1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phplynx - A very SE friendly directory script...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by vito, Apr 9, 2007.

1. vito

vito Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, this place can be a real zoo, huh?

I joined "another" forum in 2002. I joined when it had a mere 9000 members and for several years, it was a pure joy to participate in the community. Helpful contributions, courteous exchange between members, a really nice place to visit daily. Unfortunately, when it hit 100,000 members, the "bad" element started to infiltrate. Threads routinely turned into flame wars, and the forum eventually morphed into a battlefield rather than a helpful community. Long standing (quality) members quickly lost patience and left. Now, with membership at over 160,000 members, it is saturated with flames, accusations, cat fights, infantile arguments. What a shame. I had enough about a year ago and threw in the towel. A real shame. I miss the old community. And for the record, IMO, the reason the forum took a dive was due to the age group that started registering. "Young" (13-17 year olds) who had NO business trying to run "businesses" online".

I see the same thing happening to DP. At 66,000+ members, it is already littered with inflammatory, gratuitous and unfounded accusation posts. What a f***ing shame. This community has so much to offer, and has the potential of developing into a very large forum with plenty of quality members. Instead, the owners/mods seem to turn a blind eye to all of the crap that goes on every day. Unbelievable.They seem to have no problem allowing legitimate threads (like this one) to be utterly trashed at the hands of the daily houligans with no legitimacy. I understand the concept of "free speech" and all that, but honestly, is there no moderation at all in this forum? :confused:

Anyways, aside from all of that, many of you should be really ashamed of your behavior in this thread. I happen to be a very honest and hard working individual who puts a great deal of importance on personal integrity. In the short 7 years I've been involved on the Net, I have managed to develop a very good reputation above reproach in several industries. (Just google my name - Vito Ceniti - and you will see for yourself). Yet, I join this DP forum, and I find myself (inexplicably) in the midst of a flame war, with my personal integrity being questioned by casual bystanders. Incredibly disturbing and offensive. And to make matters worse, the accusations are unfounded. And who are the proponents of these attacks? People who do not know me, people who do not have all the facts, people who just jump on the bashing bandwagon for the ride.

I will tell you one thing, folks. You are lucky that you are earning your living online. You have the benefit of (relative) anonymity, and you can sniper-attack from your cowardly shelters without repurcussions. What a luxury for small minded children. Let me say, unequivocally, that if you acted this way at "ground level brick and mortar", in the "real world", you wouldn't last 2 seconds. You'd be summarily put in your place by the "legitimate" members of the business community. The sad part of the Internet is that it allows a 13 year old child (who has NO place in the business world) to butt heads with a seasoned 40 year old business man (with 20 years of REAL experience). I've seen it happen countless times and it makes me sick. It's just too easy for some child to (unfairly) publicly attack a legitimate business owner from the anonymity of their bedroom computer. Sickening. Would that there was some accountability on the Net. But that is a pipe dream...

You can trash this post all you like. Apparently, given the (lax) DP moderation, you are free to do so. If it makes you feel vindicated, have at it. All I can say is that I am truly disappointed at the mob mentality that so many of you appear to so readily adopt. It shows a true lack of character. You might feel that you are getting your (temporary) jollies by trashing me in this thread. You feel good after posting some "clever" reply? Temporary gratification (at your expense). But in the end, you are the eventual loser. I know what my character is made of. And your senseless retaliation will never diminish it.

All I can do at this point is feel sorry for you. Nothing I say will change your behavior today. But one day, you will look back and wonder "what the hell you were doing"...

Good luck in your respective lives.

Oh, and for the record, I disagree with Kevin's overall approach to promoting his script. He is someone who is extremely passionate about his product, and I can appreciate that. However, I have told him in no uncertain terms (in PM, AIM, etc) that he needs to lay off and let the script "sell itself". Overly promoting the product will just set him up for criticism. Which is a shame, because the product is very high quality, and his overzealous marketing approach ends up cheapening the product. All I can do is give him my opinion. What he does after that is his business. Again, I have no vested interest in phplynx. Not an investor, not a forum moderator, not a part owner. I am simply a user who appreciates the quality of the product. Period. (And I am also a phpld user, and will continue to do so).

