1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Massive List of Keywords Hurts Quality Score?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by swoop, May 19, 2006.

Someone (Perry Marshall, I believe) suggests running Adwords campaigns with hundreds or thousands of keywords. The idea is that if you sell widgets, and one of your keywords is "tiny green purple left-handed widgets," then if someone, sometime ever happens to search for "tiny green purple left-handed widgets" then your ad will pop up and you will have paid only a penny or two for the click.

Is this a good strategy? Does Google mind if you have enormous lists of keywords, each of which will only trigger once in a blue moon? Or, will they start requiring a minimum bid of $1 or $5 or $10 for Search?

swoop, May 19, 2006 IP
  2. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is the best strategy: add massive keywords to your campaigns, spend hours and more hours on keyword tool: just thinking this is a relevant keyword, this is a not relevant or this is a NEGATIVE keyword!

Remember that Quality Score is at keywords Level: Think that each keywords has its own quality score and this quality score has no influence in another keyword quality score.

Ad has no quality score
    Ad group has no quality score
    Campaign has no quality score

Imagine each keywords as a separate cell with its own quality score so if you add another keywords will not be a problem to the keywords that is already there.

When they ask you to bid $1, $5 or $10 probably the ad or the landing page is not relevant (interesting) for who searches that keyword - this has nothing to do with the others keywords in the list.

remember also to add negative keywords to the campaign they help to improve the CTR% of the keywords already existent there: normally my campaigns has 200~600 negatives keywords

Micromag, May 19, 2006 IP
  3. BrianCarter

BrianCarter Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me agree with what micromag said with just one addition:

I've seen both display URLs and destination URLs have a major impact on CPC (and by implication on quality score)- so putting keywords in the correct adgroups is as always a major concern.

BrianCarter, May 20, 2006 IP
  4. leony

leony Peon

Best Answers:
    For example, in a campaign how can I know that which keywords or phrases that the users entered, triggered my ad text. (Maybe that keyword or phrase have nothing to do with my campaign). If there is a way to know, maybe I can add negative keywords so that the next time that keyword is entered, my ad will not appear.

And I think it helps the quality score to improve.

leony, May 20, 2006 IP
  5. whitespider

whitespider Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you absolutely sure about this? I am not saying you are wrong, and I dont know otherwise for sure, but I have read many threads etc where they say that CTR is either Adgroup or Campaign dependent. Indeed one of the oldest (and to my knowledge succesful) strategies has always been to delete any keywords with a CTR below 1.2% to get both Adgroup and Campaign CTR up thuse getting higher ad placements at lower cost.

Can you show where you get this information as being definitive?

Thanks

whitespider, May 21, 2006 IP
  6. Arcos

Arcos Peon

Best Answers:
    Isnt having "Widget" as a Broad Search sufficient to cover all searches for Widget no matter what colour?

Arcos, May 21, 2006 IP
  7. googlin

googlin Guest

Best Answers:
    Quality scores are based on the keywords in whatever ad group they are in, due to the efficiency/quality of the ad text. So the quality score has a lot to do with ad grouping and ad text and whether people are clicking on the ads.

googlin, May 21, 2006 IP
  8. docluv

docluv Guest

Best Answers:
    From my experience Broad keywords are bad. Narrow the audience, the better conversions. It takes more work, but pays so much better.

docluv, May 23, 2006 IP
  9. dougadam

dougadam Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree docluv, also landing pages are important.

dougadam, May 24, 2006 IP
  10. Arcos

Arcos Peon

Best Answers:
    Is that right?

Deleting poor performing keywords improves more successful keywords and reduces costs??

Arcos, May 30, 2006 IP
  11. Micromag

Best Answers:
    No, do the inverse: add more and more keywords: massive keyword brings you more traffic - so you have more control over your bids reducing your costs.

Micromag, May 30, 2006 IP
  12. swoop

swoop Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe you are correct, defining "poor performing" as "low CTR." Google wants people to see only relevant ads, so an irelevant ad (one that has poor CTR) will be penalized after a few days by requiring $1, $5 or more bid for the Search network.

swoop, May 31, 2006 IP
  13. Micromag

Best Answers:
    this is wrong. There is no quality score or any kind of relevant data penalized assigned to an ad.

quality score is assigned to keyword level

ad CTR is only for compaction with another ads - such data is not relevant for adgroup performance.

Don't worry with keeping low CTR keywords as it will not affect other keyword in your adgroup, campaign or account.

Micromag, May 31, 2006 IP
    whitespider likes this.
  14. whitespider

whitespider Peon

Best Answers:
    This is really great info' - I have learnt a lot and it just goes to show how much duff inof the (so called) "gurus" spout as it was one of their ebooks that said to delete low CTR keywords.

Special thanks to Micromag (well worth the green spot) - this is what this forum SHOULD be about, i.e. good info not just slagging off others websites :)

whitespider, May 31, 2006 IP
  15. Arcos

Arcos Peon

Best Answers:
    I too believe this is wrong!

From what I have seen with my adwords campaigns an individual keyword may have an increased bid if there are low ctr's but never impacted by other keywords that have low or zero ctr.

Arcos, May 31, 2006 IP
  16. swoop

swoop Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oops! My original statement didn't accurately reflect what I meant to say. The corrected statement is, "Google wants people to see only relevant ads, so an irelevant KEYWORD (one that has poor CTR) will be penalized after a few days"

Thanks to Micromag and Arcos for the correction!

swoop, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  17. RaZoRLeGaCy

RaZoRLeGaCy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok

My campaigns have been made "inactive". I have increased the ctr so know I want to know how long does it take to get a quality score recheck after the ctr has been made better.

I am paying the higher prices right now and I want to know how long would it take get my prices back down.

I redid my campaigns and I am paying between 20-30 cents. I just did this June 1st. My CTR's are now at 5% - 11% and the ads are cicked between 2% - 3.5%.

Please any advice is helpful.

RaZoRLeGaCy, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  18. Micromag

Best Answers:
    maybe if you create you own thread and stop spamming the forum with the same matter.

Micromag, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  19. RaZoRLeGaCy

RaZoRLeGaCy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sorry but no one is responding to my posts.

you just saw the post and gave no advice as well. no blaming here but i do need some help with the problem that i am requesting help for.

Wont happen again.

Anyone have any advice?

RaZoRLeGaCy, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    People may have read your posts and not replied because they genuinely don't know. On the other hand time is precious and they may not have been interested enough to answer. No one is under any obligation to provide answers or opinions. Hijacking threads just pisses people off.

sarahk, Jun 3, 2006 IP