1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ as an SEO/Linkbuilding tool, as claimed by an editor!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Qryztufre, Oct 15, 2007.

Here is an interesting tidbit about an editor that has been with DMOZ for the last 10 years. He has been building links for hundreds of sites for the last 15 years.

I must say though, as long as DMOZ claims on the outside that it is a free and human edited project, any links within it will be viewed as white hat and good ~ even when placed there by black hat means.

And to think, some editors get fired for favoritism...

Qryztufre, Oct 15, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  2. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There isn't a "black-hat" statement in there. Everyone knows there are SEOs and webmasters within the directory... the policy on it has been the same since the directory's inception, I'm sure you've seen it. It wasn't an accident they put the "become an editor" button beside the site submission link, and plenty of us got our start because of that placement.

His statements just point out that the many me-too directories are becoming web history, and dmoz will too if it doesn't change to remain relevant. Not black-hat... not even dmoz-centric. Pretty even handed assessment, and many within the directory have stated a similar view. Our model is dated and needs a rework.

Not sure why you've taken innocuous statements discussing the evolution of the web and tried to make it dirty. Heck, if you're feelin' so bad you're shooting at shadows go find a happy thought somewhere out in the sunshine. :)

robjones, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My main point was that he is a professional link builder, and a DMOZ Editor. Yes, they do seem to go in hand, but what number of his clients are now listed? Of his hundreds of clients, how many are listed as affiliates?

In that blog by the guy that was fired in that shoemoney thing they called him out on being a "friend of a friend", that's a stretch from a client.

Editors have been seemingly let go for favoring sites shown here at Digital Point. Finding sites on a forum are a far cry from a clients sites.

Within the ODP there are whitehat ways to get a listing, and there are blackhat ways. Being a professional link builder in most cases should fall in the latter, even if the sites listed are worthy...especially if people are being fired for less.

Qryztufre, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  4. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, people are getting removed for listing websites belonging to their friends and websites they find on the forums for FREE but it is ok to charge money through SEO business and list websites and that it is not conspired bribe and corruption in eyes of metas??? :rolleyes:

So to all DMOZ editors don't list to many websites because you might get removed for causing lot of damage to SEO business. :p

Ivan Bajlo, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  5. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, it's all Greek to me, I don't understand any of it and could care less. :)

My eyes are on the Directory itself and what we're doing in it, building useful categories with the web surfer in mind.

I'm sure all this heady stuff about the worth of directories and how downstream entities either use it or don't use it is all very interesting and earth shaking to somebody, but, what does it have to do with what editors are doing?

Hey, we build it, if somebody finds it useful, great, if they don't, well heck don't use it then. I'm sure not begging anybody to, I'm just having fun doing it, :D.

crowbar, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  6. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL Gee, you guys have a LOT more faith in a dmoz link than I do. It might add a little link juice, but you really think Danny Sullivan called anyone an "authority on linking" on the basis of being able to add sites to dmoz?

Psst: Besides being silly, it'd be a several thousand way tie. :)

Next time if y'all wanna different set of rules, join a different directory or start your own.

7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I do not understand?

Are you saying that its well within the guidelines of the ODP to list client sites and to be paid as an SEO, while it's against the rules to find sites externally and list them?

If that is what you are saying then, heh, maybe I will reapply to be an editor, then head over to scriptlance and get $50 an edit :rolleyes:

8. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Rather than holding your hand and explaining slowly I'll simply say you were there for, wow, almost 2.5 months... if you didn't read the guidelines, you might as well do it now if you're going to play expert.

Btw - As for re-applying, I figure Gboisseau got back in because of a respected editing history. As for you... I still haven't figured out how someone with 10 unique adds got so attached to this subject to start with.

9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    So it's true then, it's in the guidelines that the ODP is not open at all, in fact, it's just another PAID directory!

You see, in those 2.5 months I kind of got attached to a wonderful person. Perhaps you know her? CompostAnnie...ya know, that editor that was fired for favoritism. Maybe if she was paid, she's still be an editor. I quit because of the injustices to her, and stick around because it can and will happen to others.

Though, from here on out, I'll not say that editors are VOLUNTEERS, that by definition means they do not get paid to list sites.

And to sum up. It's OK to get paid to list sites, but it's not OK to list sites one finds here on Digital Point, or to ever both listing the site that just happens to belong to a friend of a friend...and gods forbid if that friend of a friend just happens to be a member on digital point!

Today, I lost a little more respect for what is supposed to be an OPEN directory...not that my respect means all that much. But now that the truth is out there, maybe more people will follow suit!