Vito

vito, Apr 10, 2007 IP
    cantufind likes this.
  2. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

malcolm1, Apr 10, 2007 IP
    podman likes this.
  3. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    I just love those [​IMG]

paidhosting, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  4. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    What took you so long to reply?
    Called mum and asked for help?

Regarding the red rep, see it as a sign of our friendship ;)

If you're here to argue, than fine, create another thread, but what I think is really low, is hijacking Vito's thread.

WatchOut, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For those who you who don't know the difference...

Vito gave his opinion.

And the response to his opinion has been the slander.

(definitions directly quoted from dictionary.com)

I guess too this thread has suggested the need for some new rules about posting in the Digital Point Forum Directories Section...

1. No script owners/developers may post an opinion or comment about their product and they will by lynched if they mention someone else's script.
    2. No moderators of a script's forum may post an opinion or comment about that script or any other script - and they certainly may not compare that script to any other script; otherwise they are dirty gamers trying to link bait, market their script, or committing slander.
    3. No "senior members" of a script's forum may post an opinion or comment about that script or any other script - and they certainly may not compare that script to any other script; otherwise they will be slandered and accused of being plants, the script owner in disguise, or are also committing slander.

I like the rules. Since that would eliminate everyone in this conversation - DP could become civilized again.

YMC, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  6. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dear Vito,

since you are so professional in what you do and 13 year old kids should not be allowed in business because we ruin your reputation.

Let me tell you something my friend... I am 16 years old. Ok. Now go research my name (Syed Balkhi) in google and you will see the amount of results.

You have to get the reputation ... 20 year experienced business man ... (You surely doesn't sound like that). Yeah i admit i m a newbie ... man but my name is more popular than yours ???

lmao dude take a chill pill ... you are accusing dp for lack of moderation and saying its a peice of trash just like that anonymous forum you mentioned .. [than leave if you dont like it here]. No one asked you to stay ... you are staying here of your own choice so stop complaining like a baby because i am sure you dont want to act like me right *cough* *cough*. You are the big boy. Sorry my bad mommy's big boy. Go Go .. she is calling you.

No one said that 16 year old are dumber / unprofessional / unskilled / inferior than a 40 year old businessman. What you learned in 20 yrs of ur experience is possible that i learned in 4 years ... who knows ...

that day is your downfall when you start thinking others as inferior. Which you just did saying that young people are inferior.

Yet again, my point proven you talked to Kev. over aim / pms ... and this thread can more likely than not be a scheme. (well i m not concerned about that).

Since we are loosers ... why are you still with us ... because if you talk to us you will be that way too.

See you later ...

and as an0n aka. Rob says

----------------------------------------------------> Door that way

smub, Apr 10, 2007 IP
    discover likes this.
  7. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    As an observer of this thread

Vito posted his opinion about a script that isn't so popular here in DP and it is his right to do so and it is your right to ignore his post or not. The same way you are accusing him of spreading phplynx propaganda he can accuse you that you are just protecting your interests by defending phpld since you have spend time and effort to create free templates etc. Even more, since he doesn't have any obvious gains by promoting phplynx.

You may not like the owner of the script but that is no reason to attack a satisfied user.

dkessaris, Apr 10, 2007 IP
    1 person likes this.
  8. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well lets close this thread once and for all, phpld is better, maybe if someone really took the time to compare both, I could/might change my mind.

SasaVtec, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  9. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's not about Vito's opinion, he's more than welcome to it. But he jump in on a topic he doesn't know much about and as I said before he went into the lions den and he's a heina, which means, he had a hidden agenda, he's claiming that he does not have any but a pure opinion on his experience with the said script.

The topic is a duplicate, the first orginated at the phplynx forum and he felt he need to spread-out his findings specially after Kevin said that they could use more support, then this thread was created in showing for support to that script. Well he got a feedback from that view. Watch a Hiana walk into a Lions den and see what happens.

Vito could have said it in a manner that would not offend anyone, but he felt that he was ready, he knew this was going to happen. He has over 100 post at the phplynx and had been told that the members here like to attack when ever the phplynx is mentioned (not true).

wwws, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I first gave the comment Dimitris. Based upon his OP and or his intentions. If he was announcing . Please go to the Solicitation and Announcement Thread. If he was looking for a click I did clicked his site.
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=2773386&postcount=1
    My answer
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=2773403&postcount=2

We had that debate with Cantufind already. We were looking for proof and support for the script and heres another one.

