1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

enlighten you guys about directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Danielregwan, Jul 19, 2008.

every post in this forum is usually worth more then submitting your link to a directory, now you ask me why - it's simple:

check out the categories in the forum they are PR6 the page rank is leaking into the threads and from the threads into your websites, most directories you guys submit to got no pr even some of the paid directories got low pr pr2-pr4 on the MAIN PAGE how many links are eating away the main page pr on this directories ? it's leaking all over the place once it gets to your link

home page->category->category2 (sometimes even more)
    the pr becomes useless and you will notice that many directories got PR only in the home page for that exact reason, they're not strong enough.

conclusion is more pr is leaking to your sig in this forum then pr that GOD KNOWS H OW reaches your link in some free directory (even in many paid ones) - directory submission is useless, sure it will say you got a lot of backlinks but how much PR you get from all of those? 1 link from a pr2-pr3 page will be more effective then a 5000 maybe more free directories.

look for ways to get links from high pr pages, directory submissions are dead unless you got money for quality directories and there aren't many of those.

good luck:eek:

Danielregwan, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  2. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried to get a PR just from directory submissions? I used to PR4 with 500-700 directory submissions a couple of years ago. Last year I could get only a PR3 by doing 1500 submissions (there may have been some natural links too but no other link building was done for this site).

You have a point in saying that PR gain from each directory is very low and I would partially agree with you on PR2/PR3 page link because quality of links matters but "right now" 500-1000 free directory submission can easily outdo more than 1 PR2/3 links. This might change in future though.

jitendraag, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  3. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    bla..bla..bla...Most newbies here talk like they are authority allthought they dont really know anything.Anyway its normal because there is no senior members anymore in this forum and if they drop by they dont open threads.So go ahead and post many new threads and your site will climb serps :) :p

scoobby, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  4. Danielregwan

Danielregwan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well it depends on the strength of the directory and your niche of course(category level), we can't estimate such numbers it can take 5000 directories to reach pr3 and it can take 500 i agree with you.

my point was that most of the time forum posts leak more pagerank to your website then a directory link does (depends on your niche and the pagerank of the inner category).

5. Danielregwan

Best Answers:
    what makes you think I'm a newbie ?
    I'm sorry but if you don't understand the simple concept of Page Rank
    that doesn't mean I'm a newbie.

6. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Exactly.

Pay or die, harsh and not liked - but oh so very true. :)

Event_King, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  7. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    unless you are speaking for the spam everyone approve directories wich are free and 1 year exist and then dissapear and some people offer to submit to 1000 of them with 3$ then you dont understand the concept of pr.
    see for example in my european direcory with a fee of 5$ you get a pr4 link that you share with 10 sites.Also you get a details page with 3 deep links that u also share with 10 sites.Now let me know how many post and threads you have to start to take the same link juice from this forum.

scoobby, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  8. jitendraag

Best Answers:
    I won't agree that forums are better than directories for pagerank :)

Take this thread for example ( I picked a random thread ) http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=935455

20 responses on 1 page. Each member having 3-4 signature links and one homepage link (I don't know if it gets indexed, I do see backlinks in yahoo for homepages that are not in SIG). Total 60 outbound links on this page + more if the discussions involves external sites (and people do link dumping on forums all the time). A typical directory will have 10-20 links on a page (at max).

Forums had MUCH more number of pages then directories do. The only good thing about forums is the content is relatively unique (I am assuming that copy paste content is not allowed)..

Forum threads have a high potential of getting high PR because they can be referenced by bloggers who take a fancy for a particular thread. But relative juice passed will still be very low for forum pages.

9. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

Yes, this is the problem. The senior members likely have superior knowledge and get driven away because of the conflict. I've seen it happen on many a forum.

But their knowledge is SEO mostly, and a directory cannot survive or be anything using that 1 technique alone. Like I keep saying, so much more is involved in this and the very few know what their doing.

Newbies are that - novices. That's why they hit forums, except forums only offer basics, and it's highly unlikely you'll get mentored using one, unless Richard Branson drops by ;) ..........

Event_King, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  10. jitendraag

Best Answers:
    I would like to point out that being a new comer in DP doesn't mean the guy is new to SEO. It's true that many newcomers to this forum are new to SEO but that's not true for all of them.

That said.. in my opinion directory links are better than forum links.

@scooby, I checked PR of your internal pages.. quite a few are PR4. That's pretty good for a bidding directory.

