1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So you have owned a directory for a while now ...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Bernard, Nov 14, 2006.

and you wish you could tweak your script to do things differently or incoporate some custom features. If your script developer promised to dedicate their resources to implementing your suggestions, what would you ask for?

Bernard, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  2. praveen

praveen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A mod which will ensure that my directory comes up in the top 1 in all search engines for any directory related search :D

*too ambitious u think, i know.. but what the heck its my programmer who has to rack his brains on this ;).. *

praveen, Nov 14, 2006 IP
    JohnScott likes this.
  3. romow

romow Peon

Best Answers:
    smart spam filter, like those email service providers offer. :)

romow, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  4. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll also answer my question:
    • data validation options - I'd like the script to automatically check headers for submissions to ensure the link is not a redirect. A Xenu-like crawl of the site to ensure no missing pages (404s) would also be nice.
    • cross reference tools - when viewing a site in the submission queue, I'd like to be able to quickly find out what other sites in the db may have been submitted with the same email or reside on the same IP.
    • regular expression checker - It would be very cool if I could define regular expressions which the script could use to see if submissions have "privacy policy", "terms of use", "disclaimer", "about us" or other phrases on the page.
    • similarity checker for maintenance - might be a bit pie in the sky, but I'd like for the script to be able to crawl approved sites in batches on a chron job and compare the pages against the last crawl and flag them if they are out of a certain range of similarity
    that's a start. I'll add more later...

Bernard, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  5. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    That last one you suggest bernard sounds awesome.

Seiya, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  6. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm a modest guy.

Long time ago I was asking for just one simple thing, submission of category at the same time as url is submitted.

No deal.

Got some really big ideas, as well as some modest ones, but not wasting time asking any longer.

I started practicing being happy with what is available :)

subseo, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  7. SonicReducer

SonicReducer Peon

Best Answers:
    Stay tuned, it's in the works :)

SonicReducer, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  8. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That does indeed sound awesome. But it might just flag up a lot more sites that are regularly updated and redesigned, rather than ones that have changed use.

One feature I'd find useful would be something to crawl the links and log the last time a page was changed, according to the last-modified date on their index page, then sort them by date. That would be a good way to flag up dead and dormant sites.

Obelia, Nov 15, 2006 IP
    Bernard likes this.
  9. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    I have thought about that before, but what about blogs and other sites that change all the time. In addition to that I was also thinking of a whois checker to flag sites that have changed owners or that their domains were dropped.

One thing that I would like is a firefox copyscape extension (right click -> Check copyscape). I know it isn't a directory mod but it would make my life easier.

dkessaris, Nov 15, 2006 IP
    Bernard likes this.
  10. JagoHarry

JagoHarry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would like a feature where you can define your own heuristics to help weed out submissions not sticking to the policy.

e.g. using regular expressions to dig out subdomain sites or deep links when they're not featured.

JagoHarry, Nov 15, 2006 IP
    Bernard likes this.
  11. Bernard

Best Answers:
    A surprising percentage of text in the source code for every page is contained the html coding. I'm guessing that a similarity checker with a low threshold (50-60%) should be a useful gauge for flagging pages that are likely to have been completely re-designed versus those with some fresh content. At any rate, if the feature were customizable (ie. admin sets the target %) and optional (as all suggested features should be), those who don't like don't need to mess with it. I personally would find it very helpful in auditing the db.

That is a great idea. If copyscape offers an API, there is no reason why a script couldn't screen submissions automagically.

BTW, the similarity checker should flag sites/pages where the domain lapsed when it (the DNS) doesn't resolve any more.

JagoHarry, yes, that was the direction I was going with my reg exp checker suggestion, though I think you took it to 11. :)

Bernard, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  12. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I keep hoping for this functionality too. Seems like it wouldn't be all that difficult to implement, yet even in this thread it got quickly bypassed.

YMC, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  13. Bernard

Best Answers:
    Oops. I forgot to mention it. I agree that it is a *must* feature.

Bernard, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  14. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yes.. give the SPAMMERS a means of submitted several hundred new categories, including their links all at the same time.

sometimes you guys need to think about the repercussions prior to being the gimme gimme gimme vultures that a good majority of you are.

an0n, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  15. Bernard

Best Answers:
    Spammers will submit whether a category suggestion feature is in place or not. This feature can help honest webmasters who are not expert directory managers/submitters an option for submitting their quality site where they otherwise would not (because an appropriate category did not exist).

Features such as these should be optional for the directory owner to use or not at their discretion. I personally would find this feature of value. You apparently don't think much of it. Different strokes.

You've got a bad attitiude Rob. Blanket statements like that casting aspersions is really not constructive. I paid for the script I'm using and I'd pay more for a script that does everything that I want it to.

There is nothing wrong with fostering discussion of features that directory owners would like to see. Hopefully some progressive script writers will hear opportunity knocking and answer the call of the market.

Bernard, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  16. Bernard

Best Answers:
    Back on topic... More features I'd like to see:
    • attach image(s) - I'd like submitters to be able to upload image attachements that can be incorporated into the display templates or descriptions. Ie. logos that could be offset from the description like many directories currently place screenshot thumbnails or displayed inline in the descriptions using a placeholder code ({img1} for example).
    • simple formatting codes like BBCode - to allow submitters to include bulleted lists for example. It would be great if admins could pick and choose (or custom define) the codes they want to allow.

Bernard, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  17. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    Esyndicat added this to version 2 I believe

I am not a coder but if I am not mistaken there is a smarty bbcode plugin that could probably be used for this.

One more suggestion that might appear in some extent in some scripts.
    Customisable plans and a shopping cart.
    What do I mean by customisable plans.
    1. Be able to create unlimited types of plans
    2. Be able to assign attributes to each plan like : Paid (Yes/No), CSS style, Order of appearance of the sites under different plans in the frontend, length of time, additional urls (yes, no, how many) etc
    3. Be able to assign different plans to different categories

And the shopping cart that would allow us to offer special discounts, promo codes, bulk discounts etc

18. Simon Gooffin

Simon Gooffin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    dkessaris is right. eSyndiCat does have a feature to upload images. For example you can create additional field with image type, set its width + height and it will be displayed on your suggest link and listings display pages with no additional modifications.

BBCode :) Hmm, our previous version had something like that.. We removed it because of some security issues.

Simon Gooffin, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  19. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Simon,
    Take a look at this also
    Or at least allow us to charge for featured listings. Right now esyndicat 2 has a ton of bells and wistles but it is hardly usable to create a paid directory.

20. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That has to depend on how well the page has been coded, for example how extensively css is used.

But it shouldn't be too much of a leap to strip the html tags from the page and compare what is left over. So you could have a % similarity for the whole page, and a different % for the text on its own. It's probably also possible to do a regexp to strip out the text and just look at the code (there may even be a function to do this in php, kind of strip_tags in reverse, I don't know). So it is possible to separate out the different elements of the page and compare changes in order to figure out if a page has been redesigned or simply updated with new text.

Obelia, Nov 15, 2006 IP