1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How should I start my services?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by pickagun, Oct 15, 2008.

Should I respond to those looking for pieces of content? Should I just create my own thread and wait? Should I create content and sell in the Content section?

I don't know what I should do. I know I should start with a cheaper rate to get my name out there a bit, but yeah...

pickagun, Oct 15, 2008 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you think you should start with a cheaper rate to "get your name out there," you should really think again before doing anything at all. :) While I can't give you a hand-holding step-by-step (since I just launched an e-book for sale doing pretty much that ;) ), I will say this - spend some time looking around the copywriting forum if you haven't. Several of us have explained why you should never market based on price.

I also have a few articles on my blogs that may help:

Setting Freelance Writing Rates the Right Way
    How to Get High Paying Freelance Writing Jobs
    The Most Important Marketing Tip for Web Writers

jhmattern, Oct 15, 2008 IP
  3. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    internetauthor, Oct 15, 2008 IP
    cd928 likes this.
  4. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can do all of those and you don't have to start with a cheaper rate.

Never "just wait" for buyers to come to you. If you're not getting any clients, you should be out trying to get them.

P.S. DP isn't the only place you can get freelance writing work.

latoya, Oct 15, 2008 IP
  5. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, you can and still be swamped if you've got the right stuff. But it's not a good idea unless you're excellent and the excellence shines through in every little thing that you do.

lightless, Oct 15, 2008 IP
  6. icjackson

icjackson Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you try to compete on DP based on price, you'll starve to death.

It seems apparent to me (also a newbie) that quality is king (or queen if you will) when marketing yourself as a content writer here. I am facing the same challenge with prospective clients in this forum, but taking it all in stride.

;-)

icjackson, Oct 15, 2008 IP
  7. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot Jenn.....for guiding me to good and informative read.

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  8. tinimini

tinimini Peon

Best Answers:
    Create your thread and starting offering service, if you will wait that buyers will come to you,
    then forget it, that wont ever happen.

tinimini, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  9. snarke

snarke Peon

Best Answers:
    Another reason not to market on price alone: The better opportunities are those offered by clients willing to pay the better rates. Take a close look at the content creation forum. How often do you see people offering jobs where they need fifty articles on something by tomorrow and only want to pay $1 per 500 words? Placing an ad of your own can be a good idea, but you'll fare better if you put a link to your site (if you haven't put together a website about you and your services, now's the time to do it!) and then participate in discussions. The great clients are more likely to contact you based on your participation in a conversation here than they are by responding to an ad that gets placed on the content creation board :)

snarke, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  10. waynekey1

waynekey1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest the subtle method of just get started. Try some stuff. Sell a few pieces at a low rate and get your name out there. Keep track of what works and what doesnt. Post and interact. You can go to google and do a blog search for writer's blogs. There are lots of resources, dont do what I did and sit around waiting at first. Just get started and write a lot every day. Even if you dont have a client write an article. Some time it will sell or at the very least be a sample.
    regards,
    Wayne

waynekey1, Oct 16, 2008 IP
  11. Nicholas Yong

Nicholas Yong Peon

Best Answers:
    IF you're looking to get clients from DP - take a look at how you post (spelling, grammar, level of interest).

Also take a look at what you're really selling. Yes, you're a writer however, your clients products/services want to be placed into the hands of decision makers (meaning those who can buy - now and/or in the future).

So -

A plumbing client isn't selling fixing pipes; they're selling peace of mind that your pipes won't burst at 3am Sunday Morning.

A restaurant isn't selling tasty food; it's selling the experience that more couples get engaged, businesses sign more contracts and the celebrity chef of the week visits each and every table.

You also have to know your tolerance for the level of client. For example if you're bombarded with 'Can you give me a discount" are you willing to accept?

Nicholas Yong, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  12. avonlee1983

avonlee1983 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The hardest part is starting out. Make sure your first few clients leave you positive iTrader comments in order to increase your reputation. The more positive iTraders you have, the easier it is to snatch new clients.

avonlee1983, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  13. Jordank14

Jordank14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest getting as much of your work out there as you can. Once you've proven your worth, jobs will start rolling in if you're any good.

Jordank14, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  14. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    Good at....marketing!;)

internetauthor, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  15. Duratec

Duratec Banned

Best Answers:
    more than anything else, you should know your own value as a writer.

Duratec, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  16. shelley3122

shelley3122 Peon

Best Answers:
    does anyone know how to get the green reputation?

shelley3122, Nov 10, 2008 IP
    Tyler Banfield likes this.
  17. michaelgrisso

michaelgrisso Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:

Hey,

Well, not sure if my opinion means a lot here yet since I'm new to this forum, but I have been freelance writing for awhile. Everyone has great helpful tips here, but in the end it's obviously up to you.

For instance, if you need steady income then sell content. Can you hold off for the price you feel you should get paid? Would you rather take a hit upfront in the beginning so you can build a solid foundation and reputation here?

Someone spoke about other avenues in freelance writing and you really should take a deeper look. While you're building everything up here little by little, you can still be making money elsewhere. Just some food to process.

Good luck~

michaelgrisso, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  18. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tyler Banfield, Nov 10, 2008 IP