1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you have an inner page with your highest PR - but should not?

Discussion in 'SEO' started by NetMidWest, Jan 12, 2008.

Looks like this bug is back - inner pages with higher PR than the home page.

I was looking about trying to figure out why a site dropped PR big but increased backlinks, when I found a problem.

I would like to see a few other sites, if this sounds familiar check your site here:
    http://www.seochat.com/?option=com_...&btnG=+++Search+++&Itemid=38&num=100&filter=0
    then check to see what the backlinks to the highest PR page are... I really am looking for those with pages that are only internally linked... but got a higher PR than the heavily externally linked main page. The PR on that inner page is probably what you expected or previously had on the main page.

A little background:
    October 2005
    February 2006
    January 2007

As you can see, it's an ongoing problem...

NetMidWest, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  2. Meth_

Meth_ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oh my
    I thought one of my sites was like banned from google
    but I guess not

it was PR2 but then the homepage turned to PR0 with this update

so I'm like "wtf?" then I check backlinks, seem fine

then I check another page and it's PR2

so I guess its googles mistake...

Meth_, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  3. Dannyboyonline

Dannyboyonline Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's no mistake, if your internal pages have more quality backlinks (Backlinks with PR sites) than your main page, than those pages would get a better page rank that your home page.

It's a PAGE RANK (It ranks the page), not the SITE.

Dannyboyonline, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  4. Meth_

Meth_ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    page is just the name of the guy who invented it

Meth_, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  5. Meth_

Meth_ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    just take DP threads as example
    this one will prob be PR0
    but if you search for "innerpage with a higher PR than main page"
    and it'll be within the top results (if not now, later, with no PR)

Meth_, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    NetMidWest likes this.
  6. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:

I think I have a site like you are describing. Although I thought the update was not over yet and my homepage was going to "catch up" so to speak...
    I checked my site with that seochat site you linked to and these are my results

And here is a picture of my backlinks in Google Webmaster tools.
    [​IMG]

My homepage is still PR-0
    Some pages in my site that have no backlinks, but PR are
    Here PR-3
    Here PR-3
    Here PR-3
    and Here PR-3

The last link is a page that was accidentally heavily internally linked to. I was doing something in dreamweaver and found a broken link (video_search.htmll instead of video_search.html) when I got dreamweaver to check the whole site for broken links and replace with video_search.html, it changed all of my contact links to the video search link :eek:
    I did not realize until yesterday and have fixed them all.. but that is what I guess accounts for the high PR on this very new page..

So from your experience does the homepage get its PR? Or does it loose it till the next update?

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  7. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    In the past, and I've knocked up a few posts on this, it seems that the rankings and traffic are unharmed; the home page still acts as though it is the focal point of SEO and PR. It usually resolves in the next PR update, but I see signs that there is something else wrong, and would not be surprised by a correction or an update of PR soon.

Yours kind of fits the pattern, but with multiple language indexes, it's not the perfect example.

Dannyboy, having an internal page linked externally can cause this. If you'll re-read the post, you will see that I am describing sites whose highest PR page is an inner page, that is NOT linked externally... and cannot be explained simply by linking structure (James' mistake with the video page also disqualifies him from what I am looking for).

One other marker is that the page with the highest PR is often the most recently created or indexed...

Funny, I have a Google Alert set that sent me this url within 3 hours:
    http //www everythingabout.org/money/?p=7693

NetMidWest, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  8. billybw

billybw Peon

Best Answers:
    Isn't it possible that some pages on the site have been updated but others haven't. Wouldn't that explain the discrepancy>

billybw, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  9. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @NetMidWest

A little history on the site I am commenting on... It's a couple months old, shows just over 300 inbound links to homepage. The internal pages have few, if any, links pointing to them. Most of the backlinks are from free directories and there are no paid links.

I used the tool you posted and here is what I found:

My inner pages with pr 3, all have one inbound link to them. That link is from a deep link directory listing. My homepage, is also linked to in this same deep link listing, but has a PR of 0.

I can't tell much from this except offer some speculation...

1. Google is now penalizing sites for having backlinks from certain sites. That would explain why my homepage has pr 0, because it has the most links to it and has a greater chance of being linked to by an undesireable site.

