1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Proposal I received from adsense support

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by names2buy, Jan 25, 2007.

1. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I NOwhere mentioned ever that i do cpm stuff
    we talk G+adsense here in this thread

hans, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  2. killer2021

killer2021 Peon

Best Answers:
    Never recived the email.

killer2021, Feb 6, 2007 IP
  3. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    hans, your "my site-advertisers" is apparently referring to adsense cpm ads? contextual adsense advertisers can't bid on a particular site.

afaik, this google email is for adsense cpm advertising ONLY.

danimal, Feb 7, 2007 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    advertisers can target ads if a site offers targetable ads - i do

targetable ads are different from regular cpm and much higher in $ - since a larger numnber of advertisers bids for a tiny number of ad slots

if an advertiser bids on CPM - he still has to bid - or better set a limit per thousand - on high traffic sites with hundreds of advertisers across the site - the cpm price is based on the bids done by others - i.e. by the eCPM
    if eCPM exceeds the limit of a cpm advertiser, then the cpm advertiser drops out and is replaced by the regular advertisers

if competition is high for entire image ads or video ads, then ad-slots ( NOT ad units ) are getting and hence prices UP

i certainly have variations from day to day depending on how many advertisers are making a campaign and the eCPM may vary up to 50% and go up even more during peak season times such as weekends or holidays etc

i never worry about cpm vs regular contextual ads since my site is well mixed with both - too many topics for a site-wide CPM advertiser - those who are populating my site have high competition and many topic areas are simply far off their limits

i apply zero filter - had some for many months - and the free market provides me with my best adsense revenue success ever

the first 2 ad units usually are populated by contextual ads and only 1 max 2 by image ads - some of the image are contextual - a few are site-advertisers - others apparently use targetable channels now

i have several dozen precise configured targetable channels available to advertisers for strict ATF channels it seems quite common to find more 0.50 to 1+$ ads than it was before un non-targetable ads

since ATF in top formats are making up to 75% of all CTR on a page - these slots obviously become more popular among high quality advertisers. 4 ad-slots is a small number to populate - the temptation by bidders of high quality products or services of course makes sense - to have 7+% ctr on a campaign or 1-2% ctr makes a difference to all business - hence the readiness to pay substantially more on ATF targets makes sense

killer2021
    if the site in your signature is all you have for adsense - then no wonder why no mail from G
    you have virtually zero traffic on that site and you have NONE of the successful adformats G publishes on their adsense help pages

hans, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  5. l1tilr

l1tilr Guest

Best Answers:
    as mentioned early in the thread, I received the email and implemented the ad size on two pages. initially I saw a sharp increase in both clicks and $. but after 10 days, mol, I am now seeing a sharp decrease in $ on both pages and clicks on one of the pages, plus the ads on that page are becoming less relevant. I'll do some optimizing and wait it out for another week or so but then change back. I'm getting more from a single pages ecpm than 10 clicks on the mentioned page.

this isn't my day job but like many I need this revenue to fund server and other expenses for the site. g revenue is getting very low for me in Feb which is causing me to begin to look at other forms of advertising.

l1tilr, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  6. nks

nks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I noticed the same too.....

Feb. revenue is really pathetic!!! I mean literally I got only 30% of what I normally earn.

nks, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  7. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    could you tell me which of your sites pls ?

if any of the 4 in your signature - i haven't seen anything adsense optimized neither by placement nor by format nor by colors ...

it seems it makes me the only lucky one in this thread as all feb revenue still is far more than 50% up compared to my all years / every years december or any other peak months

how many unique visitors / unique pageviews per DAY do you have on the site you mention to be low ?

hans, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  8. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hans i implemented all your techniques..But i am sorry to say my earnings dropped by more than 80%...then i just let it go and went back to where i was..now i am doing OK...bit great!

I guess this isnt working for us prolly its working for you.

