1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Links - Are they valuable?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by goravani, Oct 20, 2007.

1. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    BTW Q... Regarding your assertion that yours aren't getting any Dmoz juice despite the fact that you listed one while there and the other is in a homepages cat... bear in mind the last time you asked me something about one of your sites I'd already tried to look the day prior and got a 404 error multiple times. Given such statements as...
    .. just wanted to allay your concerns... I made sure there weren't any dead links in the cat that day. Fortunately as you've told us here you don't think the links have any value anyway, I'm sure you'd have followed the guidelines, just as I did.

On the bright side if it's back up it'll offer a minor test of your hypothesis. It was PR3 the last time I heard. If your premise is correct it'll stay there as Google updates, unless the juice is limited to getting it seen initially, in which case (ceteris paribus) it should stay static. If PR drops, your theory simply fails to match reality.

robjones, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well, it's nice that you have an interest into the occult, and that you care enough about the directory to keep an eye out for troubled sites. While my host maintains a pretty good record of a 99.5% uptime, I'm sure you are proud of the fact that you hang out enough to find that .5% so you can de-list the sites owned by people you dislike.

That really does shed some pretty good light on you, and the directory in general.

Thanks for making DMOZ the site that it is today!

OH, I see. It was not about the few minutes of downtime, it was about me talking bad about the directory. I see that my delisting was a personal matter now, so I guess re-submitting would do no good.

Qryztufre, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  3. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You chastise us frequently about dead links... you tell me to look at it, did you think I'd leave it there with a 404 error?
    The only reason it was there is because you became an editor, added it personally, and then bailed out...
    NOW you tell others the links have no value. Odd.

If they have no value this really shouldn't be an issue, but guidelines didn't leave a lotta choice when I found a dead link there.

4. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Yes, and now stand by yours. Delist DMOZ for being down for 5 months. You removed my link because it had a few minutes down time, it's the least ya could do to a site that was down as long as the ODP was...

I know, I know, I should have stayed like Skrenta and held out till I had 10,000++ listings like he got with TOPIX...and you call me self serving :rolleyes:

Never mind that I left for personal reasons (the same reasons you left I might add).

5. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. You just can't make up your mind.

• You criticize us for dead links in the directory
    • You criticize me for removing a dead link.
    • You are in this thread specifically to convince people a dmoz link is worthless.
    • You act incensed because your site lost a dmoz link.
    Here's a thought... read your own posts before you write the next one, maybe they'll make more sense.
    I'm done, but as usual please feel free to continue arguing both sides yourself. :rolleyes:

6. gotlinks

gotlinks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    YES! A site having a dmoz link will rank fast and well with no other links! :D

gotlinks, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    You just can't make up your mind.
    • You call me self serving for listing my own sites
    • You don't seem to mind there are thousands of links for another editor
    • You de-list my site for having a few moments of down time
    • You don't seem to mind that DMOZ was down for months
    • You don't seem to mind the CNN category with thousands of broken and redirected links. (or that CNN has 10,000+ links as well)
    I don't know, it really seems to me that you are more bothered by my listing a site in accordance with the guidelines, then you are about making the directory a better place. And no, I am not all that upset over my site being removed, however, the reasons for it's removal do seem to bother me...

If it was self serving to list my own site, then what does that make you for removing it?

Now with editors sitting around waiting for sites to go down of people they don't like, what do you think people will start saying about the place? What kind of "value" do your actions bring to the directory and it's end users?

8. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Delisting ex-editor links is lighting fast and since nobody will ever visit that category ever again there is zero chance of someone restoring it.

Ivan Bajlo, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I can see that.

I did submit an abuse report on it, to which I got a reply pretty much saying what you have said.

Yes, it's all about the end user, and there is no self-serving nature what-so-ever.

It should be clear to all that see this thread, just what 'value' the directory holds...and then they wonder why the public opinion of them is waning.

10. rojar123

rojar123 Peon

Best Answers:
    i have been observing that sites which get backlink from DMOZ, get a really good PR, which is pretty good:)

rojar123, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  11. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ivan... must be some slow lightning:
    http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=vojska.net
    You're an ex-ed, we've argued plenty, yet your site is obviously there multiple times. Facts don't bear up the claim.

As for Q's situation, all I did was follow protocol. Much as he gripes about our dead links you'd think he'd approve of me pulling a 404 on sight.

He's destroyed his argument about dmoz links not being worth the bother. Obviously even HE doesnt believe his own BS.

12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Following protocol is only a good thing when it suits your wants & needs?

I listed my own site, within the guidelines of the ODP, yet you call me self serving?

Shall I get into how you admit its within protocol to accept money for listings as long as it's good for the SEO professional/editor and the directory? (Yes people, find the right SEO expert, and pay for a listing ~ the guidelines approve)

I already brought up Skrenta. Mind telling us all how he is within the guidelines having over 10,000 listings from a single site? Or how CNN has over 10,000 of which hundreds are dead all of which do nothing but bloat the overall listings statistics?

Yet it was my site, someone you do not like, that gets removed...and for what? 10 maybe 15 minutes of down time? yeah, why don't you log out of here and finish up cleaning the CNN archives if you are that interested in 404ed sites.

So yeah, I want you to remove them, but do it with some dignity, not just because you got something against someone. Explain how removing my site was "good" for the end user you supposedly serve. If DMOZ has value, you got a funny way to showing it's worth.

So congrats on being it's spokesmen. Your actions say a lot!

13. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    There use to be 11 links until Quality Control Robot decided to pick on me - interesting bot since it managed to avoid most junk links and I'm not referring to Vojska.net but to Calradia.com which once I bought it got delisted in seconds after I publicly declared I own it now, although I made almost no changes to primary websites - only subdomains got lost since previous hosting expired but subdomains weren't even delisted by overzealous editor who removed www.calradia.com but didn't check without www - annie did those once I pointed it out - no need to mention that overzealous editor didn't even bother to list websites sitting in that category for months and only crime these website are guilty is that I submitted them instead of their owners. :(

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=426105
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=300788

P.S.
    Maybe if I submit my competitors some overzealous editor will figure out that these websites must be of some of my friends and put them them on black list. :p

14. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL - Ivan, I have one site and it's in the directory once, you have one and it's in 8 or 9 times. If I say I feel your pain about the ones you don't have, just don't check to see if I do it with a straight face. :)

If as you suggest 2 more listings of the same site got yanked by a linkschecker bot, it's kinda hard to complain, we do tell it to do that so we don't have complaints about dead links.

Don't know anything about the other site, but the topic isn't status checks... just about whether the links being there help the site.

So from an SEO standpoint, would you agree having the sites in Dmoz is a good thing?

15. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    but does teh Dmoz consider about your ranking as well? i mean will they consider it from your keyword ranking in google or they just check from your content and add it on their directory?

tradeya, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  16. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Links weren't dead but got 301 redirect and I thought DMOZ biggest concern is to help average surfer find content he/she is looking for - considering my website is content based out of which huge part is unique and cannot be found anywhere else on the internet I would dare to say my few listings are worth much more then all Topix put together. :p

But we already reached conclusion that DMOZ editor forgot about their mission long time ago and care only about themselves. :rolleyes:

17. Remotay

Remotay Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seems like some categories are significantly easier to get into than others... LAZY EDITORS! xD

Remotay, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Careful, you can get a site removed for such words ;) Just hope you don't have a moments downtime, they will send word and your site will be placed back in the queue till the end of days. But don't take my word for it, I'm not an editor scroll up and see for yourself.

19. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have 3 websites, 200 pages

But no luck with DMOZ

They don't respond.

gauharjk, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    guerilla likes this.