I am not an avid fan of PHpld but I'm using it. I also use Site Sift and IndexScript.

popotalk, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  11. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    The point is that noone has actually posted why he has a hidden agenda and to be honest I don't believe he has one. Also, noone posted any real arguments why his claims are false in order to have a meaningful discussion especially in a topic that hasn't be discussed much such as how a directory script or template can be optimised for the SEs (content hierarchy, use of h tags, use of titles, permalink structure, inner linking, metatags etc)

Edit to add: I don't know Vito and it's the first time I see him posting and obviously I have no reason to defend him, all I am saying is that this is an excellent topic that hasn't been discussed much (if at all) and we are wasting with attacks and flames.

dkessaris, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  12. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm glad you think it's all done in an honest way and no agenda has played in part, I will guarantee that they will come up with yet another one of this type of threads that "they" are so commonly good at. Causing havoc within the community.

If you've missed those threads, here or the other forums, fine. But I will say this that they will find another way of doing this type of free advertisement to get new users to use their products. Vito may or may not be involve, but regardless he has fallen for their ways and he's integrity is being evaluated, atleast by me anyways.

wwws, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  13. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I must say I agree with you...

xc06, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  14. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    To tell you the truth I took second look at that script because of this thread. Before I was interested in it but saw a thread when someone offered to make templates for phplynx and everything went to flame war and lost interest. Today I went and looked at it again and lost interest again.....you have to register on forum to download I guess and website is not finished yet and I could not click anywhere...where I could click there was 404....SO no fcking download ????
    Why should I bother when I know for phpld and indexscript ( 2 that I like ) I am asking myself....well they almost got me 2 times....for sure there will be no third time I assure you :D

iatbm, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Amen. Its the second attempt. I hope the third would be as NORMAL as it should be with support, download and a list of templates to choose from. Though they are very passionate they lack the necessary things.

popotalk, Apr 10, 2007 IP
    1 person likes this.
  16. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You mention free advertising, in many ways isn't that what all of us our doing. Every post, every signature, every action we take on a forum could be construed as advertising. Why do so many have the feed to their blogs in their avatars if not for adversiting their blog?

Please tell me how monthly threads like, "phpLD Directory of the Month" is anything other than advertising.

This forum is littered with folks who are promoting one product or another; I just find it hypocritical to question anyone who says anything positive about one script when other script owners and their faithful do the same thing.

YMC, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  17. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PHP Site of the month (sure it is advertisement)

but it is a contest which is held every month.... No one stopped lynx from doing it. They just choose not to do so. thats all.

signature advertisements are allowed but posting and posting abt ur site is not .... and especially asking other ppl to post for the site is not allowed !!

smub, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  18. saadahmed007

saadahmed007 Admínistratör

Best Answers:
    I agree with you here..If i create thread about phpld being Seo friendly i am sure i will get replies like this
    *Yeah, it is seo friendly etc*
    Guys, Chill...He just posted his personal experience with PHPLynx script..
    Saad

saadahmed007, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  19. mywebsearches

mywebsearches Peon

Best Answers:
    O.K. my turn-

We are making history and I want to be part of it,

so let's keep going with this thread.

Who's next?

mywebsearches, Apr 10, 2007 IP
  20. cantufind

cantufind Banned

Best Answers:
    I am websearches, after all, Vito has been the victim of my apparent legacy, and I cannot express how bad I feel for him. For people who don't even know me the hatred shown simply for my lack of promoting skills is pretty worrying of what society can be like, and something I can't quite get my head around. I posted my apology to this forum here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=254805 and I have adhered to this to placate the forum who claim to be unbias save for the loathing of self promoting.

I'm not sure if I'm posting on empty grounds here, I'm going against all instinct to post, but I felt I had to make it public record in no uncertain terms that Vito in no way had 'hidden agendas' or was in 'collusion' with me. He made a post of his observations as simple as that.

From reading this thread I truly can't comprehend why for some people it's so hard to accept an apology http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=254805. Some of you really should be disgusted with yourselves, the way you treated this man was abhorent and nothing short of playground bullying; perhaps its now your turn to make a public apology to him and put this forum back on track to being a place where everyone is allowed thier say as I'm sure the forum wasn't created for the purposes displayed in this thread.

cantufind, Apr 10, 2007 IP