11. Danielregwan

Best Answers:
    so let me enlighten you dear seo master..

http://www.bidlink.eu/

your home page is PR4
    now lets count how many links are they on your home page wait i will count
    from the page source:

48 outgoing links from your home page divide your PR4

pr4/48 - home page

now lets go to the inner categories you got some PR4 links which is good, your website only has 1 category level, but each category has a number of pages
    do you have any idea how much pr from this PR4 leak out to the people that pay you (depends on the category, your category doesn't have many category levels so it's different then others) ?

and lets remember the fact that your directory is a PAID DIRECTORY once again you lack another skill which is reading comprehension, I didn't say all the directories are useless - I said most of them are + read my last phase

"directory submissions are dead unless you got money for quality directories and there aren't many of those."

i earn probably 10 times more then you online, but hey I'm the newbie.. have a nice day and this is the last time I'm going to contribute in this forum
    because of people like this guy.. that can't stand the lack of there own knowledge.

12. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Conflict consumes a lot of knowledge.

Loud noise more often than not drowns out the voice of reason. If you are a member that considers knowledge more important than the argument/conflict then perhaps keeping posters on topic through common courtesy would work better than scaring them away with your intellectual prowess :)

silencer, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  13. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    newbie is the one that saying tha a pr6 divided 300 links divided to 60 is more powerfull from even a pr1 divided to 20!

scoobby, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  14. jitendraag

Best Answers:
    I don't think you can keep links to internal pages and links to external sites in the same category. Unlike other directories this directory doesn't even have the partner/sponsor links.

Good that you put a 'probably' there :) I wouldn't claim to earn more than anyone else (online or otherwise) unless I know how much they earn.

Whether you want to contribute to the forum or learn from it is completely up to you. :)

15. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @jiten, whilst I agree that not all newcomers are newbies to SEO, it would appear to me that this is indeed the case.

@daniel, the fantastic PR6 although great as it may be will never pass an ounce of PR juice to your web site, not even a tiny little droplet. You might get quarter of a droplet if you are very lucky, at most and here is why...

This thread you started is at the top of the nice looking PR6 category, but by tomorrow (Ok, Monday as it's a weekend and the forum is slower on weekends) this thread will be on page 2, by Tuesday / Wednesday it will be on page 3 and it will continue dropping lower and lower and lower. So as your thread continues to drop the PR continues to dissipate....

Now if your still following along here, lets just say by some miracle that this thread turns out to be the most popular thread in this category (not likely, we both know that, but lets just say it is).... you will end up with a great big whopping PR3....

Here is the real thread which is the most popular in terms of views and replies for this section of the forum and as I say it is a PR3. That thread is 321 days old and there are 892 posts.

Now a quick bit of basic math on the presumption that all of the people who replied to that thread used up the full allowance of 4 links that are allowed in a signature. 892 * 4 = (PR3 / 3568 links)

And that doesn't even begin to take into account the PR degrading through the 45 pages plus all of the internal linkage.

Forum links are about as useful for PR as me sticking a sign on my car with my domain name printed on it.

Just IMHO of course ;)

SilkySmooth, Jul 19, 2008 IP
    jitendraag likes this.
  16. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What if you were driving said car through my hometown whilst all those impressionable pilgrims are about? ;)

silencer, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  17. Ben-AceofTech

Ben-AceofTech Active Member

Best Answers:
    They are not all useless. You are still getting backlinks and even if they are not helping you in Pagerank, your getting backlinks and potential visitors, plus if that directory excels and becomes quality to the point in which there is a PR on almost every page then your in luck.

Signing up for PR1 or 2 directories now might not seem like much, but maybe one out of 100 will go on to be a good, quality directory that can actually help you in the future.

Ben-AceofTech, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  18. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I honestly couldn't answer for the impressionable pilgrims, but the dwellers of the shanty towns in Brazil I can categorically state do not pass link juice nor PR. ;)

SilkySmooth, Jul 19, 2008 IP
    silencer likes this.
  19. Ben-AceofTech

Ben-AceofTech Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can tell you sticking your site's URL up on a billboard that gets maybe 500,000+ cars a day could really do you a benefit... for a probably hefty price!

Ben-AceofTech, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  20. jitendraag

Best Answers:
    I won't agree with you here.. just because he thinks (incorrectly) that forum links are better than directory links doesn't mean he is new to SEO. He is claiming that he is not new to this.. though he would probably accept that he was incorrect in thinking that forum links are better.

All I am saying is old hats can also make mistakes. I am taking OPs word that he is not a newbie to SEO :)

@silkysmooth: Good explanation about PR from forums being negligible.. I didn't even include the links on subsequent pages !!

I think domain names on car with attractive graphics is a superb idea for publicity. Just yesterday I visited a website after seeing their ad on a taxi.

SilkySmooth likes this.