Please look at my site and tell me if there is anything i can do to better optimise?

godmode, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  9. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    godmode

are u sure you made ALL and all FULLY in every detail including COLOR ??

some 2 days ago someone wanted help - got it - and i found out that he in NO way was ready to do ALL to the very point.
    hence i stopped to waste my time

for me it works perfect and after some 9 days fully implemented i still have ups and downs as all have but my overall average still remains some 75-100% above my all year high from nov/dec

if you have still all up - i would love to see HOW exactly you implemented it - i.e. how precisely

what formats did u have ATF ?
    G asks 300x250
    I published 336x280
    etc ...

I am consistent across all various sections of my site FAR above anything I ever had

one last factor that might play a role is volume of traffic

i have some 10'000 unique G-pageviews/day

and you ?

also
    how many ad units did you place on your pages 2 or 3 of the published 3 successful formats ?
    or did you use any OTHER formats ?

on the pages you link below i see none that would even be near the proposed/successful ad-layout
    also if the signature site is ur site - you have near zero traffic and a very narrow single site topic

i have hundreds of different topics and a huge variety of advertisers across the entire site
    my blog alone still is in the 2 digits both values and nearing a 1k$/m now

i would love to help - but need details and link to site

hans, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  10. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    advertisers don't need targetable ads to site-target a website, it's the default publisher setting.

wrong, you don't know how many advertisers there are, or how many ad slots are available... and "targetable ads" are cpm-only ads.

your logic is seriously flawed... adsense recently served up a tax-related site-targeted cpm ad campaign that went across a whole bunch of sites that had a diverse mix of content.

since the ads in that campaign were totally untargeted, they didn't pay as well as contexual adsense on most sites.

hans, you are making a bunch of judgements based on your narrow base of experience, and 3 people have replied that what you are doing is NOT working for them.

you need to acknowledge that, and why it's happening.

danimal, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  11. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you talk about site targeting
    i talk about the new google feature of ad-channel targetting - if a publisher offers and configures channels as targetable!
    these are two different worlds.

it is correct that some have stated here that it did NOT work for them
    fact however also is that NONE of them ever did show a complete set-up as outlined for at least a few minutes.

a few days ago i offered help to one - and wasted many hours in waiting for changes to be made - just to see that first the correct colors - on a wrong format on wrong placement has been made.,
    then the correct format but wrong color scheme
    and at no time did he place a proper rectangle ATF top-center of page.

hence it might well be that some failed to improve
    the question however is:
    did they really and completely do ALL or just a little
    did they have any significant traffic - like a few thousand pageviews - to see a difference in eCPM or CTR

none of the sites who have low ctr or suffer from low CTR/low$ has even nearly an ad-placement layout that might match a layout as I use successfully.

you are absollutely right about my narrow experience!!

this months I only have 3 years adsense experience ...
    many thousands of others have much more adsense experience
    I only made some 25k$ in adsense these years - others might have made millions$
    I only had a low 3 digit the first adsense (half)month of participation - others often much more
    I only got it up to a low 4digit$ revenue/m by now - others are talking about 1 or 2 digits more.
    april this year I only have 10 yrs fulltime web-publishing experience
    others have much more.
    I only have some 300'000 unique visitors / m - others have millions or more
    I only have around 10'000 unique G-adsense pageviews/d - others may have easily tenfold or more

hence there are most likely millions out there with much greater experience - but are they sharing their success recipes they used?

and if some have no success at all - can you prove that you did ALL perfectly ? for example with a screenshot of a perfect placement of all ads/colors/formats and show that they had it up for at least a few thousand adsense-pageviews ??

I never said to be an expert - but I have published scheme of color, formats and placements that helped me to further improve my adsense revenue into a solid 4digit$ and more importantly an increase of far more than 50% over the previous adsense placement-layout ever since I started to implement those changes!

my experience is that most of them who lack success do things only partially correct ...

hans, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  12. nks

nks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi hans,
    Sorry for me to take so long to reply this thread. Appreciate your help in one way or another to look through my site.

