1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DP Writing absolute crap?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Taler, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci

Traci Peon

Best Answers:
    "You get what you pay for" in the writing industry is write. There may be a rare occasion where you get decent work for cheap, but that doesn't happen often. I have a set amount that I charge and won't go below it, no matter what. It took me a while to make myself stick to that, but it hasn't caused me to quit yet. My work load has increased along with my pricing.

Traci, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  2. Remotay

Remotay Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Haha. Look at the rates here. Offer a GOOD amount AND Post that you're looking for quality work, and that You pay after completion. if the article is crap, They don't get paid. You'll scare away all the crappy writers that way.

Remotay, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  3. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Sorry I have only read the first 2 pages here but these are words of wisdom. Especially today when it seems there is a huge demand (more now than ever) for expert content.

I personally write in my field as a confident expert. Then when I attempt to write in fields that I am not an expert in it takes me 10 times as long because I need to do allot of research.

Today I think we are seeing the search engines weeding out the "wanna be" writers.

It is an art to be able to write for people and the search engine of today. It is very difficult to please both, but it can be done. In my opinion you need to pay for that type of service what the writer wants. Any author that is a good writer with a reputation backing it up should make the money they deserve. Any writer that under-cuts the industry standard is doing nothing but cutting their nose off despite their face.

There is a big buzz in the air now for truly unique and expert content. If you can fill that need don't sell yourself short, quote your price and don't quiver. You are in demand :)!

Homer, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  4. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    Or you scare off the good writers who don't want to risk spending their time doing work that they might not get paid for. That method only works if you've got a good reputation for actually paying for good work.

davewashere, Nov 8, 2007 IP
    latoya likes this.
  5. The Emirates Gallastico

The Emirates Gallastico Banned

Best Answers:
    Aye. Can't see any half decent writer willing to work upon completion of the project... :rolleyes:

6. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    I never write anything before securing AT LEAST a 50% deposit up front. The remainder is then paid upon completion.

Do you know how easily a buyer can say "Oh, this article is crappy" even when it's not? That's why I secure a deposit up front.

DeniseJ, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  7. AdJumpCM

AdJumpCM Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't even deliver without full payment. I take 50% upon contract, and then the rest once I've finished. When the client has sent the rest of the money THEN I send their content. Sorry, but too many people are just in it for cheap crap, and if that means ripping me off, so be it.

AdJumpCM, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  8. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    I have yet to be burned with my method - but I only work with reputable clients I KNOW have a history of paying in full and on time.

DeniseJ, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  9. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    I do a 50-100% down arrangement, too. It works out well for both the client and myself. Some clients argue that they have been burned before and don't want to pay upfront, but we usually work it out to where we are both comfortable with an arrangement.

Fortunately, those who pay professional rates tend to be professional themselves so most actually pay upfront without hesitation. That's simply the way most business on the internet is conducted - at least at the higher end of the spectrum. :)

internetauthor, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  10. Foggy

Foggy Link and Site Buyer

Best Answers:
    I have several more than "half-decent" writers who get paid 100% at the end of the project. In fact, all my writers get paid only at the end.

With respect, it isn't. Most professional publications don't pay up front. They pay "in arrears". Have you written for any of the big magazines/newspapers?

The reason I pay my writers in arrears is just convenience. Having different schedules for different writers just causes too much of confusion. I have never turned down a piece of work and refused to pay for it. At most, I'd make payment, express my dissatisfaction and keep reducing work to those who aren't bothering to maintain quality. That's why I have over 50 regular writers on my books - many of them are here in DP - all of whom would vouch for this system working!

As a plug, my thread looking for writers is here

Foggy, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  11. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    It's wonderful your system is working for you.

With regard to the general statement on payments upfront, I wasn't speaking just of writing, but of e-commerce in general. You pay for software upfront, you pay for scripts up front, you pay for ebooks upfront, you pay a deposit or retainer for programmers and SEO professionals, and many webmasters have no problem paying for articles or website content upfront as well.

Yes publications pay after printing or acceptance (depends on the publication), but when retaining a service, traditionally at least a portion of the projected rate or a retainer is paid upfront. (While there are many wonderful ezine and traditional print sources with applicable websites, I don't necessarily consider those "webmasters.")

Rebecca

internetauthor, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  12. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's the difference between writing for a larger company with a reputation and an individual without one. When writers take on jobs, they must assess the risk of not getting paid. Larger newspapers and magazines present less non-payment risk than someone on the internet.

If I don't know you from Jack Sprat and have no way of ensuring you'll pay me on time, then I'm going to ask for a "good faith" deposit on the work. If you really want me to work for you, then you'll pay it.

latoya, Nov 9, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  13. Foggy

Foggy Link and Site Buyer

Best Answers:
    I don't think it "depends on the publication". Is there any big mag or newspaper that pays you in advance?

I do accept that there are some content buyers there who do not pay and it's better to proceed cautiously when you're dealing with an individual whose reputation you can't verify.

However, when dealing with someone like me who can provide regular work, it's best to play it by ear rather than by principle. Do some basic checks on the person, start with a few small jobs and take payment after each one, build a rapport. If I were a writer I'd consider it better to have a pay-later relationship with someone who provides regular work than to deal with a different new publisher every day where you have that lovey-dovey pay-me-in-advance-you-crook type of deal.

Horses, courses etc.

Foggy, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  14. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL - I said upon printing or acceptance, not in advance. A magazine may accept an article months before printing if it is bumped to another issue, etc...

Again, magazines aren't individual webmasters, which was the crux of my argument....

internetauthor, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  15. nycopywriter

nycopywriter Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Monte,

I'm fairly new to this site and just saw your post. I usually sell my articles for $15/piece elsewhere. Are you willing to share the name of that site or any other?

Thanks!

nycopywriter, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  16. PastaBoy

PastaBoy Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't have much experience about DP, but it has happened with me that when I was NOT too happy with the quality of the article & refused to pay the guy, he gave me a negative iTrader in return. Guys working for cheap are bit impatient too, that's what MY experience says.

PastaBoy, Mar 19, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.