1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Doesn't Believe in Hiring Graduates

Discussion in 'Google' started by BradySEO, Feb 26, 2014.

?

Do You Believe Only Highly Educated People Should Get Top Jobs?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

94.1%
  3. I don't have an opinion

5.9%
    Just came across this article on what Google looks for in new hires: How to Get a Job at Google

I've long been an advocate for self-educated people and creatives...thoughts?

BradySEO, Feb 26, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  2. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with this, taken from the article - ”Too many colleges, he added, “don’t deliver on what they promise. You generate a ton of debt, you don’t learn the most useful things for your life. It’s [just] an extended adolescence.”

I have lived in college towns and have met tons of worthless rich kids who had years and years of schooling.

College is an industry they need to keep students in there to make money, they don't want to train people and send them out to the work force in 1-2 years it is much more profitable to keep them there for 4-6 years.
    I always see the college students in classes like pottery, golf, building 4ft structures with Popsicle sticks just a “extended adolescence”. If you pick up a class schedule and really look it over usually a huge percentage of it is worthless stuff. Good for culture, art, party conversations, but real world usefulness ? Not so much.

averyz, Feb 26, 2014 IP
    danasurvey and sarahk like this.
  3. tonyrocks

tonyrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is a different world today in technology. I have a few friends who work at Google Pittsburgh, but they do have college degrees. :) But still, my take on education is that it has turned into a huge business, with people expecting return on their investment rather than educating the students. I think article is a hint at things to come when Google gets weaved into our education system. Yes, I said WEHN...I don't think it is a matter of IF at this point. Nothing should surprise anybody :)

tonyrocks, Feb 26, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  4. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    averyz, Feb 26, 2014 IP
  5. BradySEO

BradySEO Member

Best Answers:
    I do agree most of the content students learn is useless. It's all just "filler" stuff. A lot of what you would need to learn, say, for a Psychology degree, you could do in a much less amount of time if there wasn't so many courses that have nothing to do with what you're trying to accomplish.

It's almost similar to high school, minus it being a business, like mandatory French. Think of how much time that wasted when I could have been learning something else. I've never needed French skills in my life whatsoever.

I think we're going to be seeing a huge shift in the requirements for getting top jobs in the next few years. I think people are starting to respect people who don't have reputable degrees.

BradySEO, Feb 26, 2014 IP
    makeit easy likes this.
  6. tonyrocks

tonyrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree BradySEO!

@averyz - big data is getting bigger and is and will be an integral part of society, whether we want it to be or not...primarily because computing power is a commodity and it is cheap and easy to monitor, categorize and flag petabytes of disparate data to customize our lives accordingly. These are things you learn when you work for IBM ;)

tonyrocks, Feb 26, 2014 IP
  7. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I lived in some apartments where Google put new hires that were either in training for a month, or were just getting started in Mountain View. I spoke to dozens, and every one of them had a Master's degree or better. I'm sure there are exceptions.

dvduval, Feb 26, 2014 IP
    danasurvey and tonyrocks like this.
  8. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have almost never needed French language that took my some years to learn. I forgot to speak it years ago. Because it was not needed, similar like evolution theory, when you don't use something in your body, it eventually disappears.

Tech related companies have started to hire those persons years ago. It's not new in tech/computer/IT industry. School education is losing its value in a few industries only and only in a few positions.

If you want to work as a doctor you will always need a degree and spend time in schooling. If you want to be a position in marketing/sales you don't really need a reputable degree, an undergraduate degree is enough for most of the small-medium sized businesses.

In general, I agree with your point. Students waste time with unnecessary learning subjects. Because they study to get a degree. They need a degree to find a job.
    On the other hand, there is one possibility: university education might not be designed to provide workforce. It might be designed to create more scientists, profs. Business world might be abusing the main aim of the school education/schools. What do you think?

makeit easy, Feb 26, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  9. SEOsince99

SEOsince99 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It really depends on the type of field, schooling for very specialized fields are required.

As far as business is concerned, I will overlook anyone with a 3rd rate business degree and especially MBA. First class MBA's are the exception but I hire based on performance and past history rather than someone that follows directions and doesn't think outside of the box.

SEOsince99, Feb 26, 2014 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  10. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to doubt it. As inequality has increased, the super wealthy surround themselves with the best and the brightest, and most of those people are recruited from elite schools. There is one common exception, and that is through acquisition. Often corporations buy smaller startups and automatically the founders get hired with a nice salary and bonus.

dvduval, Feb 26, 2014 IP
  11. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Full disclosure here: I'm age 70. Education in America was radically different 50 years ago. Every course I took over my four years at Boston College was taught by a highly-qualified professor. There were no grad students reading their professor's notes to the class. No "gut" courses. No grade inflation. It was the same working on the MBA after college. My fellow graduates went on to become doctors, professors, leaders in their communities and the business world. The reason: the education they had received was top-quality.

