1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How often do the editors include websites they find

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Caesar1, Dec 20, 2008.

I have been reading some posts with editors saying that sites often get included from editors.

my question for webmasters is, has your site or sites been included without submitting to the directory

My question for members or former members of the directory is, do you think sites that are of good quality, at some point in time will be found by the directory and be included into the directory

Caesar1, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  2. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    I have added about 25,000 sites to the directory, and I would think only a few hundred of them were external suggestions. Many other editors would have similar experiences. So the answer to your second question is "Yes, if an editor is interested in building that area of the directory, it is possible they will find a particular site and add it."
    The point is that nobody has any way of know when that might happen, or who the editor will be, or where they will look for sites. By suggesting a site to the directory, all you are doing is increasing the chance that an editor will find it when they next work on building that category.
    That's all. :)

makrhod, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  3. freight guy

freight guy Member

Best Answers:
    so how can i get my site listed, I have a very nice site, but I can not get it listed for some reason

freight guy, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  4. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry that you are under a misapprehension, but DMOZ is not a listing service for webmasters, so there is no legitimate way for you to "get" your site listed.
    If an editor finds your site (wherever they may be looking) and decides it will add value to a category, they might list it within a few minutes of finding it. But if a volunteer does not find your site, or if nobody feels like working in that area, then it will not be listed.

Either way, you have no control over the process. Thank you for suggesting your site for a volunteer to review, but that's all you have done. If you want certain results or more control, there are many other internet directories which offer that service, but DMOZ is not what you are looking for.

makrhod, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  5. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I added thousands of sites during my 8+ years there, but for the first few years most of my work was building up sections of the directory that seldom received submissions and in the early going I didnt have privs outside those areas, so yes, there are tons of sites added that were not "suggested" from outside. I added thousands without them being sent to me. Most of that was in little Regional cats that wouldnt have existed if we didnt seed them.

When I got there in '99 I only had 1 website and it was already in the directory in 8 or 9 places before I arrived. It was a real estate site and back before the Regional Reorg and the impplementation of the Real Estate Guidelines it was protocol for RE sites to be in more than one locality if they served the others, plus the Regional tree and the topical tree included dups (ie: you could start at the Topical tree and drill down the RE section to a city RE cat... and you could also start at the top of the Regional tree... drill down to a city cat and look under Real Estate).

The overlapping Topical/Regional RE cats were removed later... taxonomy is much cleaner now, and my sites (some of which I'd submitted before arrival, some editors had placed before my arrival) were pared down to a single listing in the location of the office in keeping with the current structure. I was involved in the rules that made that happen and in the implementation... the idea was to create a more level playing field in what was prior to that a very spammy part of the directory.

I can attest that most dmoz eds are just there to do a job right, not to rake in money by abusing their privs. Exceptions are kicked out when caught. The common misconception of larceny is due to the inability of some outside to understand that many of the editors are motiveted more by OCD than greed. If you get in there and read their forums you'll find enough examples to see the truth in that. LOL. Most eds are usually just compulsives trying to bring order to something that's slightly less doable than sweeping sand off a beach.

Ya gotta pity the good eds... they're sick people (and I mean that in the nicesat way possible). :)

Some will, some won't. True of any directory.

The Official Robjones Playboy Analogy (Copyright 2008)
    Will Playboy ever catalog every hot chick on the planet? No. They cant, never told us they could. They'll get some good ones, but new girls reach their prime every day. There may be girls in Maxim that never make it into Playboy. Playboy is no less worthy (hey, I just read the articles, mom) because it doesnt have every one, it still provides a handy resource to see some of the better ones. There are no doubt many girls that would look great on their pages that'll never make it. Doesnt make Playboy wrong, or make the girls less good looking, they cant realistically all be cataloged (tho ya gotta thank 'em for the ones they do). Limited resources vs infinite choices make finishing the task impossible.

