1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How does suicide bombing square with Islam?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by mcfox, Dec 6, 2007.

1. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Predjudice against suicide bombers? Absolutely!

mcfox, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  2. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    Against muslims.

guru-seo, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  3. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it is prejudice against muslims at all...the OP asked a legitimate question that is prejudice against suicide bombers. are you trying to hijack this thread and turn it around with your own beliefs?

d16man, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  4. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Oh, get real! :mad:

Suicide bombers invariably justify their actions on the basis of their religion. What I don't understand is how this can be so.

mcfox, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  5. Toopac

Toopac Peon

Best Answers:
    If the thread were about America he would be practicing his hypocrisy right now:D

Toopac, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  6. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I think it's a legitimate question, asked in sincerity.

Most of us, I'd like to believe, would like to co-exist. There are questions among people who are not Muslims as to what Islam actually means, given what we have witnessed since the rise of al-qaeda and its offshoots.

I, for one, am sincerely curious about this faith that claims, what, just under 1/4 of the planet as adherents? As a westerner, I was largely ignorant of Islam until 9/11, to my shame, really, as it betrays a myopia endemic, I suppose, to living in a western empire.

Asking questions like these helps us all to better understand the truth, I should think.

northpointaiki, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  7. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Couldn't have put it any better.

I was always under the mistaken belief that there was some sort of get-out-of-jail-free card when it came to suicide bombings and Islam - that buried somewhere within the faith was a verse or a doctrine that somehow allowed this type of action, however, having read the responses in the other thread I came to realise that this was not the case, which is what prompted my question.

mcfox, Dec 6, 2007 IP
    d16man likes this.
  8. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its so nice to know that people in here have this opinion...I totally agree...however, we can see that not everyone in this thread thinks this way...what a shame.

d16man, Dec 6, 2007 IP
    mcfox likes this.
  9. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    If you where to listen to yourself you will hear that you have been watching too much TV and been conditioned to think a certain way. First you need to be deprogrammed and then will you be able to look at these complex issues with an opened mind. You see without you even realizing you are already spreading prejudice in an unintentional manner. Though you think innocently that you are raising a sincere question what you are doing is stereotyping a hole people by associating the Muslims and Suicide bombers. First you need to look at where suicide bombing began, who, why and what for and only then should you maybe rephrase your question and associate it with Muslims as a whole.

guru-seo, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  10. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think your post needs to be directed back at you....please stop hijacking the threads with your anger.

d16man, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  11. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Sorry, Guru-Seo, tautological gobbledygook, in my opinion. If you start with a preconceived notion that anyone asking this question is necessarily "programmed," then you must of course presume prejudice in anyone asking the question.

I'll give you an example. I admit my ignorance of muslims and of Islam, prior to 9/11. Working on the 82nd Floor of the Sears Tower, with a wife and child at home, I took 9/11 quite personally and my first reaction was a very poor one of prejudicial rage. I have come a long way since then to seek bridge-building and common understanding. It's my sincere desire that the entire globe lives in peace. Towards that goal, from one who is not Muslim, a free hand in asking "What is Islam?" is a legitimate and, I would say, basic first step.

12. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    While you at it asking all this questions I would urge you to start asking the question, who is the United States Government?

guru-seo, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  13. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I do, all the time. I also ask a lot of other legitimate questions. But that there are a plethora of legitimate questions doesn't impact on the legitimacy of the question that is the subject of this thread.

I'd suggest you consider engaging with points other than platitudes or your own pre-conceived notions, if you truly want an insightful exchange.

14. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Actually quite the contrary - I'm trying to disassociate what I believe to be true Muslims from suicide bombers.

Isn't it true that the majority of suicide bombers claim to be Muslims on 'martyrdom missions'?

mcfox, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  15. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    Isn't there Americans occupying Iraq right now killing innocent people in the name of "freedom"? How's that any different. One uses sophisticard weaponry for their killing objective the other side uses primitive ways to just the same. Just being the devils' advocate here. Violence is not the answer. More violence breeds more violence whether it be one side or the other.

guru-seo, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  16. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    The question is not a question by reference to another question. If you have a question over American policy, have you thought about creating another thread asking about it, rather than attempting to divert the question at hand?

You begin by saying McFox is necessarily a bigot because he is asking the question. Now you are in essence avoiding a discussion on question A by saying "well, B is just as bad!"

Doing this never resolves anything. It creates an endless loop of obfuscations on both sides.

A question asked merits discussion on its substantive inquiry.

17. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    I can draw answers to questions with other questions that have obvious answers all day long. It works for me as it creates obvious answers and invoke ANALYTICAL THINKING.
    If you have a problem with that it's not my problem. We all have different styles of debating. Please respect mine.

guru-seo, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  18. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I love analytical thinking. Ever think of starting with the question at hand?

Let me give an example, the literal first subject that pops into my head as I write this.

A summer meadow, with a warm wind blowing grasses down to a soft mat; the tenor cacophony of cicadas.

Question: why would something like this come up?

The answer might be helpfully related to the subject at hand. Or, one might say,

"Did anybody see The Office last night? I did, and it really sucked." and in further answer, might say, "it relates - because both were in my head."

But we get no further on the question at hand. You are of course free to do whatever you would wish to do, and that includes the free association of your mind that you apparently wish us all to participate in:

You ask for respect for the manner of your debate but come out with both barrels blasting an unsupported platitude, naming anyone who raised the question McFox raised as an islamophobe, by definition. Doing so, you shouldn't expect that, too, to remain unquestioned.

Now, just curious, but did you have any thoughts related to McFox's question?

19. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Let's just be clear. Do I think the war in Iraq is right? No. Never have.

My question is about suicide bombing and how it can be 'justified' on the basis of a religion that expressly forbids suicide.

mcfox, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  20. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    It is NOT JUSTIFIED by Muslims, those who justify it are using the religion as a scape goat to convince some to blow themselves up. Now because the establishment (mostly Christian right) want you to think and believe that is for obvious reasons. You are convinced that it is the Muslim religion that justifies these actions when in turn it has been proven time after time that AGAIN they (being a group that resort to violence) are using religion as a tool to attain a specific goal.

guru-seo, Dec 6, 2007 IP