1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

becoming a DMOZ editor

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by nlopes, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cedik

Cedik Peon

Best Answers:
    I got accepted in about 3 weeks! I was very glad but I do not have so much work to do :))
    I only have one section, but it's the one I wanted!

Cedik, Jan 6, 2008 IP
    shadow575 likes this.
  2. websys

websys Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just added 2-3 more of mine , while at it ;) one of them i had supplied in my application ... just noticed it never got in there :rolleyes:

websys, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I hope you have been off mining and not just looked at the greens (submitted sites). Also if you have now got the hang of it why not ask for a bigger cat?

Anonymously, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  4. Cedik

Cedik Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I submitted for the editor post because I knew all the sites that were fit to go in that category (it was a regional section and I knew all the important sites from my country that were about that topic). About asking for other categories... maybe :p
    I did not apply for an editor position to become an editor,but because I wanted to be an editor for that section in particularly and I thought that I was able to help promoting the phenomenon. :)

Cedik, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  5. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Many rditors do exactly that and want tolook after their town or village, fantastic, it gets looked after well. Trouble is for some of us we sort of get so that we to do a bit more and a bit more ......and before long the editor dash has many more categories than what one envisaged when starting. 9 years ago I just wanted to look after a small section in which I had a special interest, now the whole flippin directory appears on my dash!:rolleyes:

Enjoy your editing.:)

Anonymously, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  6. ryno33

ryno33 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is a DMOZ editor a paid position?

I just checked out the site for the first time today and was thinking about applying, but only if it is a paid position.

ryno33, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, but the payment is your gratification of helping the internet community as a whole. Though, no, there is no cash involved.

Qryztufre, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  8. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    There is a lot of payment, we get incredible flack for all the things we don't do with our spare time. Cynical, but true.

Fortunately it is extremely rewarding in seeing categories come together, creating new categories and moving the brain cells around to wonder where to put that particular site. Don't join if you don't want to risk getting hooked.

Anonymously, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  9. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    And if you are grudge-bearer since you will become obsessed with revenge when they remove you for the reason only they know. :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  10. gary1974

gary1974 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I applied once before and have been rejected. Will it hurt to apply again ?

gary1974, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    shadow575 likes this.
  11. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    That depends on why you were turned down. Do take care in your application - I mean: find three sites for the category you are applying for that actually do fit there. Create really fitting descriptions. Don't start too big: apply for a small category at first. You can always move up the chain if you prove you can handle it.

kh7, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  12. gary1974

gary1974 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You were right, I was careless in my application as I thought suggesting good sites was enough to do that. I did not state clearly all my affiliations. Speaking of which, should I include the sites that I worked for in SEO ? That would be a fair amount of sites and some of which I couldn't even recall anymore ?

Also I was thinking of applying here http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/Asia/Philippines/Provinces/Batangas/. Is this a category small enough to start ?

gary1974, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Technically yes, all must be listed... though there is not enough room on the application (if I recall correctly). Put the main site you were with, and then any sites related to the category.

Then again, heh, I brought up another editor that is a professional link builder, and many of the editors that posted in that thread seemed to think differently *shrug*

Regardless though, the key is to be open & honest on the application and then on the affiliates thingie you'll fill out once accepted (it is working by now I hope).

Being an SEO should not stop you from being accepted, they say that it's fine & dandy right in the guidelines...
    Q

Qryztufre, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  14. budalata

budalata Peon

Best Answers:
    Its harmless :)

It will be better to include all the sites you have relations with. And to clarify what kind of relation. This also doesnt hurt. And pointing them is not reason for rejection.

Seems to me that this cat is fine for beginning.

Wish you luck, and allow mysesf to give you only one advice: when applying, use same name as in previous application, and point that your previous application was denied because of:
    Regards

budalata, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    Alucard and shadow575 like this.
  15. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To respond to some of Q's comments:
    Actually, all must be listed.
    You don't. It's a text box that scrolls if it needs to. I've seen folks declare hundreds of domains in it.
    Wrong. Following Q's advice would be to risk having your application declined on integrity grounds - which makes any subsequent attempts less likely to succeed (He lied last time. What's he lying about now?).

jimnoble, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Follow Jim's advice... seems my sources are invalid *mutters*

(Source it was implied within that thread that the editor did not need to list all of his SEO clients, so I am sorry for misleading here)

Qryztufre, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  17. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    That category is certainly small enough as it has only 13 sites mentioned right now. It would be a good place to start. Fill that and show that you understand the differences between the subcategories, know how to find sites for the category yourself, can write decent descriptions - and it's a very good ticket to getting more editing privileges.

Do list all the affiliated sites you can think of, but if you can't remember them - don't worry about the ODP finding out that you are affiliated. They really can't expect you to remember all. I'm just being realistic here: there is always a difference between the letter of the law and actual practice. Do as best you can to get close to abiding by the letter, but don't feel too bad about forgetting one. You can always go back and add it later.

Do list the main sites you're involved with and certainly any sites you intend on listing in that category you want to edit. And make sure that you don't only add sites you're affiliated with. I'd not put more than one site I'm affiliated with in the original application - make the other two ones that just deserve to be listed.

Personally - whenever I add a site I'm affiliated with to a category, I make sure I also clean up the unreviews or at least add a few of the waiting sites there as well (depending on the amount of sites waiting in unreviewed). It would be plain unfair to only list sites of acquaintances, just cause I can.

kh7, Jan 31, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  18. tahtimbo

tahtimbo Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been thinking of becoming an editor, but can anyone tell me what the benefits to becoming one are?

tahtimbo, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    The joy of collecting and listing sites that interest you within the worlds largest human edited directory? The wonderful sense of community where you will be surrounded by friendly and helpful editors? Or like many, to get your site finally listed within a system that often takes years for it to even get looked at.

Qryztufre, Apr 11, 2008 IP
  20. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Only the fun of doing it, and the satisfaction of doing a good job, nothing else, not even a thank you. :) The reward is that it's fun, interesting, and you get a lot of self satisfaction taking a category with only 4 sites in it, and finding a hundred more.

crowbar, Apr 11, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.