[I like this anology because deep down, I'm shallow.] :) Anyone re-using it has to send me a royalty.

robjones, Dec 21, 2008 IP
    hyper likes this.
  6. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the replies

makrhod, thanks for your input, so if Meta editors add sites, it makes it tuff for editors of a catogory to game it, meanning that they really don't have control over it

"The Official Robjones Playboy Analogy (Copyright 2008)"
    Woot woot...Robjones, you have way to much time on your hands. send me one of those hats, you can only get them from Texas

Caesar1, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  7. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No one person has full control of a cat even if their name is on it. The metas and editalls can edit anywhere in the directory, and if someone is caught coloring outside the lines they lose their login. The way it is explained internally... "Nobody OWNS a category." New eds that come in thinking they do occsionally post a "how dare they change all my brilliant work" threads, and it is usually their last thread if they don't figure out the drill and square away the attitude. The project is a collaborative effort.

robjones, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  8. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Rob it kinda seemed it was a little but I really don't know the how its ran, looking from the outside in.

Caesar1, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I've only submitted around half of my sites. Half of my sites are also listed within the directory. I did originally list one on my own, but that one was removed and has been put back within the directory.

My other sites that are listed, most of them do have a listing are the ones that I did NOT submit. so *shrug* Are they the best sites? heh, certainly not... I'd have not submitted any of them had they not been ready for a listing.

Do I still submit sites? Sure do, I submit mine, as well as other sites I frequent. Though, from the looks of my past experience, I may be doing a disservice to the sites I like, as seemingly I've been getting better odds by NOT submitting *boggle*

Qryztufre, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  10. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL this is very true, I've seen those posts. thats probly why newbies get a small section to start with so meta's can see what kind of track record they have.

Caesar1, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it is really worth the price but if you want to list your site, here is the way. ;)

The easy way to get your site listed in DMOZ.

gworld, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  12. aspardeshi

aspardeshi Peon

Best Answers:
    it is really not worth it really, it took me 5 years and still waiting.

aspardeshi, Jan 25, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  13. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you have only submitted once in 5 years, try again. They lost your submission back in 05.

Qryztufre, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  14. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    even if is quite late for my answer to the Caesar1's question , editors are volunteers on the ODP , they are free to spend their time how they wish and when they wish . Its said by few of them they add usually sites on directory based on the guidelines and rules which its seems its a must to be respected there , even if its called to be respected this rules and guidelines innocent peoples who use ODP searching particular things can find there urls which aren't comply with this rules and guidelines that's because of changing the rules over the years and maybe just a mistakes . Funny its web.archive.org and whois records and cache from google cant be edited same way voluntary :) .

trustnobodynever, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  15. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Since I barely had any public submissions I had to search everywhere just to find a website worth listing (which isn't easy in obscure hobby niches) just to get my edit count up so I can get approved to more categories or to fill test categories with enough websites to make them worthy of moving to public apparently I was found out and removed since it was something against the guidelines. :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  16. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Editors are encouraged to find and add worthwhile sites to the directory. That's primarily what we do, hundreds of times every day. It is facile to suggest that would be the reason for anyone to be removed.

makrhod, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  17. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    If we don't know the reason how can you claim that? :rolleyes:

I recall meta delisting website I've added beacuse s/he was unable to figure out what it was about since s/he was unfamiliar with topic. So who knows what exactly was I found out about. :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  18. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:

who care's about the reasons , easy with reply's under the forums because its seems I`ve just got an infraction there :D '' spamming the forums '' , I`m annoying peoples saying the truth , and I`ve put myself in '' bad light '' trying to point out '' mistakes '' which are visible done by someone , funny is how can I get infractions on DP , sub folder about ODP / DMOZ even if I got it within one of reply who didn't said nothing '' wrong '' about it , what can be next to have there a suggest feature to be banned because I say what I say ? similar with suggestions of links from odp

trustnobodynever, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  19. www.rapidvectorseo.com

www.rapidvectorseo.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Editors always be ready to add interesting website in the most relevant categories. Even i found few sites in multiple categories related to the content of the website.

www.rapidvectorseo.com, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  20. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, that's what we do. :)
    Although even non-interesting sites can be worthwhile additions to a category. Editors generously spend their time finding and adding excellent but definitely yawn-inspiring sites on topics like Informatics Associations, Actuarial Recruiters and Parliamentary Procedure. ZZZzzzzzzzzz.

makrhod, Jan 30, 2009 IP