Today things are different on campus. Many classes are "taught" by graduate students, not professors. "Gut" courses abound. The party atmosphere is prevalent. A rigorous exposure to the core curriculum of classical education — English, math, science, languages, history, etc. — has largely disappeared from even the most "elite" colleges. The value of such degrees is highly questionable.

There are some exceptions, of course. My younger son recently got his MBA from Harvard Business School. The curriculum, the professors, the classroom atmosphere, and the culture of learning were spectacular — frankly, considerably better than my MBA studies almost 50 years ago. But his was an elite school and serves as an exception to the deplorable condition of U.S. higher education today.

Jim4767, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  12. makeit easy

Best Answers:
    One of my profs was a Boston College graduate. I was affected by his expertise on economics.

makeit easy, Feb 28, 2014 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  13. mahnazkut

mahnazkut Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Because Google as a search engine does not do things like formally graduate computer scientists like me would understand or analyze. As an engineer, we have studied countless hours of theories and systems that can be predictable and can be analyzed. To analyze a system, you give and input and observe the output many times. But Google search engine behaves "out of box" ; the same input would yield different output. It is obvious that they need un-formally educated people can think out of box or a bit insane. read my thread : "Google and my Girlfriend" https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/google-and-my-girlfriend.2709627/

mahnazkut, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  14. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    excellent - am a college dropout, good to hear Google taking a stand in hiring under-grads.

Education and Degree are both different things. Companies will hire people that generates results and not those who comes up with some degree.

cheers,
    Uttoran Sen,

uttoransen, Mar 1, 2014 IP
  15. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Always nice to hear how things work in different countries so you can make a comparison with yours.

Being from Eastern Europe, it surprised me that our evolution of education isn't much different from the one in prospering countries. Seems that filling 3-5 years of education with mindless, irrelevant and useless subjects is a worldwide tendency. Learning that fairly early I spend my college education turning my attention only to things that really interested me and those I wanted to do in the future. The rest I decided to barely pass, just to get my degree at the end.

Here's the difference tho. Getting a degree here still is crucial. The jobs with quality pay or training require you to do so. I am sure that they don't even look at the grades, they just need the sheet of paper that says you've graduated from "this-n-that" College. Here is the paradox tho. On top of requiring a degree, they also require experience. And being fresh out of college, you are LOOKING to get experience. In such cases you just have to settle for a very minimum paid job to gain some experience so you can at least APPLY for better jobs.

The only way to find a reasonable workplace without a degree is if you "know someone". That type of referral system wouldn't be bad if it hasn't mutated into recommending very low qualified people just because they're your son/brother/second cousin/girlfriend. Most often such referrals are dumb as a board and start from a supervisor/managerial position. Quality does not matter as long as you're doing a favor to a friend or relative. And as you can imagine that demotivates the ones that really worked hard to get there and that either lowers their level of work or simply makes them quit and go elsewhere (mainly leave Bulgaria and become millionaires in their scope of work in another country that values their talents).

Sad story indeed :)

Rado_ch, Mar 1, 2014 IP
    averyz and makeit easy like this.
  16. Wen Von

Wen Von Banned

Best Answers:
    My CEO was less educated than me in SEO field and still holds higher position in our organization.

Wen Von, Mar 1, 2014 IP
  17. makeit easy

Best Answers:
    There is a very similar bad business life here in TR. But it's not an unknown fact. Almost everything is worsening as you go east because of the development difference between the west and east. I agree. It's a really sad story if you live in those places. Because everybody in the World has 2 types of things;
    1- things we can change by working
    2- things we can not change (mostly the things that come with birth)

People in developed countries don't care much about your things that you can't change. They care about your proficiency for the open work position and sustainable benefits that you can generate for the company. They have transparent criteria in recruitment, fair working life, equal wage for the same work, and other "must-have" type things. They are rational, they live rational. Those are some of the reasons of why they are developed.

We don't choose our birth places. If asked I wouldn't want to be born here. But we can move to somewhere better if we don't like "here". We are humans, not a pine tree that can not move to anywhere. If the life is not fair due to the things that we can't change (born in an undeveloped country), we should move to elsewhere.

makeit easy, Mar 1, 2014 IP
  18. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hiring a potential employee in a nutshell can be a nightmare. I know a woman who's been in business for 30 years and she's absolutely awful at what she does. The only reason she stays in business is because her husband doesn't want her home all the time. He made his bank off farming in the early days so he fronts her business money to keep it floating.

Ah, true love.

Just because someone is a graduate, doesn't mean they're competent or good at something.

coreygeer, Mar 1, 2014 IP