1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website Development in Today's Time

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by farhajr, Feb 22, 2020.

I would like your little bit of Help in giving me your views about building a website.

I want to build a website on "Providing SEO Services" like Giving out Analysis Reports asked for the Contents by a enquirer. Most probably I want to put some Sample Reports in it as well. So I am confused on how to start with it and where to end it.

1) What type of Website Builder should do the job easily for me. I used to work on "Frontpage 2003" before and I only know how to work on it only. How much old it is now? and Can it be used in Today's Time with the advanced types of formats which are used now.

1) What Type of Website Templates should I use for the website which I am making?
    2) Which Software should I get skills on for building my website as the knowledge which I have right now is just for the Frontpage ( and that is also limited to some extent )..

4) What I need to learn more before building the website like any Books and Exercises I can do Before building a Website and get hands clear on everything.

Please, reply all my queries and step by step if possible..

farhajr, Feb 22, 2020 IP
  2. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Probably because what you are asking for is far too extensive to be explained in a forum post, what research have you done yourself?
    There are tons of tutorials you can find just by doing a Google search, read and learn, nobody's going to spoonfeed you all the info you need.

malky66, Feb 23, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  3. farhajr

farhajr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any small informations would help..
    And their is no point in passing comments like these.
    Everyone coming here knows about search engines..The point of Forums is to explain and discuss our issues more effectively.

farhajr, Feb 23, 2020 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You shouldn't have been using Frontpage back in 2003. There are loads of tools but it really depends on how big your site is going to be. Most of the SEO analysis sites are a single page linked, sometimes, to a blog. There are some excellent threads on which CMS to use. Wade through them and decide which suits this project best.

picking your template comes after you've picked your platform/CMS
    PHP, javascript, CSS, HTML - there are also threads on the best tools to use but netbeans, sublimetext, and notepad++ are good start points. Avoid anything that looks like a WYSIWYG

You'll find lots of free tutorials and help online. Be prepared to spend hours building something just for the learning experience. Come back here and ask questions if you get stuck.

If we replied step by step at this stage of your planning we might as well create the site ourselves.

Make sure you've created a business plan that will justify the hours you're going to put into learning a whole new skill set that includes how you'll make your SEO reports better than the ones I can get for free already.

sarahk, Feb 23, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I wasn't going to reply because you'll not like my answer... an answer fueled by claims of knowing something about SEO but then leaning on derpy "site builder" crap, WYSIWYGS, and other such "tools" that do nothing but make you the tool. It doesn't bode well and makes it kind of sound like you might be one of those black-hat scammers that make up 90%+ of the SEO "industry" talk a good talk and that's about it.

The site in your signature doing NOTHING to alleviate that worry... though it's a damned good indicator of why you're asking the question. That's good, asking questions. It's what smart people do.

Now, keep in mind I'm trying to help, but much of what I'm about to tell you is a harsh truth you probably don't want to hear. It's still the truth no matter how many derps with lame excuses will come out of the woodwork crying "wah wah, is not" whilst not backing up said claims with a single legitimate fact.

... and the first truth we need to cover? Until you can build an entire site with flat SEMANTIC HTML, vanilla CSS, and vanilla JS with NO FRAMEWORKS and nothing more complex than a flat text editor, you have ZERO business using any sort of "site builder" or fancy tool to make websites. That "semantic" part being a sick euphemism for "using HTML properly" that is used so as not to offend the mouth-breathers who refuse to pull their head out of 1997's rectum, without a fundamental understanding of which you are utterly unqualified to flap your yap about SEO... at least from an on-page perspective.

Again, this is borne out by the SEO site in your signature with the lack of content of value, artsy-fartsy animated garbage that takes forever to load, and a complete lack "above the fold" of anything to tell the visitors what the page is for much less why they should even care.

Bringing us to the second major truth. One of the best pieces of advice we ever got about SEO came from Matt Cutts, write for the user, not the search engine. Why? Because gaming the search engines WILL eventually get you slapped down for abuse, that's why. Hence why 99% of all the SEO tricks ever tried no longer work, and why 99% of all future tricks will sooner than later result in a pimp slap from the search engines.

Writing for the user means legibile colour contrasts, content of value, semantic markup, graceful degradation, so you can hit as wide an audience as possible. Hence things like black text on green whilst it might not impact search, it's still not "writing for the user" since it's illegible.

