1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplicate Content Penalty - A myth or a reality

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Tripta_Kneoteric, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Tripta_Kneoteric

Tripta_Kneoteric Banned

Best Answers:
    I am overwhelmed with the responses and a healthy discussion. I was discussing the same with my colleague and he took the onus to write an article about it. He just posted excerpt of his article on our corporate blog and wanted it to share it with you all. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Tripta_Kneoteric, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  2. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The duplicate content is for the benefit of the user as in shopping carts and the print version of an article.

The supplemental index still exists. Google has stopped labeling "Supplemental Results". But as always supplemental results only show when there are few results from the main index.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2007/07/supplemental-goes-mainstream.html

bogart, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  3. Tripta_Kneoteric

Tripta_Kneoteric Banned

Best Answers:
    Tripta_Kneoteric, Aug 30, 2008 IP
    bogart likes this.
  4. goscript

goscript Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Dupe content does exist and does get penalized. I've did endless experiments to test it. Even if during the first 2-3 months the sites don't show any penalization signs, in some of my tests, some sites got removed completely from search engines listings , some started to receive less to no traffic.

Just imagine you are having the same content, hundreds others is having. Why would your site be ranked #1 for searching a term from your articles?

If you are using blogs, you may want to give a look on Uniquefier which may solve this dupe content issue.

goscript, Aug 31, 2008 IP
  5. viviennef

viviennef Peon

Best Answers:
    You can never completely remove duplicate content though and often its needed, you just have to use it where it will benefit your reader I think instead of wanting it to get rank. I have some duplicate content apges from wikipedia and they index fine

viviennef, Aug 31, 2008 IP
  6. 2-4-K

2-4-K Peon

Best Answers:
    Duplicate content just gets put in the Google supplemental index.. so no traffic from SERPS..

but other than that no big issue.

2-4-K, Aug 31, 2008 IP
  7. mjereb2

mjereb2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Those who believe duplicate content gets penalized... are the ones who will never earn enough to make a living.

mjereb2, Aug 31, 2008 IP
  8. mirisaamali

mirisaamali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what makes you say that :)

mirisaamali, Aug 31, 2008 IP