1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Most Submissions Are Rejected By DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by frederrick, Nov 8, 2007.

1. pbruessow@msn.com

pbruessow@msn.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anon,
    I submitted some sites in my signature, and probably did more than once since I didn't get a accept or reject notice from DMOZ. How long does it take to get a review for listing or at least an answer that it's been accepted or rejected?

Is the length of time for review real long because of volume of applications? I'm just not sure what's the best way to at least be noticed by DMOZ, or even to know if I'm in their que. The sites I think I submitted were Florida Bass Fishing and South Florida Bass Lakes. What's the normal wait time? Any help is greatly appreciated!;)

pbruessow@msn.com, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The official answer is "several weeks or more" and you'll never get an acceptance or rejection letter. You are not worthy of the editors precious time.

An ODP editor will review your submission to determine whether to include it in the directory. Depending on factors such as the volume of submissions to the particular category, it may take several weeks or more before your submission is reviewed. Please only submit a URL to the Open Directory once. Again, multiple submissions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites. Disguising your submission and submitting the same URL more than once is not permitted.​

Qryztufre, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  3. pbruessow@msn.com

Best Answers:
    Thanks Oryz, It's been so long that I didn't even remember the verbage of the request form. I hope DMOZ takes a look into my sites someday, if not, oh well. I looked at what was listed under my niche, and there's some good ones and some not so good. I guess I may have to shell out $299 to Yahoo since I have no clue where my submission lies with DMOZ, and never had an update from them (even a reject notice). Seems like a reject notice could be an automated thing on their end, like "click reject" and send out a standard e-mail so the editors don't have to spend too much time. I envision some other strong directories will come soon. Thanks again.

4. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess I don't think that any web marketing strategy should rely on inclusion in one directory or another. So my advice you to you would be to do whatever you feel necessary with Yahoo, regardless of what is going on with other directories.

Alucard, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, become an editor and write the software:D

Anonymously, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  6. pbruessow@msn.com

Best Answers:
    Anon,

I'm no programmer and don't purport to be one. I have tinkered in basic, Access, programmed in old engineering language Fortran and even Cobol. I just thought with todays technology, a "reject/accept" button would be a breeze for programmers on the DMOZ staff.

As far as becoming an editor, I really don't think I have the expertise that would be required. I don't have a degree in English or any other language, only in Engineering. As an editor I would think you would need some expertise in Journalism, the languages or education to be effective.

Of course, you are probably being facetious anyhow, but just in case, I responded with my thoughts.

7. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    He wasn't being facetious... a number of editors are less active as editors than as "toolmakers", just a matter of putting thier skills wher ethey count. That said, if becoming an editor required a degree in English or a journalism carrer we'd have a tiny editor base.

Basically the ability to put stuff in the right slot and type legible descriptions is pretty basic. People overcomplicate it sometimes... we aren't all rocket scientists, though oddly we actually did have one of those come edit with us a few years ago at which time I had to track down a different analogy since he really IS one.

Anyway, despite rumors to the contrary I think anyone with reasonably decent command of the language and ability to follow directions should is capable of becoming an editor.

robjones, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  8. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    People want so many things from a voluntary directory that actually costs the owners money and volunteers a vast amount of free time and often don't want to offer their time or don't realise they can offer their time to help. So my answer was pretty much a stock answer, but without asking we miss out on some good editors.

We have highly skilled people and average punters, some work on codes and things which I don't understand the results let alone what they have done. Some have backgrounds from libraries and I wonder how they manage to see every site in a slot and where new slots are. Some of us just enjoy checking sites, being able to write very simple descriptions, well unless you go into the tech categories, and using background knowledge. And much of what I now know I learnt on the job. When I first started I did not even understand how the sub categories worked and wondered what everyone was talking about when they spoke about "cats". For me they were furry things, like the one sat on my knee as I type.

You are fluent enough here you could be an editor. If you go for it read up the thread on here by Crowbar about "being an editor" tells you all you need to know and be honest in your application especially about sites with which you are affiliated and yes you can use your own site as one of the ones required (pick a category with about 50-75 sites in including and sub categories.. But be aware, we all start with a small category that interests us and many of us finish up spending hours editing and hours talking about editing!;)

Anonymously, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  9. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Erm, that's quite a lot more prescriptive than actuality.

Very small categories don't offer enough scope to gain any significant experience. Unless you're confident of finding a lot of new websites for it (because that's the job), I'd suggest you go for something larger than 15 listings.

The application form (which few seem to read) suggests that requests for categories of fewer than 100 listings are more likely to be granted but that isn't a hard and fast limit. Folks who request much larger categories probably aren't paying attention to detail though - a required skill for a good editor :D.

jimnoble, Jan 14, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Ah yes meant that to be 15-75, Jim, miss-type;)

11. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL... I had a couple of typos in mine up there... a little embarrasing given it discusses editors being reasonably skilled in the language.

robjones, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  12. pbruessow@msn.com

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips. I still don't feel comfortable becoming an editor as I don't believe I could give the service which an organization like DMOZ would expect. Not only lacking the language skill set, but also lacking time. I appreciate all the volunteers who are already there and I was just suggesting something that would make things easier for them as well as helping those who submitted sites. Thanks again...;)

pbruessow@msn.com, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    No pressure......but I don't see any problems from your posts about language and we have editors who spend a little time each week or even month keeping up a small category in which they are interested and that does help.

14. hotftuna

hotftuna Active Member

Best Answers:
    "Countless number of submissions is received by DMOZ directory but only perhaps 1% or less meets with DMOZ submission guidelines"

I think charging for review is a better model. It certainly would reduce the amout of junk suggested. I'm sure that honest editors would be happy to receive compensation for reviews. The owner of DMOZ would make a killing.

Most Webmasters/SEO would rather pay if they were given the respect of a fair and timely review.

Win-Win-Win!

hotftuna, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This situation already exists but just not formally. You are right, probably it is better to make it official than this way. ;)

gworld, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  16. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen this idea of charging for submissions but what about those who have no budget but have free sites with great content?

Caesar1, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  17. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes Geocities sites are awesome and provide lots of value!!
    :eek:

joeventura, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    YAHOO offers FREE submissions within its directory and many sites listed there never paid. Especially deep within thier categories.... so the model can and does work.

Some actually are... ;) Sadly though, most of the ones listed are now grossly outdated and spam filled with pop ups and strange sidebars full of ads you can get rid of.

Qryztufre, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  19. Misato

Misato Guest

Best Answers:
    Should becoming an editor a much more easier way to get our sites listed ? Will an affiliation with my employer prevent me of becoming one ?

Misato, Jan 11, 2009 IP
    popotalk likes this.
  20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you get hired by the ODP your "employer" will fire you. :D

popotalk, Jan 11, 2009 IP