Using "site builders" almost always means non-semantic markup the same way halfwitted idiotic garbage like Bootstrap (aka bootcrap) does. To use your site as an example of just how BAD things can get, you've got this mess of non-semantic trash:

<body class="fast-animated-bg fixed-bg  " data-ecommerce-solution="DISABLED" data-root-id="vbid-829ff907-i34spcsc" data-root-style-id="style-829ff907-1gqaxm7u" data-default-currency="USD" data-osid="osid--48e678fc-f6820f01"  data-app-version="1.5.6f" data-caller="live"  data-ecommerce-dashboard="" data-static-server="//www.zackywebsitebuilder.com" data-imos-server="https://imos006-dot-im--os.appspot.com" >

<div id="xprs" data-website-name="seoconsultants.dx.am" data-slug="" class="xprs-holder" >
    		<div class="main-page "   >
    			<div id="content">
    				<div  id="vbid-829ff907-i34spcsc"  class="master container style-829ff907-1gqaxm7u content stripes  website-style " data-itemtype="folder" data-creator="" data-itemname="seoconsultants.dx.am"  data-itemslug="seoconsultantsdxam" data-itemstyleid="style-829ff907-1gqaxm7u" data-margintop="" data-arranger="stripes" data-layout="multi" data-vbid="vbid-829ff907-i34spcsc" data-preset-type-id="" data-preview-style="style-829ff907-1gqaxm7u" data-style="style-7f715-gkcpu3e69m" data-absolute-path=""  >
    	<!-- ARRANGER SETTINGS -->
    	<div class="arranger-settings" style="display:none;"
    		data-ARRANGER_TYPE="stripes"
    		data-ARRANGER_COLS="0"
    		data-ARRANGER_ITEM_MAX_WIDTH="400"
    		data-ARRANGER_ITEM_MIN_WIDTH="230"
    		data-ARRANGER_ITEM_RATIO="1"
    		data-ARRANGER_ITEM_SPACING="20"
    		data-ARRANGER_ITEMS_PER_PAGE="all"
    		data-ARRANGER_ORDER_TYPE="regular"
    		data-AUTO_PLAY="false"
    		data-AUTO_PLAY_DURATION="4"
    		data-SLIDE_EFFECT="SLIDE"
    		data-FLEX_ELEMENT_EFFECT=""
    		data-FLEX_ARROWS="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ZMARmveTg1geksYKXZKdh71KW09XrhDLg8N-XrfXCGsDBEHnuKwhmYpHd55Y2-NwuwLX8qsyx26JNyJWtr1jEcxD=s50"
    	></div>
    	<div class="layout-settings" style="display:none;" data-type="multi"></div>
    	<div id="children">

<!-- MENUS START -->
    		<div  id="vbid-829ff907-hbwcldjs"  class="master item-box  header-box style-829ff907-g5sjae1g          " data-holder-type="header"" data-holder-type="header"  data-child-type="STYLE"  data-styleid="style-829ff907-g5sjae1g" data-preview-styleid='style-829ff907-g5sjae1g' data-preset-type-id="MENUS">
    			<div id="no-image" class="stripe-background load-high-res " ></div>
    			<div class="header-wrapper item-wrapper menus-wrapper ">

<div class="item-content leaf menu_layout header content" data-preview-style="style-829ff907-g5sjae1g" data-style="style-7f715-scjjarqgxu"  data-behavior-type="NOTHING" data-orig-thumb-height="" data-orig-thumb-width="" data-vbid="vbid-829ff907-hbwcldjs" data-bgimg="">
    <div class="preview-content-wrapper">
    <div class="preview-content-holder">
    	<div class="left-div">
    	<div class="benet" style="min-height:inherit;"></div>
    	<div class="logo-holder">

</div>
    	<div class="helper-div">
    		<div class="item-details menu">

<div class="preview-title-holder removable-parent">

<h2 id="element-8e791e429c40668" class="preview-element preview-title magic-circle-holder inner-page text-element quick-text-style-menu   allow-mobile-hide" data-menu-name="PREVIEW_TITLE" >SEO Consultants</h2>

</div>
    Code (markup):
    Endless pointless DIV for nothing, scripting only crap in the markup where it has ZERO business being in the first place, endless pointless presentational classes for nothing (if you're gonna use classes that way you might as well go back to HTML 3.2), classes on elements that shouldn't have classes static in the markup (like body), and even the gibberish nonsensical starting the document with an H2... which given H2 means "the start of a major subsection of the page under the H1".

That's one hell of a mess for what any sane developer would probably have written as:

<body>

<div id="top">
    	<h1>SEO Consultants</h1>

Code (markup):
    THAT is why you need to back dat ass up, and go back to basics and learn to use HTML properly.

... and that's before we talk about how you've got static style and static scripting in the markup meaning you missed the caching opportunity, the broken viewport meta that breaks mobiles ability to zoom in, blocking scripts in the HEAD, Hardly a shock then the site is vomiting up 153k of markup for 322 bytes of plaintext and ZERO content images/media... aka not even 5k of HTML's job, and given what's going on for style and behaviors, I doubt it warrants more than 12k of CSS and 8k of Scripting. Even if we omit the ridiculous 100+k of inlined style on a page that shouldn't need more than 12k of it, that's still 42k of HTML, well over 8 times what such a simple page should need.

