its way into the enterprise computer market.

Microsoft best bet is to come strong with Windows Vista (this year) and don't give Google much room to breath.

antonaf, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  19. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    Who makes up this crap :) And why would anyone with an ounce of business sense beleive it?

David Krane (the director of corporate communications for Google) said in his blog "we have a number of PC partners who serve their markets exceedingly well and we see no need to enter this market; we would rather partner with great companies". I guess myths are more fun than reality for some people....:D

Michael, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  20. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure google would love to retread the same path that the Lindows computers did with Walmart..

jeeplaw, Jan 4, 2006 IP