1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do $X,xxx Adsense Earners Get Complacent?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Burta, Apr 10, 2006.

In a poll I recently ran on adsense publisher's earnings for the month of March 2006:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=71946

I noticed that there seemed to be a trend that might be explained by the theory that once an adsense publisher knows HOW to develop and make a site that earns good Adsense dollars they can quite easily make the leap from being a "sub $300" a month earner to a "over $1000" a month earner. What I then found interesting was that the number of people then earning above $10,000 dropped off again - this is to be expect but it made me ask the question why?

Is it because to get to $10,000 a month takes time and not enough publishers have had enough time to get there? Or is it because once publisher make $1000+ they become content with their earnings? Or is it because running too many sites extends the publisher's available time such that they can't really develop more sites - merely only maintain the ones they have?

What is stoping people from going on to $10,000+ a month earners?

Burta, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  2. azn_romeo_4u

azn_romeo_4u Peon

Best Answers:
    resources
    time
    motivation
    energy
    life
    girlfriend
    other problems

azn_romeo_4u, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  3. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Another thing to take into account is that you're restricting yourself to Adsense earnings. Adsense is a good source of revenue for me and others, but it's not the only one. It accounts for about 20% of all my total earnings, so when you wonder why the number of people who make $10k/month drops off, you're not taking into account that they make up for that drop-off with other sources of avenue, such as traditional banner advertising, affiliate programs, and other means.

Keep this in mind: Adsense has potential to make you a lot of money, but other sources of revenue can easily overtake it. ;)

jackburton2006, Apr 10, 2006 IP
    eXe likes this.
  4. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    Working on the net isn't very fulfulling imo...it'd be much more fun to have a partner to do with it with, but that means less profit.

Dekker, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  5. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh I didn't mean to make it sounds like Adsense was the only means of revenue - whilst it is the predominent one for me it is far from the only one. I was just interested in the reasons why people might be restricted in their earnings in the low $x,xxx's range.

I'm mainly inquiring because I have a goal set presently to by hte end of June be earning $2,000 a month from adsense and I guess in a way I'm preparing for the hurdles that I'm yet to face, by understand why people can't seem to get past a certain point. So hopefully in me finding out what hold those current making $x,xxx back I'd hopefully be able to workout ways to avoid such pitfalls or at least help reduce them so that my earnings can continue (hopefully) well on into the $xx,xxx range. It must come across arrogant but I don't really see a lot stopping me at this point - I have tasted the success - and I know at the bottom line its about the "hard work" but I think I really can achieve my goals when I set them and I have achieved 5/6 so far and I'm not planning on failing in the near future either.

Burta, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  6. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not "restricted", it's "smart". ;) Putting all your eggs in one basket, or predominantly in one basket, is asking for trouble. What happens if Google tanks your SERPs tomorrow, or Adsense bans you? Then you're left scrambling for a new source of revenue. You would be wise not to rely too much on Adsense and instead try to find additional sources of revenue and diversify.

jackburton2006, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  7. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    jackburton pretty much hit it on the head.
    Most higher earners with adsense have good traffic websites and find outher ways to monetise the traffic through offering their own products & services.

Remember what adsense is though, people paying per click to take your visitors and ultimately sell them a product that is related to your genre and make someone else a profit, it therefore begs the question that if you already have the traffic people are willing to pay for can you not make the sale yourself and earn more?

sji2671, Apr 10, 2006 IP
    dct and TheHoff like this.
  8. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well any site would be up the creek without a paddle if this happened regardless of their income sources. I guess at the end of the day I haven't really ventured too far off Adsense because it has been producing so well for me - though of late I have been selling links and running affilaite programs and to my delightful surprise they have been pulling in about 40 - 50% of my adsense earnings, and they haven't effected my Adsense earnings either - so I don't really look at operating other money earning methods as reducing Adsense earnings... I don't think it has to be one or the other... but then again it sounds like what will work for one won't work for another.

Burta, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  9. Troutnut

Troutnut Peon

Best Answers:
    I really doubt people get complacent in the $x,xxx/month range. That's right in the range that would motivate somebody to work hardest, because it's clear they can make a lot of money, but depending on where they live it may not quite be a livable income yet. If their total online earnings are $1000-$4000/month, anyway, I really doubt they'd be slacking, since they're on the verge of being able to quit their day job.

Troutnut, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  10. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey don't get me wrong I'm not saying anyone is getting complacent I'm just asking what is the theory behind the figures in thread that is referred to in the first post. A similar poll was done over a Adsense Chat:

http://www.adsensechat.com/showthread.php?t=84

In this poll interestingly it shows exactly what people might thing - once you get to the $2500 - $5000 mark you are extra motivated to push one because you are so close to making a "living" from your earnings.

Burta, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  11. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe because of diminishing returns. I think it is harder to go from $10,000 to $20,000 than from $0 to $10,000.

I don't make that amount of money so i can't prove my theory.

High earners can really comment if it is true or my theory is false.

infonote, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  12. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Quoted for truthiness.

TheHoff, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  13. TCR

TCR Peon

Best Answers:
    hahahahahahaha

TCR, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  14. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would have imagined that it was the complete opposite, and I personally have found my recent earnings from 500+ much easier to gain than my first 500. Once you have the assets its easier to build more thus the sayings "the rich get richer" or "the first million is always the hardest". So I don't see diminishing returns factoring - though I can definitely see their time to build more "assets" diminishing.

Burta, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  15. projectw3

projectw3 Banned

Best Answers:
    My first $1/day is toughest and took me a long time to figure some things out...It gets easier, but still require lots of work...

projectw3, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  16. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess they also try out other things aswell as it is best to not totally rely on just Adsense revenue.

john269, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  17. coathanger007

coathanger007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are only so many high earning keyword adverts that google can display per page. Once that's done it's time to focus on other advertisers....law of diminishing returns ;)

coathanger007, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  18. BrianCarter

BrianCarter Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been as high as $21,389 in one month, but currently only $1,000. Why? The aforementioned rankings tanking. Multiple egg baskets are good.

Revenue is a function of traffic, valuable keywords, ad placement optimization. So building traffic and having multiple sites seems the way to go to me.

BrianCarter, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  19. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How I see it is the basket is your site and the eggs are the revenue sources.

Now there is more change that the eggs are likely to break than the basket so you really need more revenue sources than sites.

But it is always best to get a few baskets as one of them may break eventually. So make sure you have a few top quality sites and many sources of revenue.

john269, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  20. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Almost everyone after starting to make any significant amounts with adsense will try to diversify it with affiliate programs, you can't rely fully on adsense.

DomainMagnate, Apr 14, 2006 IP