The one site that is dropping in revenue is not listed in my sig. :)

nks, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  13. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    dude, it's *all* cpm advertising, and static cpm advertising doesn't pay squat!

any advertiser can target your channels with whatever content they want... so it's not as valuable as contexual advertising.

apparently google failed to mention that it is cpm advertising in that memo? pretty sad.

danimal, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  14. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    danimal
    its finally about $ and whatever clkean method increases $ revenue is workthy to be share
    you ahve easy talking about OTHERS - you hide in anonymity - no signature - no homepage published
    no one knows what and how you have BETTER than solid 4<digit income from adsense

it is apparent that you know it much better
    but from your empty profile is also is apparent that you have no interest at all to show and share HOW do do SOOOO much better.

what you finally want to do is to tell me I am wrong
    possible
    but there is no wrong nor right
    there is less sucessful OR more successful

those who are less successful do things "wrong" if you want to say so
    so instead of lots of time wasting small talk
    simple PROVE that you can do MUCH better and tell others HOW you do much better
    much better than a ctr near or aroiund 2 digits wite-wide
    and a eCPM always 2 digits site-wide average and a traffice always increasing 50+% yrs after year

all can do - for sure
    and many can do MUCH better
    but before some do MUCH better it would be nice to see ALL doing at least as good or at least a mid 1-digit ctr range to improve their present situation.

from reading thru many related threads here it is apparent that many are struggling wit a 1-2% ctr and a 1-digit$ / d and a low/near zero traffic in the 2-3 digits/d pageviews

so instead of endless words twisting and definition arguments
    facts and prove that there is an EVEN BETTER way to HONESTLY make more efficient web publishing would help all of us much more

hans, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  15. briguy

briguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting thread we started here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=228283 and somehow ended up with 2 webmasters at "each others throats" (couldn't think of a better term!)okay hans and danimal take a break:D

Anyway to those of you who have recieved this email from Google...where are you located? what are your keywords (for the site that Google want to include)...why I ask is that I believe that G is trying to sell these new ads to advertisers using your sites and traffic as selling tools example.. "see Site A (U.S.A. mortgage lender (keyword) 25000+ traffic) look how good it is doing with our new ad format.....
    Any thoughts

briguy, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  16. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that's very easily possible
    it's clear that if G wants to advertise adwords to larger potential advertisers, they have to include a number of example sites and clear is that neither MFA sites nor the many hobby blog sites are suitable for such a presentation. sites like G publishes in their success stories - professional sites with unique content having success in adsense and in publishng by nr or visitors over the years however may be a decisive factor in gaining new advertisers

fact also is that successful publishers with higher generic CTR ( generic means without deceiving surfers, without tricks of any kind ) of course also create a higher number of conversions on the advertisers' side and hence more likely advertisers who continue on a permanent basis to use G adwords

whining publishers create whining advertisers who eventually move from one ad-network to another and thus gt lost for G

btw I am still very substantially more successful with the 336x280ATF-top-center vs the samep placement with 300x250ATF-top-center

hans, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  17. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    briguy, the point is that google is pushing cpm ads in this memo they sent out... but they didn't bother to tell anyone that.

what is obvious, and rather sad, is that some people out here don't understand the difference in earnings potential between cpm and contextual.

so the moral of the story is, don't go slapping those 300x250 blocks all over your site just to bring in cpm ads... you could end up losing money, like several people in this thread already have.

danimal, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  18. jimkarter

jimkarter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I made changes to 300x250 ATF and it created around 50% increase in my rev on that site. Thank you all who brought up this topic.

Off Topic: Can anybody point me to DP donation link. I want to donate some money to DP. :D

jimkarter, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  19. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

did you check my blog in the sig? yeah thats my blog. I get 500-700 visitors and around 400-550 uniques. the blog is only 2 months old with PR5.

godmode, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  20. briguy

briguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    here a link for you that I found helpful
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=213250&highlight=donation+link
    and to be more specific for your question http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/donate
    hopefully this helps

Getting back to the thread ..as I am one of those Unfortunates who didn't recieve a "email" from google..can maybe someone "copy and paste" it ?
    ..And I am beginning to think that "content maybe King" but "google is the marketing king!"

briguy, Feb 12, 2007 IP