1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ - A four letter word for arrogance?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by CoffeeJunky, Feb 20, 2006.

Let me preface by saying i LOVE the idea of DMOZ. Now let me say how much i HATE DMOZ. I've only been trying for over a year to get one of my sites listed. It's just a free e-card site. Hundreds of cards, good "content"...but for a year now they have ignored my requests which I send in about every 4-5 months (after they keep ignorming me).

Unless someone tells me otherwise I am convincing myself of 3 things:

1) DMOZ = nobody home
    2) DMOZ = editors are afraid to put anything in that might compete with their sites
    3) DMOZ = Growing more pointless every day.

I'm sorry this forumn has become all about dmoz bashing but if the shoe fits. I mean, come on...it's not like I see them adding thousands of sites a day...take 5 minutes and visit a few of the damn submissions you get a day or a week. If you cant "volunteer" a few minutes, give up your post to someone who wants to help. And since when did DMOZ become an old boys club. I've been turned down twice to become an editor. All I want to do is help out...good grief.

I bet there is an army of people that WANT to help them...but through their own ignorance or shame they dont allow people in.

CoffeeJunky, Feb 20, 2006 IP
    amanoffewwords and EveryQuery like this.
  2. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Resuggesting every 4-5 months = spamming the directory and is probably what is causing a delay in review. Even if you haven't been tagged as a spammer the likely hood of an editor getting to the review of the site after having deleted a bunch of spam suggestions first is slim.

I always am sad to see this type of post. What possibly could lead anyone to believe that 200 editors who work in a given category could all have a competing e-card business that they want to keep another free e-card site out of the directory? More than likely either the hundereds of e-cards are not unique and therefore add nothing to the category or the editors are avoiding another spam suggestion of the same url.

I can tell you that I have been editing for 2 hours now and have reviewed about 2 dozen suggested urls. Not one has been listable yet. I volunteer a great amount of time, probably 3-5 hours per day/night so I am sorry it is still not enough for you. Just because we are not reviewing and adding the sites YOU are interested in doesn't mean there are sites being added that WE are interested in daily. I was turned down 4 times before becoming an editor, so being rejected a couple of times isn't an exscuse it is a cop-out for not wanting to try harder. You don't want to help, you want to list your own site and move on, which is understandable but not usually going to get past the Meta's reviewing applications. Anyone who truly wants to help out, will eventually get the application process figured out and be accepted. Sometimes getting rejected is part of the process, unless you are told specifically that there is nothing there for you to reapply to you can always keep trying.

Just my two-pennies

shadow575, Feb 20, 2006 IP
    vulcano likes this.
  3. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is this your own content or can it be found on numberless other sites?

Not easy to understand, why you want your site listed there, though.;)

Which category did you apply for becoming an editor?

I do not think that it is you, deciding that the shoe fits or not. Next, I happen to know, that there are also young girls and old ladies. Where did you get the information from that DMOZ is an old boys club?:D

vulcano, Feb 20, 2006 IP
    shadow575 likes this.
  4. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    duh? no wonder not listed!!! You brought all this on yourself.

Birdie, Feb 20, 2006 IP
    shadow575 likes this.
  5. CoffeeJunky

CoffeeJunky Guest

Best Answers:
    How you guys consider re-submission of a link every 4-5 months is spam, i'll never know. Now if I did it every week...month...day? Then I can understand. If you think that's spam...then what is considered NON spam? You guys seem to be the expert here...what's considered non-intrusive? 6 months? A year? More?

As for the comments that "You don't want to help, you want to list your own site and move on"...or that I somehow "brought this on myself"? Dont try and pretend to know what's in my head. Besides, that first comment is completely un-true.

As I said, I like the idea of dmoz, and I actually volunteered to be an editor in a category that has NOTHING to do with any of my sites because I happen to know something about that particular subject and..as I said earlier..."i want to help".

I'll try not to take the decline of my editor request so harsh now. I understand the need to try to run a tight ship, but at the same time...if your having to do that much work as a volunteer, I would just think they would want to help spread the love around so your not having to be so busy.

Thanks for your time and effort as an editor, truly.

CoffeeJunky, Feb 22, 2006 IP
  6. CoffeeJunky

CoffeeJunky Guest

Best Answers:
    Shadow..i just had a thought. Do you guys/gals, as editors...do a reply email to the submission person telling them they were rejected? Perhaps that's the way around all this missunderstanding.

If there was a message upon submission that said "you will be contacted if you are included, or declined".....that way I can do one submission...and atleast i'll KNOW that someone had atleast looked at the request.

If you guys reject it out of merit, i'm cool with that. I guess a more formal "your in, your not" process would help.

Just a suggestion.

7. CoffeeJunky

CoffeeJunky Guest

Best Answers:
    Is the moon full or something tonight? I just checked and...well, <cough>...mhy uh e-card site is now in fact showing in dmoz. It finally got added...over a year later.

I SOOOO have mud on my face right now.

Do any, all, current, and future people who read this thread...."i'm sorry"....and "i admit i'm an idiot".

I finally got in dmoz....1 year later. What did some of those other posts say? "Patience is a virtue".....

I'll go shut up now.

8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Nice idea, CoffeeJunky, but the idea of more openness in communication, even if only through automated form letters, has been suggested to DMOZ many times before, and rejected each time.

