1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Unauthorized paypal transaction I think i got scammed!

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by jo-z, Jul 14, 2008.

This morning 14 July 2008 I found out that my paypal acount is negative 760 australian dollars. This is due to an unauthorise transaction. From a buyer of a mobile phone that I listed on ebay.

I tried to give explaination to pay pal here it is;

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On 20th March 2008 I met in person with the buyer named M Wolf in Kingcross Sydney at 7pm, in front of the Coles. His ebay username is (mareflow86). I put the item on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230253371003&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:AU:11) and this user emailed me offering to end my auction early by paying 760 AUD. He said he is currently traveling in Australia get his girlfiend “Helen” to send the money through paypal. The next day I got the money from “Helen” on paypal and I really thinks he is legitimate user. Previously I asked him to give me cash on spot, but he said he don’t carry his ATM card and since he is Travelling he get his girlfriend to pay me on paypal. Therefore I meet him up in person and do the transactions. Everything seemed fined and he walk off, knowing I got the money on my bank I assume its fine.

I have not got his phone number because he keep on calling me prior our meeting with private number. I’ve been using paypal for 5 years and have not found drama like this. My ebay Id is buygundamshop I did 118 transaction with 100% positives feedback, is there anything that I can help to further proof this situation please let me know. The Item that I gave him is Nokia N95 8GB with IMEI: 359542014974024 wlan 001W3A90E36A.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't give out any Postal information because I meet the person on spot. I have emailed proof from that person, saying where to meet and when.

It looked like the person might be using Helen paypal account. Or maybe a stolen credit card.

I've done nothing wrong, and already give out the goods to that scammer.

Judging this situation. I'm not going to pay for it. It's not about the amount of money but for me its about a matter principle.

But what the hell, isnt it paypal is there to make transaction safe. I trust that guy because I got the money from paypal and get it cleared to my bank account. I got the money cleared to my bank I thought must be legit.
    But giving out a negative balance ??!? And its already happening almost 1 month now.

Well if they dont do me justice. I will let them close my account. I will quit using paypal!

Who's fault is that if that person got her credit card stolen and someone use it to purchase goods on behalf. Its her negligence she should stop it immediately. Isn't it unfair for me to pay for this?!

jo-z, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  2. Korrupt

Korrupt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A faster option would be to call them, Call them and explain the complete situation to them and try to sound sad and pessimistic :p

Korrupt, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  3. jo-z

jo-z Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks !! I will try to contact them tomorrow,

This is the email that I got from paypal today ..

=========================

Recently, PayPal received a notification from a user regarding unauthorized access to his PayPal account. As a result, one of the payments credited to your PayPal account has been placed in a temporary hold while we investigate the claim. PayPal constantly monitors transactions for unauthorized use of accounts in order to maintain the safety of our users.

The details of this transaction are as follows:

Transaction Date: 18 May 2008
    Transaction Amount: $760.00 AUD
    Buyer's Email: hellsbells21@hotmail.com

======================

has stuff like this happened before ? ? I read on the net the seller chances to win is a bit hard...... anyone had similar experience ?

jo-z, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  4. Korrupt

Korrupt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea this has happened with me before, it was only 20$ though so no big loss, and also, I set up a script to disable the socks5 that that person bought as soon as any problem with the payment occuured so that guy went in loss too(i.e. his time).
    You should take some precautions from next time, use services like escrow.com or similar for any payments above 500$(or w/e you can't afford to lose)

Korrupt, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  5. jo-z

jo-z Peon

Best Answers:
    hey so you lose at the end and did you paid paypal the credit ?

jo-z, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  6. krkbkk

krkbkk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My question,

Isntit against ebay's TOS to finish the ebay item like this and contact the buyer / seller for negotiating the price?!

krkbkk, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  7. Red_Rose

Red_Rose Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah I also Scammed Day before Yesterday ..!!!

Very Bad

Red_Rose, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  8. jo-z

jo-z Peon

Best Answers:
    Really intresting, I called paypal 5 mins ago, and speaking to their australian representative named Angie,

She said that I'm sorry sir you are not covered with our buyer protection program. Because you can't provide any tracking information.

