1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What directory script is the best?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Snowblind1, Dec 5, 2006.

Hey guys,

This is something I've been wanting to do for a little while now. I spent today doing some research into alternative link building software, namely eSyndiCat and PHPLD. I haven't used any other directory script before, except my own SBD Directory Script so I wanted to check out what the competition had to offer. I was quite suprised how basic their scripts were. The articles too long to paste in here so I'll quote the first paragraph and link it.
    SBD Directory Script vs. PHPLD & eSyndiCat

For anyone that's running either of these two scripts I'm prepared to offer you a trade-in deal. Get rid of the script and buy the SBD Directory Script for $15 and I'll change over your links database to be compatible for free (provided there's less than 10,000 listings). PM me if you're interested.

Snowblind1, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  2. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    Hi SBD,

I went through your write up, first reaction - pretty impressive writeup.

However, you comparison is centered around PHPLD2. Whatever shortcomings you have mentioned about PHPLD2 are somewhat valid, but they don't hold true for V3.1. BTW, V3.10 comes for only $25 and doesn't have any of the shortcomings as mentioned in your writeup. In fact it has some more and superior features. For a serious attempt, I think that cost is justified. Just to add there are plenty of MODs available for V2 that can give near equivalent features.

Also, one of the aspect where I would like to see the comparison is related to customization. Does SBD offers same degree of customization as by PHPLD2.

I would really like to follow this discussion to better understand the claims made by you.

I can't comment on esyndicat, as I have never used it.

Thanks

NeoGen, Dec 5, 2006 IP
    amitpatel_3001 likes this.
  3. master06

master06 Peon

Best Answers:
    master06, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  4. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    seems good, search option is cool, was unknown to me
    i am using phpld for all my directories so far, might try this one..

forumrating, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  5. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi NeoGen

My writeup was on the comparisons of the *top* free scripts. Although PHPLD3 is only $25 as you say, to remove the link it's $75 - and if you want any kind of after-purchase support it's another ten. The free version of the SBD Directory Script is the same as the one you purchase, except it requires a link back. To remove the link it's only $15. Both versions (paid and free) come with after purchase/download support.

Already what you're looking at there is free vs. $35, then $15 vs. $85. Then even more if you don't have a proper understanding of how to install the modifications, of which there are for only some aspects I discussed.

The look and feel of the script is completely customisable, as well as the administrative aspects of the script. The only thing I see SBD Directory Script missing is the ability to send emails to the submitter, and this is on my list for the next update. It was never created because I didn't see the demand for it.

Which of the claims I've made do you not understand NeoGen? The observations that I have made are pretty black and white, they either have a certain function or they don't. I'd really like you discuss this more with you but you will need to be more specific.

Thank you.

Snowblind1, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  6. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are a handful of good scripts out there. If I can answer any questions about Site Sift Listings please let me know.

larysmith711, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  7. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have some list of Directory Scripts, if yours are not included in this list, please add them! Thanks!!!

wwws, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  8. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    A) I am not here trying to rebut your claim. I am trying to generate a healthy discussion around this topic so that even a noob like me can understand the differences, their merit/demerit and the respective features better. Thus take an informed decision.

B) You might assume certain thing as black and white and clear to yourself. But for the end user and a noob like me, it would be great if we see a healthy discussion around this topic. Remember PHPLD and esyndicat are not the market leader just by offering good features, they have a proven track record to support and continuously updgare their products. Plus loads of other things...

C) To be honest, its good to see competition around, at the end its good for people like us only.

D) For you personally: Its a tough path you have chosen and its really difficult confront the market leader like this. Hope and believe you will continue with this zeal. Because that is the key differentiator, we have seen plenty of folks coming, launching excellent product and fizzle out. You can't put such things in black and white. Anyway wish you all the best and for sure I would like to follow your success closely.:)

NeoGen, Dec 5, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I look forward to seeing your script grow. Good luck with it and just try not to screw anyone over that has helped you. Keep it real with your promises and deliver. :)

an0n, Dec 5, 2006 IP
    mixke likes this.
  10. praveen

praveen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    from a personal point of view, i seen only one person offer sh** loads of support for free for a long time.
    ps: u know whom i am referring to. ;)

just having good features is not enough. you need to continually update/innovate with new stuff and not be dependent on other mod developers to keep creating new ones for free.

any directory script should have x number of features out of the box and if all the new features are going to come as mods or updates, probably for a smaller directory its not an issue to update often

but for the bigger ones and busier ones, having to constantly update and change files is a real pain in the ****.

not to mention the bugs which arise at times.

whether its esyndicat, phpld, nicecoder or SBD, its the users who make it big or small.

and if the Script owner thinks he can keep doing the not so "important" things (from a end user (dir owner) point of view) and leave the other important ones later, over a period of time those hardcore users will eventually move on to a script where the script owner is willing to listen to his users.

praveen, Dec 5, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery and NeoGen like this.
  11. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi again NeoGen and cheers for your reply.

I completely understand. The reason I wrote the article was to encourage this discussion to give consumers a good idea of where the three 'free' scripts are at this point in time (I am working on comparing the new, paid versions for a separate article). Thank you for asking the questions that help me to explain it in plain English :)
    Do you have any questions about anything written in the article? I'd like to know if I've missed something out - or been vague about something.