DMOZ is like the Vatican or the Kremlin: "New ideas not welcome" is engraved in the arch over the main entrance.

Now, read on for the usual flow of DMOZ canned posts from editors telling you why your suggestion can never be implemented.

minstrel, Feb 22, 2006 IP
    amanoffewwords likes this.
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Why the apology? How does getting your site accepted negate any of the criticisms you made about the process?

The process (and some of the policy) is the issue - not whether or not your site is listed.

minstrel, Feb 22, 2006 IP
  10. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's a little like...

dup... delete [4-5 months later]

... nearly two years later accepted.

inbetween all your dups is everyone elses dups so everytime I get close to "accepting" you waste more time [and everyone else that believes the same thing] and then all complain why it takes so long... go figure.

fathom, Feb 22, 2006 IP
    shadow575 likes this.
  11. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    No we don't, but contrary to the belief of some there are very good reasons why we won't ever do that. They can be found in the FAQ over at Resource Zone but for reference:

The first part of this related to spam has already been addressed. I will only add that spam by general definition is any unwanted electronic transmission (ie junk mail) as that relates to dmoz it would be any unwanted suggestions. This would include multiple resuggestions of the same or related urls which is prohibited by the Suggestion Instructions.

You are absolutely correct, I don't know what is going on in your head so by saying "You don't want to help, you just want to list your own site and move on....." was my interpretation (quite possibly correct or equally possible to be incorrect) of the situation. Kind of like:

Only with out accusing anyone of being ignorant or ashamed. ;)

Good help is always needed, but accepting just any old application without regard to how it is put together isn't going to help anyone. Allowing poor applications to be accepted may actually add to the problem by accepting poor or self-interested new editors make a mess of things taking an "army" of experienced editors to go in and take the time to fix the problems. I will say it again, if you really do want to help out you will eventually be accepted. Fill out an application and go from there, if you get rejected 2, 3..10 times but really want to help keep trying and pay attention to details especially those given in the rejection letter and/or the review comments if any on it.

Glad your site was accepted, now the real work can begin-Continuing to build a unique and useful site for your customers thus warranting the inclusion and maintaining its listability and if you still want to help visit Resource-zone and spend a few minutes looking over some of the forums and FAQ's there and go back and re-apply, you might be surprised what a little research, detail and persistance results in:)

Regards,
    shadow

shadow575, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    ^^^ Don't say I didn't warn you :rolleyes:

To fathom and shadow: What are you contributing to the resolution of the problem of DMOZ endorsing and promoting child molesting?

minstrel, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  13. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    honestly... nothing. why?

fathom, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is just strange to be so high on morals and criticize others for spamming while in the mean time helping pedophiles to molest children through your volunteer work with DMOZ. :rolleyes:

Don't you think child molestation is more serious problem than spamming?

gworld, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  15. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...lol

I notice that "dmoz supports pedophiles" has become the canned response from DPers to virtually every discussion regarding dmoz. Try staying on topic folks. Although the pedophile categories are definitely an important topic, it has nothing to do with this thread. At least the so called "canned responses" from dmoz editors in this thread were relevant.

sidjf, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  16. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As you know very well, the spam accusation is just bunch of crap that is constantly repeated by DMOZ editors and it has got nothing to do with reality. If spam was really a problem, to implement procedures that stops it is very easy but then how can editors justify their own multiple deep links. ;)
    The inability to stop spams is the result of editors desire to continue with corruption.

We are still waiting for an answer by DMOZ editors, have admins found any excuse for why they are helping pedophiles or would they like to continue with their silence and hope that it will go away? :rolleyes:

gworld, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  17. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude, that's just plain bullshit. There's no way around it.

If you submit they same URL more than once and the content of the site has not changed, then you are just wasting your time and editors time. fathom explained it perfectly. Every duplicate submission is one more submission that time has to be wasted on. It may not sound like much, but when you add up the time spent on tens of thousands of them, it comes out to a lot.

The bottom line is that submitting the site more than once will not speed up the time it takes to list the site. So why do it?

One double submission will not really have an effect either way on anything, but tens of thousands of them from multiple webmasters has the effect of slowing down the time it takes to list a site - for everyone.

This has nothing to do with corruption or "multiple deeplinks" of editors. Nothing at all. That's just the typical canned response of DPers. ;)

Again, canned response. What the hell does that have to do with this thread?? :confused:

Is it possible that the truth of the matter is that your arguements alone cannot stand up, so you have to resort to unrelated accusations (whether they are true or not)? Surely not my friend... :D

sidjf, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Since DMOZ editors are so famous for "honesty", we believe you. :rolleyes:

Is there any cheap directory script in the market that can not handle multiple submission of same domain? There are very simple procedures that stop all these problems and make DMOZ respectable again but the problem is that DMOZ is more interested in fighting those who want to stop corruption than solving the problems or stopping the corruption. ;)

gworld, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  19. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    How would stopping webmasters from submitting multiple times stop any form of corruption?

You're making no sense at all mate.

sidjf, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Because it requires 1 submission / domain. Accountability about submissions and the way it is handled which is in direct conflict with some of the editors "volunteer" :rolleyes: work.

gworld, Feb 23, 2006 IP