1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

getting greens

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by catyack, May 11, 2007.

I just wanted to point out something that I do not think a lot of people realize.

When you give someone a green rep you need to put your username, otherwise that person doesn't know who gave them the rep.

I got a couple of green reps that I wanted to give green back to tell them I appreciated the green but I had no idea who gave them too me.

I always thought the forum tacked the username on with the rep, but it doesn't. So I always add ~catyack so the person knows where it is coming from, whether it is good bad or whatever.

here is the best thread about rep http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=173583

catyack, May 11, 2007 IP
  2. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Recieving greens are for good posts.. you don't need to reciprocate (that's not the point of green reps)

8everything, May 11, 2007 IP
  3. Computerized

Computerized Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Funny how you said exactly what 8 said...

Anyway, another thing people don't know is that you don't receive rep in the General Chat forum. I get too many grey reps this way.

Computerized, May 11, 2007 IP
  4. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    We must have similar minds :p

You can actually recieve green reps in the general forum IF the person sending you them has much much more green reps than you do.

5. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree- I never reciprocate when green is given. I give green always using my name - even if i give a red rep I give my name too. I think that given your name - you will get respect in the long run. Again reciprocate is not a good idea - it like kind of abusing the system.:p

FOX LORE, May 11, 2007 IP
  6. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess people do it to show appreciation.. but the worse would be to green rep someone, leave your name and then ask them to return the favor :p

7. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:

Gotta take one name off my green giving dp list. Lets see who else is on that list.:p

paidhosting, May 11, 2007 IP
    livingearth likes this.
  8. catyack

catyack Active Member

Best Answers:

ya, that is not what I am saying, if someone just did that because they wanted green back, than screw them thats not cool, but say your in a thread and someone gives you a green - don't you want to go check out what they had to say in that thread? I do, then if I like what they are saying I want to say thanks to them because they took the time to give me green for my views on something. If it makes me feel good, and they deserve to know it.

I don't reciprocate greens just because someone gave me one, but I want to know who they are and have the option to give them green.

lets face it green makes the world go around.

It's like when someone says thank you, or good job to you, a lot of times you might say, "no, thank you" or "me a good job, no, you did a good job"

catyack, May 11, 2007 IP
    livingearth likes this.
  9. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hey quit being an a-hole ;)

I always put my name on every rep I get, not looking for recip. just so people know why I repped them. I sometimes reciprocate green if it a mutually good posting going back and forth but I never reciprocate when it is asked for. I helped someone out a couple of days agao quickly and they sent me a rep and asked me to rep back. Why would I rep them for me helping them?

allout, May 11, 2007 IP
    Duality likes this.
  10. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:

Very true :) I think we have the right to make it annonymous (if we want to).

However, I always leave my name when I send out green reps :)

11. catyack

catyack Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly, 100% agree, you helped them they gave you a green for that.

I must have started this thread off worded poorly:eek: because I don't think it is just for recip - I just wanted to point this out because I gotta couple of greens without names, and I want to know why that person greened me, was it something I said, or didnt say, did I help them in some way.

catyack, May 11, 2007 IP
  12. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Your reasons are good :) as you want to improve your posts. But take it as it is! :cool:

13. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would go back to the original post where they apply the green- its mostly because they agree with your comments. Some probably are hoping to get green back but I wouldn"t worry about it.:cool: Just enjoy the green!:D

FOX LORE, May 11, 2007 IP
  14. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    On the discussion of Green, I am curious how often everybody checks their rep. Unless you look often, how do you even know?

I look a little while after I post something really helpful or when I think I did. LOL

allout, May 11, 2007 IP
  15. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Go to your USER CP and scroll down to the very bottom of the page. You'll see them there.

16. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I sometimes give out green anonymously because I don't expect rep in return - no-one should automatically expect rep in return because that's not the way the system is intended.

CountryBoy, May 11, 2007 IP
  17. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LMAO I wasn't asking where to check, I was asking how often you check. It does not just pop up like Itrade so you wouldn't know you have any until you went and looked.

I don't do it to get a recip. , I just like people to know who found their post useful and maybe if they know I think they are helpful, they will follow me around and help when I really need help . LOL

allout, May 11, 2007 IP
  18. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Click that little scales icon in the right corner of a post and a window will come up showing you how many rep points you have. It's a fast way of knowing how you're doing in the world of online rep.

chant, May 11, 2007 IP
  19. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    You dont need to green them back as it isnt a rule. When you feel the post is good or anything, you give author rep.

or when its bad, in that case too, but then its red.

inworx, May 11, 2007 IP
  20. Rohit patel

Rohit patel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well reps ar comming for only good posts not for exchange. Whenever you find good posts you just need to add reps.:)

Rohit patel, May 12, 2007 IP
    getjimmy likes this.