1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Thread Necromancy allowed?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Christian Little, Dec 3, 2009.

I've seen a few people committing thread necromancy over the last few weeks. Typically I hit the report button and put 'thread necromancy' in the reason for reporting, but I don't know if the moderators actually do anything about it.

I did check the 'Allowed or Not' and 'Infractions' stickies in this forum, there is no mention of it in either. That tells me it's acceptable, but I would like to clarify this issue.

Should I keep reporting thread necromancy? Or is it one of those things that's allowed?

Christian Little, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  2. Love*

Love* Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What is thread necromancy?

Love*, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  3. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    Replying to a thread that hasn't had a post in 6+ months. The sole purpose is to get your link in it since it's probably got link juice/pagerank. It's basically bumping a dead thread, hence the term thread necromancy :)

Wikipedia: Thread Necromancy

4. Love*

Love* Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Oooh, yeah, thanks for explaining. :) I didn't know there was a fancy name for that, LOL. I, myself, report some of those. I think the other day that was I reported a new post on a thread that was made in 2006. I don't think it was to put a link in though (I forget).

Maybe if they don't have links in their post those are valid?

Love*, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  5. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Bumping old threads with nothing of value results in infractions. You often see that as a post padding move made my new members to post in buy, sell, trade. Also link spammers use technique as well.

Smyrl, Dec 3, 2009 IP
  6. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been seeing TONS of this in the games and hardware forum. It really ticks me off too because Shawn was nice enough to add these sections and they have already gone to crap. I will open up one of those sections and see the same username has posted in almost every thread on the page, all within 1 minute of each other. Yes, I have been reporting it but it just doesn't stop! Argh!

Firegirl, Dec 3, 2009 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  7. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for clarifying Smyrl :) I mostly wanted to make sure I would get in crap for reporting that type of BS.

Smyrl likes this.
  8. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    While I'm very much against it, maybe autoclosing threads after a certain period, say 30 days, would be something to consider.

theapparatus, Dec 5, 2009 IP
  9. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    theapparatus, Dec 5, 2009 IP