The SBD Directory Script was released before PHPLD2 was created. It's been around for quite a while now; it's not a 'new' on the fly product that I am not planning to develop. This is the third version of the script.
    I wouldn't ever do that an0n. It sounds like you've been treated badly.

I hope so praveen, and well put about everything else. This is something, above else, that I pride myself in. Along my way I've had many suggestions and tools people want to see happen to the script, and consequently a few inevitable bugs. These tools are what make the script strong - because I've listened to what the users want. I continue to do so - and have made a public appeal at Info Vilesilencer saying I'll give anyone a free copy if their idea makes it into the 3.1 version I'm currently working on.

Thanks guys.

Snowblind1, Dec 6, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery and NeoGen like this.
  12. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is based around the compatibility. For SBD you have fairly strict minimum requirements. Whereas PhpLD is built to be compatible with a whole lot of browsers, databases, versions of php, etc.

So the code for SBD is less bloated and complex, but there will be a few people who won't be able to use it on their system.

Obelia, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  13. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is quite interesting how both of the big two have been able to get paying customers to do the programming for them this way.

I have a smaller directory, but the few mods I've already made are going to prove problematic if I try to upgrade to the latest version. Not really confidence building when within a week or two of the big release, the next release was already being discussed.

I purchased a piece of software. I expected it to work. I didn't expect to have to waste time with this sort of bs unless I was adding new functionality.

Granted the purchase price wasn't huge, but charging for a piece of software does imply a certain level of ownership and responsiblitiy to keep it as bug-free as possible.

So very true.

This is one of my biggest gripes. A friend of mine was dropped from IVS due to a bug. He fixed the bug, told the script owner about it and was given the standard answer - silence.

The script owner is going to find out soon, if it hasn't already started, that people are going to put up with that sort of behavior for only so long. I think what Snowblindd and IndexScript are continuing to build and what the folks at CantUFind are getting ready to release will begin to overtake the market dominance of the big 2 as they have built upon what made the big 2 and are avoiding their continuing mistakes.

===

I thought the review was extremely fair. Since Snowblind's script is offered for free it is a fair comparison to use the free versions of the other two. I read it expecting to see something truly slanted and biased; instead, I found a review of features and the installation process that was honest and not overwhelmed by the promotion of his own script.

I see the directory market in general as one that is booming and while the big two have become something of a de facto standard, I think both are resting on their laurels and failing to heed the warning signs that business as usual is simply not going to cut it.

I see the next generation of directory scripts building on the strong foundation already created by the big 2 and embracing the new demands and ideas of directory owners striving to create sites of value and with staying power.

YMC, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  14. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Any hosting that handles PhpLD will handle the SBD Directory Script. This script is also built to be compatible with browsers, and versions of PHP. The only thing that it doesn't have is compatability for other databases. It currently only supports MySQL. A hosting account without MySQL isn't worth your time IMO.

Interesting. What would make you think the code is less bloated and complex?

Very good post YMC.

To me, I think that's not being fair on their users. A directory script shouldn't come with a blank slate and have users running around the internet looking for modifications - then when a new version is released have to run around again. Time is valuable.

The reason PHPLD and eSyndiCat are big is because of the community aspect they've promoted. They have created a lot of die hard fans, who will support the scripts even though in most cases it wont support them when they need help. As far as I see it these fans wont consider using another script even if it had features they'd never dreamt of. The users seem to go for all the bells and whistles - because that's what they've been given. Development on the core aspects of the *directory* script is still weak.

It's going to be tough for even Cantufind to get a decent slice of the market. SBD Script has most things (releated to a directory script.. because that's what we're trying to build here. Not a blog, not an article CMS) these two other scripts have - but it's not the case when you reverse the situation. The SBD Script has a lot of core things both of these other directories are lacking.

How do you think abcsubmission.com has 20,466 links indexed in the directory? How do you think I've generated so many pages and categories? It's definately not the work of manual labour. It's the work of very detailed filters and encouraging users to submit categories by allowing them to submit the link along with it. Things like these turn a small directory into a large directory - and large directories earn you more money.

Cheers for your post again YMC

praveen likes this.
  15. praveen

praveen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I couldnt have said it better.
    Spot on.

praveen, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  16. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not so sure about that. The money man seems pretty intent on building the best possible mousetrap and has been listening to recent discussions regarding script functionality. They have promised a pretty impressive array of features already. I'm looking forward to seeing if the promises are realized.

It looks like SBD is raising the bar over phpld & eSyndicate. :)

Bernard, Dec 6, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery and YMC like this.
  17. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    omg.......

aspidov, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  18. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I've heard of the Cantufind directory (I've just heard this - I can only speculate) is that they're using a compilation of the best functions and ideas from all of the directory scripts - but aren't developing any of their own ideas. It's these unique ideas that make a directory script great, and if Cantufind has enough good ones it might get there - but I guess we'll wait and see? Anyone can replicate ideas; coming up with them is what makes good to great.

We have definitely raised the bar with the release of 3.0 - but keep an eye out for 3.1, this is where the competition is going to be murdered in terms of functions. Why? - because I listen to the people with the best ideas, and because I do they're prepared to give them to me.

19. GFX^^

GFX^^ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    imho the 2 best ones: phpld and site sift :)

GFX^^, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  20. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpLD for sure :D
    Site Sift too!! :D

As i always say!! phpld is easy to use for both users and admin, that's why directory owners use it :p

irka, Dec 6, 2006 IP