EDIT:
    Also, I likely would have had more edits had it not been for the fact the only help files that were recovered at the time was a category that was mostly filled with 404ed links. I did post about it internally in the newbie thread... Also, if you look close, many new editors are not given the time of day on the internal forums either. Not with all the long timers comparing edit sizes all the time.

Annie was one of the few that was nice to me from the beginning, and with her help, I did manage to figure a few things out. Though I can say that I have read the guidelines, and can not honestly say that I recall any place that said getting paid was OK. Though, I guess as long as one is doing it for SEO reasons, then all is well, but gods forbid anyone offer to pay? Sounds a bit one sided, or rather two sided.

10. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, sorry you thought SEOs weren't allowed in. Had no idea you either have a reading disability or didn't bother view the guidelines before joining.

Somebody's likely to tire of you waving her name like it's Kryptonite or something. Try standing on your own merits. Rather than play a jekyl/hyde role in a forum about a directory you know little about, why not go play outside or something?

11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I knew that SEO's were allowed in. What I didn't know was that paid links were allowed. There is most certainly a difference.

I actually was not going to bring her up, but you kind of said you didn't know why I left, so I kind of told you.

Though, again I ask, if she was getting paid, would she still be an editor? SEO's are allowed in after all, and her getting paid for listing sites is something that never happened.

12. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Never asked why you left, only why someone with only 10 unique adds (and 7 of 'em were in your bookmarks) devotes their days talking about it after leaving. Quite an attachment for someone that didnt read the rules or can't interpret 'em.

You're obsessing about something about which you know zip. Invoking others records doesn't make you more impressive.

13. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    That FACT was concluded and confirmed by DMOZ editor fathom few weeks back here no need to constantly repeat it. ;)

Ivan Bajlo, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  14. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    Odd though, I have been an odp editor for a few years and have never incountered such claims or known any editor to accept money for listing a site. :rolleyes:

jjwill, Oct 16, 2007 IP
    robjones likes this.
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I played around in my bookmarks because I wanted my first few edits to be out of the way as I learned the ropes a bit. As you know, there were no help files online when I was accepted as an editor. Though I guess that does not matter, it's only size that matters :rolleyes:

And you are correct, I seemingly can not interpret the rules to include PAID LISTINGS not when sites get banned for bribes. Though, by your interpretation of the rules, there is no bribe when done through a listing service...such as scriptlance maybe?

I guess you are right. You quoting my edits wasn't all that impressive....though, can I ask where it states publicly my edit counts?

However, calling upon examples is often a very effective way of making a point. And in the case of Annie getting canned for showing Favoritism, that does prove this point very effectively.

You can not list sites freely. Only paid listings ensure a safe Editor account!

As that is your interpretation of the rules is it not?

16. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. Quit trying to post MY interpretation of the guidelines... just read 'em. :rolleyes:

And, no, your edit numbers aren't published, so I'll remind you:
    • You had 27 total edits (and that counts changing the Mozzie & splashing around in bookmarks).
    • 9 of your 27 edits were to either occultcorpus.com or qrytztufre.com .
    • You had a whopping 10 unique adds... again mostly to your bookmarks.
    • One of the few adds to the actual directory was your own site.
    Yet you start threads to criticize other's work as self-serving? Get real.

17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Now listing one's own site IS within the scope of the guidelines. Paid listings however are not.

Though now I must ask for another interpretation of the rules. Is discussing my records publicly against the confidentiality guidelines?

18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How many time people have to confirm this for you? Read the "guideline". It is not very often that I agree with rob, but may be you should listen to his advice and learn about DMOZ before posting about it. Why do you think that I criticize the so called "guideline" for being full of loopholes that is used to punish the honest and reward the not so honest? :)

gworld, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  19. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Q, once again you demonstrate that you want to twist what is said to your own ends, if you do re-apply and don't get accepted re=read these threads to find out why.

It proably is against confidentiality guidelines and you know where to complain if that's what you want to do. But take a leaf out of your mentor's book and stop bleating about how you left and worst of all re-telling someone elses story, with your own twists, who clearly does not want to try and use what happened to bash the directory, editors, ex-editors or indeed anyone.

Anonymously, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  20. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Gee, Q, do you mean will I get punished for pointing out that fully 1 of every 3 edits you did was to your own sites, and the bulk of the rest were such important tasks as adding bookmarks and changing a Mozzie image?

LOL... yeah, the fact that you're not exactly speaking from experience is a closely held ODP secret, I'll bet staff has my head for letting that cat outta the bag. :D