2. It's possible that the PR update is not completed.

3. It's possible that this PR update has a bug/glitch.

4. It's possible G is not assigning PageRank to the homepages of newer sites as part of its "paid link" campaign. Selling/buying homepage links are popular, so G may want to discount the viewable PR of homepages at least in the short term.

I have another Website that was launched just after the last PR update, so it is a little bit older but with many more backlinks. The same problem applies to it as well. The homepage is a PR 0, while one of the categories is a PR 3. Yet another new site has the same problem. All pages are linked to from the PR 0 homepage. Some of the inner pages are PR 0, PR 2, and PR NR.

All of my new sites that launched after the last PR update have no PR on their homepages, but some PR on internal pages.

Anyone here have a site launched after the last PR update that has received PR on its homepage?

snowbird, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  10. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    All multi language pages on my site were added after the last update, so are relatively new.
    Also some of my pages still show a gray bar or N/A, so I think the PR update is not yet over.

Going by the backlinks that are showing in my webmaster tools, my homepage should get the highest PR.. it is 0.
    the next highest should be index3.html, it is PR-0 (and has a site link in webmaster tools.
    Third highest is the index1.html, it has a PR-2 and also a site link, then there is freebies.html, it has PR-1 and a site link.

french_index3.html has PR-2, german_index3.html has PR-0 and jp_index3.html has a PR-N/A, They are all the same age, all indexed and all younger than index3.html. (PR-0 with all the back links)

I am confused..

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  11. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    That would be true... except on my site, in the last update, I went from PR5 on the homepage to PR4, and the page that now has the highest PR (3) now was grayed in the last update... I am fairly certain that was the last page indexed. It previously held a PR2.

I know this is a PR bug, but my serps dropped a little ahead of the update... this time around, I see no reason I should not have the PR4 on the homepage - perhaps even a 5, since the last update screwed up links and this one shows many more... if this is the same bug, I'd have a 4 somewhere, I am certain.

I really need to look at another good example, and perhaps hear about the serp changes for the site, in order to decide if this is really the same, or if there is a ranking problem associated with it this time... :(

NetMidWest, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  12. enous

enous Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  13. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    enous, did this site have PR on the homepage before? What was it? Did you see a ranking drop a few days ahead of the PR update?

The fact that your hompage got PR0 could be due to a number of factors, I'd still like to see a site that has PR on the homepage, and has a higher unexplained PR on an internal page...

In the past, it has taken some more than a few days to realize it is happening to them...

NetMidWest, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  14. enous

enous Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    HI,
    My site is a new one, and has no PR before. My SERPs ranking are fluctuating, but the trends are UP.

I'm sad for myhome page's PR, and I saw my home page had the most inner links...

enous, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  15. Mr. SoundOff

Mr. SoundOff Peon

Best Answers:
    Same issue as you guys.
    I started a brand new website on October 22, 2007. For one month I only had a "coming soon" home page. About a month later I added 7 more pages.

As of this weekend's PR update, all the pages including the home page are 0-PR, but one of my internal pages was updated to 1-PR. No paid links and all existing backlinks are pointed to the homepage.

I agree that either the update is continuing, or Google added some new algorithm that takes usage data into consideration (if available) because I noticed the one page I did receive PR on is the page that people stay on the longest. This is just conjecture though...

Mr. SoundOff, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  16. Dannyboyonline

Dannyboyonline Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it is, but the system ranks the pages not the domains! How silly can speople be sometimes!

Dannyboyonline, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  17. dairyman

dairyman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is the homepage that generally has the highest PR than the inner pages.

dairyman, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  18. enous

enous Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe that's G's bug..

enous, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  19. kenbrower

kenbrower Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    kenbrower, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  20. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    That seems to be the case - it does not affect serps, but my site dropped a few days ahead of the update... previous experience with the bug says it's unrelated, but after the update prior to the most recent causing some pages to go gray, and some of those pages now showing the highest PR on the site, (down 1 this round, BTW...) I do wonder.

The problem seems to resolve itself after the next update. I worry about what happens if it does not correct itself, or somehow the baseline/starting point is affected...

With 2 bad updates in a row for this site, I think my worry is valid.

NetMidWest, Jan 22, 2008 IP