And I keep on arguing with her for 10 minutes, saying its not my responsibility if that person got hacked.

End up finally discovered that, the charge agtaints me has been removed!!! someone actually find out that the guy is fraud!!!

Im feeling like a very lucky man!!

jo-z, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  9. cia

cia Banned

Best Answers:
    Wow..Thats really Wierd..usually seller who got scammed end up in Loss, anway..Congrats bro

cia, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  10. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    cool lucky you are :)

also its nice info thanks for sharing your experience :)

chandan123, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  11. goforhunt

goforhunt Banned

Best Answers:
    No doubts, you have been really lucky in the case, Once I had something similar happened with me, however wasn't meeting in person etc.
    I had a slap of $120
    Good you hear that you've managed to recover.

Lucky Man!

goforhunt, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  12. getjimmy

getjimmy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ya u r lucky,i hardly see seller winning the paypal dispute.

getjimmy, Jul 15, 2008 IP
    chandan123 likes this.
  13. Raining Blood

Raining Blood Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not a paypal user :D but yeah... You are veeeeeeerrry lucky! Congratulation and wish you luck in your biz :):)

Raining Blood, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  14. jo-z

jo-z Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks guys!!

This is a leason learned.

Next time remember always to consider:

- Send via tracking number, or record any shipment proof whatsoever and no more dodgy stuff like meeting the person. This way you are covered with seller protection program from paypal.

- If the person want to meet you make sure you checked his ID and his name and the paypal name is the same.

- Always send them invoice in PayPal, dont let them send you the money.

- Any too good to be true offers from user to end up the auction early have 65% chances of scam.

In my case, maybe I'm lucky I accidentaly take a picture of the IMEI code for the phone, thats unique code only one mobile phone had one, now I really hope that they use the IMEI to CEIR to banned him and catch that sucker.

First I almost given up, because I don't have any tracking number and according to most people seller will ussualy lose. But just keep trying your best to give them as much information as you can. I even told Paypal I already reported the matter to NSW Police Internet Fraud Division

(which is true) the Police department in sydney is very cool, they know what I'm talking about and know about Ebay and PayPal matters. The Police ask me to find any legal disclaimer information on Paypal about this matter and Paypal right to put my account under negative balance. If paypal still forces me to pay the Police will by any means help me to prepare my proof and bring it to Court.

Hope this experience can be usefull to everyone :) .

Cheers

jo-z, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  15. guniwan

guniwan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    guniwan, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  16. bikerbanjara

bikerbanjara Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    hey man, you really are lucky, good that your money is saved, now hoping they can track that sucker through imei

bikerbanjara, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  17. tukarinfobispak

tukarinfobispak Peon

Best Answers:
    Congratulation friend, you're lucky.
    Hope i have luck as yours in my case with paypal.

tukarinfobispak, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  18. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    better call and talk man try to convince them while talking also give dp links

good luck

chandan123, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  19. Pervert-For-Life

Pervert-For-Life Banned

Best Answers:
    i am really sad to hear about your loss.... yes you been scanned by the buyer.... this happens all the time on paypal... paypal is not really a good place to sell products.... when a unauthorized claim is made, there is nothing you can do.... even if you submit the proof of sending the item to the buyer, you will not get the money back nor your item.... you lost both way..... you shouldn't accept fund from others paypal because most of the time these losers play games.... they use there friends paypal to buy things on ebay and later there friends make unauthorized claim... its all setup... they both are involve in the scam..... you just fall into a trap... and so i will suggest you to lay a trap for him. just make a new paypal and ebay name under a different name.... and then give him a bake.. and i am sure he will take it and want to meet you again thinking youre a different person.... and as soon as he meet you in person this time, just wack him good with a metal baseball bat on the spot.... and make him cry to him mommmy.... this is what i would do if a scammer is living close to me... and tech him a good lesson that he wont forget rest of his life... because i would have leave a permenent mark on his body which should remind him what happen when he scam....

anyway next time becareful.... because you cant let these scammers steal your things without paying...

Pervert-For-Life, Jul 16, 2008 IP