1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get Listed in DMOZ ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by bulletinblips, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am sure you did not waste your visit to discover that and offered the information through the update button on every page. Glad of your help.

Anonymously, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  2. josborn1234

josborn1234 Member

Best Answers:
    There is no magic formula for this that I am aware of, just submit and hope for the best.

josborn1234, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  3. Francois L

Francois L Peon

Best Answers:
    HIt and miss on that one for me too.
    I submitted sites "properly" over 4 years ago and still not listed with DMOZ. Submitted a site last year and just got listed?!?

Since it does not take time to register, I'd suggest you submit all your sites ONCE and let it be.
    Cya.

Francois L, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  4. Matt_Baker

Matt_Baker Peon

Best Answers:
    It's very difficult to get listed on DMOZ. Since I have started to know and learn SEO and DMOZ is the most popular directory, the sites that I have submitted were not in DMOZ listings :)

Matt_Baker, Oct 26, 2011 IP
  5. blacklizt

blacklizt Peon

Best Answers:
    same here, about 4 times submitted to DMOZ and failed

blacklizt, Nov 7, 2011 IP
  6. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How do you think any directory should treat those who can not follow the guidelines that they agree to when they submit? Do you think you should be treated like that for submitting more than once?

Agent000, Nov 7, 2011 IP
  7. ricky010

ricky010 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey man.Thanks for this.It's very reliable. I'll read through this once i'm finish with some submissions.

ricky010, Nov 7, 2011 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Could have submitted four sites once each...

How do you think people should treat a forum that has such a long wait time, and little to know communication? *shrug* could be a matter of payback. Treat submitters like crap and only get crappy submitters!

Qryztufre, Nov 8, 2011 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    This sentence does not make sense. I wonder what he was really trying to say?

Anonymously, Nov 9, 2011 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    No you don't and you know it. Though, you are correct, it makes little sense within the context of the discussion. Lemme try again...

How do you think people should treat a DIRECTORY that has such a long wait time, and little to know communication? *shrug* could be a matter of payback. Treat submitters like crap and only get crappy submitters!

But now that I think about it, it likely should not have been all that hard to figure out what I was getting at, and even if I left it like I did, how would you like going to a forum that has a reply button only to find out it's only there for looks and all use of said button puts your comments on hold pending the review of hundreds of moderators that may or may not get around to approving it or even rejecting it and never letting you know.

Is there really a difference?

Lemme try with stamp collecting. How would you like to get a hold of that super rare and wonderful stamp and when you put it in your stamp collecting book you have to wait up to years before you can see it, and even then it may not of been approved.

Heh, you are right, the ODP is a lot like collecting stamps ;)

Qryztufre, Nov 9, 2011 IP
  11. zigzag007

zigzag007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the average time to get listed is 10+ years if you are lucky.

zigzag007, Nov 11, 2011 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  12. TheAllusionist

TheAllusionist Peon

Best Answers:
    It is actually a great big mystery, must come down to what section/category you are submitting to, mine must have nobody at the wheel. I have tried for 11 years on my main site and on my others since them, all of them relating to computer graphics in some way and I can't seem to get listed even if once a year is the most I have submitted. Quality is key is crap as my site may not be setting the world on fire, but it is one of the top 5 (English Speaking architectural visualization community as far as respected, etc.) in its specialty and is PR5, I would think that would qualify it as quality enough to get listed, but it doesn't.

The thing is, you shouldn't get mad at a volunteer program, it is free and done by volunteers. Sure it would be nice to feel like it was fair to all, but it isn't. No matter what there will be complaints and I feel like it is totally bogus after 11 years of not betting in, or the other sites I have tried, but that is how it is, it is not like they have targeted me personally and are screwing with me.

I came here from a search on the Internet trying to find out if there was a method that was successful, so the initial question was valid in my opinion as following DMOZ guidelines isn't enough in a lot of situations. I can understand why there are people asking how to get listed. Good Luck and wish me luck! LOL

TheAllusionist, Nov 22, 2011 IP
  13. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    Submit it and hope for the best. You have to try everything that is available. I would not be waiting on this to bring you any returns. Do what is necessary and move onto other techniques. Many many directories exist.

JPC-Sabrina, Nov 22, 2011 IP
  14. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Well you certainly did not follow theguidelines from the start...you know the ones you signed to say you had read them when you suggested a site...and one of those is "submit a URL only ONCE", so looks a though your site became spam toast.

Anonymously, Nov 23, 2011 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    What an odd thing... to punish the end user based on the actions of the site owner. Why on earth would you want to do such a thing if the ODP is truly about those looking to find a categorized index of the web?

Qryztufre, Nov 23, 2011 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sorry as I keep reminding you and as my signature says, I do not represent DMOZ, though you do like to personalise things don't you? You know the address of AOL if you think this is not a reasonable position, please do write to them as owners of DMOZ, not me, thank you.

Anonymously, Nov 24, 2011 IP
  17. tinycoin

tinycoin Active Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is not good.
    SOme useless sites but still listed on DMOZ, while others are high quality and big companies but DMOZ doesn't accept.

I wonder how many sites of DMOZ authors are listed there.

tinycoin, Nov 24, 2011 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I started a thread here asking for the contact information for AOL for the ODP, if you recall correctly not even the editors of DMOZ could help me with that. Care to share the address now?

Though my question still stands. Why on earth would you want to punish the end user for the actions of the website owner?

Qryztufre, Nov 25, 2011 IP
  19. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As I recall correctly I told you at that time :p. If you'd subsequently forgotten it, it's very easily found with a little light Googling :).

jimnoble, Nov 25, 2011 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Strange I must have missed you even posting in that thread: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=356817

Though it is odd that I contact the legal department to discuss things about the ODP... are you sure that's correct?

EDIT: Maybe you can answer my question Jim... Why on earth would the ODP want to punish the end user for the actions of the website owner?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
    Qryztufre, Nov 25, 2011 IP