1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Penalzation Round 2

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dave E, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Certainly a possibility.. Though those doing this hurt themselves and others just as much if not more than those they are ratting on ...

I would have to say that 99% of it, almost certainly was 100% aglorithmic...

Mia, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  2. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have to say I do not agree that.
    If 100% is aglorithmic than we should have 1000 x more directories penalized.

I see first to penalize were those strongest and most promoted directories.
    There are thousands of much worse directories, making much more bad for serps than those penalized.
    For me this definetely shows it is all manual. And it's all surely not about health of Google search results as those penalized dir owners took care about links quality probably much more than any other directories.
    And additionally if aglorithmic - 2nd round would never happened.

All of this shows wthat the word of Internet is.
    Just a business - but probably much more unethical than any other.
    Much more corruption than anywhere else.

dargre, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  3. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google usually tries its changes on smaller data sets. If all goes well they increase the level.

CanadianEh, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  4. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't even know what the usual pros are saying if its algorithmic or not. But I prefer if they will look at it more closely a PR3 site was also been hit. I just don't know when.
    So all these speculations about algorithm and such I just don't find it exact. It's handpicked.

No sitewide. No High PR links. Just being promoted in DP heavily before.

popotalk, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  5. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, we know that.
    But should we believe only those strongest were penalized in 1st round beacuse of data centers?
    Personally I doubt it. They were surely easiest to find - but not by data centers.

What's interesting - have a site not selling or buying links.
    Not a link farm. Not a directory. 99% of natural links. No hidden techniques. Good html.
    Useful and uniqe web site - you won't find similar.

Now also penalised on brand name in same as directories time. So I ask myself why?
    Have only 2 answers:
    1. There was 2 outgoing links of total 3 - to well known penalized directories.
    2. Site was reported as buying links (though in fact never bought)

Which one is closer to true?

dargre, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  6. CanadianEh

Best Answers:
    No I wasn't thinking data centers.

The first time they would run it with the filter just turned on a bit. If the results are ok and they don't get too much fallout (e.g.unexpected results or bad publicity) then they can turn the filter on a bit stronger and run it again. Just my opinion because I am not an expert in this area.

7. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Found more directory both Free and Paid penalized but won't give their names. Just owner mostly active in Solicitation and Announcements of DP submitting.
    PR3 and below.

popotalk, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  8. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    Still hard to believe only those strongest were filtered out on first run.

dargre, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  9. CanadianEh

Best Answers:
    Take a look at my list of penalized directories you may see the possibility.

Aviva, Alive, bigweblinks along with a bunch of PR6s were in the first round.

10. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ was, and I say WAS hit by this as well, but according to MattCutts it seems it was nothing but a bad 301 redirect.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=487451 (page three)

Sounds fishy to me...fishy to the point of pondering if threats were made to have someone sleep with the fishes if the ODP was not removed from Exile.

A bit strange that the "biggest" link farm that comes complete with hundreds of identical clones was spared, but so many of you guys were hit.

Qryztufre, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's nothing new Chris, there is a preference that comes with THE HOLDINGS.
    AOL > DMOZ > Google Directory.
    It's politics and the money shared.

popotalk, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I said 99%... I am sure that 1% or less includes people that rat... The 99% however, most certainly is the algo..

Why don't you see more directories? Because you assume that I am contended that the algo is targeting directories... I don't believe that is the case. I think the aglo sees something common, a flaw if you will in only certain directories... I doubt very much it is the fault of the directory/owners themselves. It is likely the directory software that they are using.

Someone posted a list of all the directories that are penalized and those that are not.. The ones that are all share one thing in common.. It's pretty obvious btw..
    That is simply not true... There are larger, more popular directories that have been around even longer that are just as heavily promoted that are not being penalized.
    Do you honestly think that google wastes time manually penalizing directories? You really think out of everything that google does they have the time and resources to sit around and single our directories? If you do, I have some swamp land I would like to sell you.

It's all Algo... What 2nd round? Did it ever occur to you that there are no "rounds", and that the algo is just slowly catching up? There is a common trait in each directory that has been penalized that the algo obviously does not like... Hell, I doubt the algo even knows or cares that these are directories.

No one is manually modifying the index. That's just silly.

What?

People get a grip here...

Mia, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    And the irony here showing the usual flaw in Googles algo is that the first result (as usual) for that kw search is a 404 error page. Figures..

In any event, while not heavily promoted and only PR3, Gimik is powered by what?

Again, there is one common trait in every directory being hit, and it is not backlink saturation, PR, or promotion....

There is something that algo does not like about the software, NOT the directory... ;)

Mia, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  14. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Is it ?

Or is it someone whos "playing hacking or proxy games" whom hates the directory community?

http://www.seofaststart.com/blog/google-proxy-hacking

We are researching this now to see if its foul play...

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  15. CanadianEh

Best Answers:
    Thanks malcom for some interesting info. I did a very quick check and found some evidence on some sites but it wasn't at all consistent (found it on 2 of 7 sites I looked at). Let us know if you find something.

CanadianEh, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  16. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.biz-dir.co.uk/blog/googles-2nd-round-of-web-directory-penalizations/

LOL

Did u check your Webmaster Guidelines?

On the page called 'Overview', you'll find
    Home page crawl:
    Googlebot last successfully accessed your home page on XXX XX, 2007.
    Index status:
    Pages from your site are included in Google's index. See Index stats. [?]

I think this is the part to look for

Pages from your site are included in Google's index.

Just my opinion though, I guess the source would have more authentic information then me.

adnan, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  17. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    He wants his old SERPs, not index...

mikey1090, Oct 1, 2007 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Well, my suggestion? Fix whatever is wrong with the directory software in use, that google's algo does not like, and the SERPs will return... ;)

Mia, Oct 1, 2007 IP
  19. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:

Just to share a point here that relates to the debate of Algorithmic Vs. Hand Picked.

My Best Internet Resource which is under scanner ( I don't believe in penalty being applied) received over hundred visitors/hits from Google in a space of few mins just few hrs before the bad thing happened:(. I still can prove it with my Google Analytics data. The terms for which those visitors came got me almost get mad -- because I was ranking inside top 25 on my DC for all of them.:eek:

All visitors had same charateristics --Google--spent time on site- 00.00.00 hrs.

I believe directory owners who also use Analytics- and have their directories made as Gunie Pigs ( Yes I believe --for obvious reasons--Google is testing their Paid Links Algo with directories because most of them has site-wides. Some do not have site-wides but that is also part of the testing:D)

Another important thing to note here is -- my Awastats shows I received 113 visitors from Google on 28th --1 on 29th --and again 102 on 30th. Most of these visitors are coming while I am away or not on the net ( maybe US time--they work when I sleep). No Google visitors till today.

Also - I see Google bot visiting everyday on the site.

All these points towards algorithmic testing - not otherwise.

Maybe other directory owners can check what I am saying and share their data.

jhnrang, Oct 1, 2007 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    It is most certainly the algo.. It is also something in the algo that does not like, perhaps the directory structure, some html/php page or something within certain directories. Since the majority if not all of the directories affected share one common trait, my guess is, it is likely something the algo does not like about the structure of the directory software in use on these directories.. ;)

Mia, Oct 1, 2007 IP