1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Welcome to DP - Read This Thread To Learn The Rules, How This Forum Runs and More!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rochow, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi,

Firstly, welcome to DP. We are one of the biggest webmaster communities online :)

This thread was created to help out you "newbies". It contains rules, how to post, infractions, iTrader, rep (lost you yet? :p) and various other things. It's recommended you read all of this post because it is well worth it and you will learn so much!

Rules
    As like the real world, there are rules. These rules are in place to make the forum run smoothly.

Here are some of the basic rules:
    You can read all the rules here. In summary: just be nice and don't spam! Follow those 2 and you won't break any rules - promise!

Infractions
    There is an old saying, "don't fix what isn't broken". Infractions have been covered so well by ViciousSummer it was best to put it in here.

You can see the full thread here

iTrader
    This is similar to feedback on eBay. After you do a deal with someone, you leave an iTrader - positive or negative. In time, it becomes easy to see who is trustworthy and who "isn't".

The best thread to learn all about how to see someone's iTrader, how to give iTrader and how to get iTrader is here

See those green blocks next to the msn icon, my location etc? Those little blocks are whats known as reputation. The more of these the user has the better 'reputation' they have. People can give other people reputation in two forms, bad rep and good rep.

I made a post about how to get reputation, which I encourage everyone to put into practice. It works - the more you give, the more you will recieve!:
    To learn all about reptutation, how to get reputation, how to give reputation, and how to see how much reputation check this thread out

How to Post
    What you are reading right now is a post. Posts are contained inside threads. Threads are a basically a particular topic (for example, this thread contains information for new members) and people post information and thoughts in threads.

To read all about posting, go here as its got loads of great info

Signature Links
    You can add up to 4 links in your signature. However, you must be a member for at least 7 days and have 10 posts. This is not because we are nazi's, it's to stop people coming to DP and only posting to get some links to their site.

Once you are able to have a signature, you can add it by going into User CP from the menu and going edit signature. You can add up to 4 links, have 4 smiley dudes and can pick whatever sweet colours you like.

This is great because you get lots of backlinks to your site (especially when you get 1000's of posts!)

How to become successful at webmastering
    This is not covered in any rule book, guidebook or any other thread. In this section I am speaking from my experience and my heart.

Do not scam, ripoff or lie to anyone. You may get away with it once or twice, but when you are caught you will lose alot of credibility.

Learn. Always learn know stuff - for example, learn not to buy those silly ebooks which you can apparently learn stuff from as 9/10 times you won't.

Focus on one, two or three big sites, not lots of smaller ones. You can do well with lots of smaller sites, however it is a lot harder. Pick a couple of industries which will be here for the long term, not just the current fad. Personally I am creating a directory, a wordpress theme site, and my own personal website which will have tutorials on coding, design, photoshop etc.

Be nice. Try not to piss many people off, especially if its racist or discrimatory. What goes around comes around, so be wise in making sure you get back the results you want. A great example is of a couple of days ago, I released a wordpress theme and there was a slight problem with the coding (I bought it already coded off someone else). Even though it wasn't my fault, and it took only a day to get it fixed, I still gave them sponsorship on another theme free of charge. Yes, this cost me nearly $100 and wasn't necessary, but it goes to show that I care for my clients and hopefully will bring back repeat business as they know I will look out for them and do good by them.

Give rep. I give out reputation to people who help out others. So many times I have seen someone who always helps but still has 1 bar of rep. I know this personally when I have spent hours doing work (such as creating free logos or writing this thread) and half the people don't even say thanks, give rep, acknowledge or anything. Yes, that's life. But after a while some people will feel like they are wasting their time helping and will stop. So, next time, stop and take 10 seconds to write "thank you", add a genuine compliment, and give them some green for their troubles. I personally leave my name at the end of all rep I give (both green and red). At the end of the day, people will appreciate it.

That's all I could think of, and looking at the clock wow it's 10.30pm I guess I better go have dinner lol (also, keep track of time .. its easy to spend hours writing a thread or post like this one and loss track of time!)

Welcome and enjoy your stay at DP :)

Feel free to send me a PM or ask here in the thread if you have any questions or would like help with anything.

- Matt

rochow, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  2. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    a must read.....a big thumbs up...rochow gets right to the point in this action packed synopsis of what will keep you an active member here at Digital Point.

being banned sucks.

this rates a sticky.:D

sawz, Jun 20, 2007 IP
    BlueOrchard likes this.
  3. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Where you banned for a while?

rochow, Jun 20, 2007 IP
    sawz and BlueOrchard like this.
  4. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yeah, i caught a 2 week ban not too long ago. when i got back i was posting as Banned for about 5 days. i had bumped a thread, posted the same thing twice, being a pain in the ass, the usual things that get you bounced for a short period of time. :p

sawz, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  5. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lol :p

Main thing is your back, it would suck to be banned.

EDIT: htmlindex looks like he is banned. I swear he wasn't 5 minutes ago when I last posted!

rochow, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  6. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i noticed he was banned when i first came to this thread.

sawz, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  7. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh ok lol :)

rochow, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  8. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yeah, it don't take a lot to get banned, reading and abiding by the rules will keep you active!!

sawz, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  9. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah nice post - shame I've never read it before - I've been around for a while and it might've helped stop me pee people off ;)

Cheers, p.

pondlife, Jun 29, 2007 IP
    BlueOrchard likes this.
  10. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah it's handy, that's why I wrote it.

Hopefully it gets bumped occasionally enough so people get to read it.

rochow, Jun 30, 2007 IP
    Gamergirl likes this.
  11. anions

anions Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the great post. Your take on reps drives the point home. I believe in spreading green around too :)

anions, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  12. DeViAnThans3

DeViAnThans3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Very useful post. I hope newbies will actually take the time to read this through, as it is very important, but many "forget" to do so. And when they get an infraction, they go complainting "didnt deserve an infraction" ... ;)

A greenie to you! :D

DeViAnThans3, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  13. RoyalSeo

RoyalSeo Peon

Best Answers:
    A *must know* for every member.
    Thank You,
    RoyalSeo

RoyalSeo, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  14. sb225

sb225 Banned

Best Answers:
    yeah me too readed whole post as i dont know more rules but this is very helpful and here we can keep affilitate links in signatures

sb225, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  15. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks hope it helps :)

If I had a dollar for every grey rep I got - I'd be a millionaire :D Nah, it's good to know though that people are nice enough to post thanks or leave a rep (even though it doesn't count in the intro section)

Encouragement to be helpful!

rochow, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  16. kgrad

kgrad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great Post! Will definitely help a lot of people. :) Rep+ to you. :)

kgrad, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  17. digidiva07

digidiva07 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. Great host intro. Hope to comply with everything.

digidiva07, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  18. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    and if everyone adhered to these rules, no one would get banned. but there are always a few people.....

sawz, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  19. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    what i am doing right now is a good example of what not to do so you don't get an infraction. its called bumping a thread. :D

sawz, Aug 9, 2007 IP
    rochow likes this.
  20. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ditto :) :D

rochow, Aug 9, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.