1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ - Amount of Time to get Listed?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Vibes63, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I have submitted my website about a month ago to DMOZ but I can't find it on their site. I was wondering if anyone knew approximately how long it takes for a site to get added the the directory?

Also, are there any other high ranking free directory that I could submit my site to?

Vibes63, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  2. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your better off finding other directories to list your site on. You may get old and grey before DMOZ gets back to you.

swedal, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  3. billybw

billybw Peon

Best Answers:
    My first site in 2005 took about 3 months to get listed. My second site last year took about 7 months. So yours will probably take a while longer yet. more than one month anyway.

billybw, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  4. primeelite

primeelite Peon

Best Answers:
    I saw on a website that the average for websites to get listed was 8.5 months with the shortest being 5 days and one website took 5 years to get listed. It is really almost overated because you can submit to a lot of quality directories that will add you within 30 days plus there is a lot of fraud and extortion going on at Dmoz where its a free directory but I know editors that you can contact and send them $100 via paypal and they will review you link that day

primeelite, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  5. Vibes63

Vibes63 Peon

Best Answers:
    No way. I guess there is always corruption regardless...Are there any directories that add relevantly faster with high pagerank?

http://www.doc1vitamins.com

Vibes63, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  6. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    PR around here is a dirty word :D

Most paid reviews get your site listed within hours just like the some frees
    but paid directories usaually offer more to the submitter in different ways.

DMOZ has its own section ...

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  7. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This question has been asked many of times. Personally it's more likely to never get listed than what it would get listed. If it does get listed then it's more likely to take several years than a few days.

john269, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  8. billybw

billybw Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the delays occur because they get thousands of submissions and don't have enough people to review them and also so because they are more careful about how they check the sites so it takes longer.

I also doubt that there is much corruption. I don't know any editors and both of my sites were accepted. But when people are rejected they get mad and try to blame it on corruption. I think that's what happens.

billybw, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  9. wayner

wayner Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it sometimes depends on the particular category, I once submitted a site to a very niche category with only about 5 links in it (and it wouldnt get many submissions either) and it was listed within 3 weeks. Some others I've submitted have never been listed.

wayner, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  10. gamma911

gamma911 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am an editor for Dmoz and it all depends on how busy we are and the type of sites.

gamma911, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  11. steff1

steff1 Guest

Best Answers:
    It depends on the category editor. Some do it in a few days, other takes months.

steff1, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  12. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    bobchrist, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  13. guruhowto

guruhowto Guest

Best Answers:
    Can you PM me for a name please so I can contact `em? hehehehe

guruhowto, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    sarahk, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  15. guruhowto

guruhowto Guest

Best Answers:
    Nahhh I dont think I will support them with their extortion acts.. I can pay them but I'd rather not there are many places to get listed and still have the same results..

guruhowto, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  16. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    The shoemoney extortion issue smells very fishy to me. If the allegations had an ounce of truth to them don't you think he would have shown proof or named the editor? Especially when another editor was removed from his account for checking into it for him?

I think he made this all up to get attention. And attention he got. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him since he didn't even speak up in defense of his ex-editor friend. Sure, by the time the editor became an ex-editor damage was done to his reputation, but by naming the editor who allegedly tried to extort money from him, shoemoney could have at least given his ex-editor "friend" his dignity back. The fact that he didn't speaks volumes IMO.

To get back on topic...
    Vibes63's, submissions are reviewed anywhere from a couple of minutes to a few years, depending on where the editors are working. Recent activity in any given category doesn't mean it is going to continue to be actively edited, many editors do some work in a category and then move on to another one. Submit to the most relevant category for your site for the best chance of getting a review.
    Vibes63

compostannie, Sep 19, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    FWIW I was referring to this.

And the best way to help get your site reviewed is to become an editor (in another category) and work to reduce the overall load!

sarahk, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  18. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Gotcha sarah. Yes, that would be the root of it all. :)

Why shoemoney doesn't get it is beyond me. Or maybe he does? He likely got a lot more traffic from his "story" than he would from an ODP listing. He became scum in my book when he left his ex-editor friend hanging by not providing a name. That's just wrong.

compostannie, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  19. billybw

billybw Peon

Best Answers:
    I gather from this thread that some people claim that DMOZ editors take secret bribes.

It's possible that happened once or twice. But I would bet that most stories of this type are created by people whose sites were rejected and who tried to get revenge by defaming DMOZ.

Instead of making up false stories, these people should spend their time working on their sites to try to create something of value for the rest of the world.

billybw, Sep 19, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You lose. I am an editor and I tell you that there are many questionable sites that belong to editors or are listed because editor got paid. If you are not editor, how do you know? Do you have access to edit logs? How many listings have you checked? is this your attempt to become an editor? If it is, is not a very good one since it is not the first time some one has tried this method. :rolleyes:

gworld, Sep 19, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.