Bringing us to our final truth:

ALL these alleged "shortcuts" -- site builders, WYSIWYGS, off the shelf CMS -- do, is teach you how NOT to build a website... and if you were unaware of how starting a document with a H2 is wrong, you're not qualified to talk about SEO.

Again, sorry if that comes across as harsh, and sorry to drag your site into it, but that's the truth. You've got an SEO consultant site that appears to be written by someone unqualified to create logical document structure via semantic markup, and hence unqualified to even TALK about SEO!

The truth is often very uncomfortable. It's why people are suckered so easily by lies. Lies feel good right up until they **** you over.

deathshadow, Feb 23, 2020 IP
    malky66, kk5st, JEET and 1 other person like this.
  6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First of all tell me, how are you going to analyse a website's source code without knowing raw HTML?
    If you cannot understand and analyse raw HTML, how will you make a SEO report?

SEO is not just about link structures, broken links etc. Its so much more, and more about on-page SEO these days.

Like I told you in your other thread, learn some HTML and CSS first.
    Its not difficult at all.
    You can get some basic things going on within a week.

To setup your own website, the easiest option for you is "wordpress blog"
    You can install the script using your hosting CPANEL itself with just a few clicks.
    Then all you need to do is, find a nice looking free theme, and download it, upload to your wordpress's "themes" folder.
    Then login to wordpress admin panel, go to themes section, and select that new theme as template of your blog.
    Then go to "post" section, write whatever you want.

By the way, I don't like using wordpress at all.
    I used it many years ago for a short while, then threw it in a dustbin.
    However, this is my personal choice.
    "Millions" of people are using wordpress itself for their websites.
    There is a whole "gang" of developers who know nothing other than wordpress.
    They setup client websites using it, upload themes, customize things little bit and pat their own backs for the "great" work they did!

Millions of websites are setup using this, and I think it will be the "easiest" option for you as well.

But then again, if you do not understand HTML, then how will you analyse a website and make SEO reports?

JEET, Feb 23, 2020 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I have a sneaking suspicion this particular user is going to fight us over Frontpage and is looking for an easy solution like Mobirise4.

sarahk, Feb 23, 2020 IP
    deathshadow and JEET like this.
  8. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Mobirise or frontpage or anything else, the basic problem still remains.
    All webpages are static HTML pages, need to be made individually on a PC, then uploaded to server.
    Once you have 40-60 pages, it becomes a major project to make a simple site wide change to the website.
    Like if you wanted to add a link in the main menu bar.
    First you have to edit each page individually on your PC copy, all 50 of them, then upload each one individually to the server.
    And if you forgot a little something, do it all over again...
    All of this just to add a single link in a menu bar...
    This is why I never liked those desktop based webpage builders.

JEET, Feb 23, 2020 IP
  9. Denis B.

Denis B. Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest you to buy a Wordpress theme that comes along with an easy to use builder (there are many of them that works like drag and drop). It doesn't require much knowledge, if you make a little bit of research over the internet you can do it. If you need help let me know.

Denis B., Feb 24, 2020 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    As an SEO expert he should know how to vet a theme

sarahk, Feb 24, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  11. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @sarahk
    Rightly said!
    That is my whole point also, in my first comment.
    He wants to provide SEO reports and probably SEO services also.
    And he does not even knows HTML...
    How is that going to work, I don't know.

JEET, Feb 24, 2020 IP
    sarahk and kk5st like this.
  12. HarryPAO

HarryPAO Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are any serious about building a website and providing SEO services then you should spend quite some time with getting to know HTML5, CSS and later Javascript. Moreover, without extensive markup knowledge how are you going to evaluate and provide SEO services?

Join sitepoint or packt , get a couple of books and start working right away.

Be aware, in business, the cheap solution (building something very mediocre yourself) almost always proves to be the most expensive one

HarryPAO, Feb 24, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  13. farhajr

farhajr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What is the difference between simple HTML or HTML5...?

Also when you mentioned on top "mediocre"... What is that exactly.

farhajr, Feb 25, 2020 IP
  14. HarryPAO

HarryPAO Peon

Best Answers:
    HTML5 is a subset with new technologies for HTML. For now, until you study about it consider it the same.

Also, you need to practice your english especially if you want to sell SEO services in English .
    Mediocre = of only average quality; not very good.

HarryPAO, Feb 25, 2020 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  15. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    SUPERset... it adds stuff, and really doesn't take away much of anything, at least not compared to HTML 4 Strict... aka "the real HTML". As opposed to 4 tranny which is basically 3.2 in a wig and theatrical makeup.

Shame 5 ignores most of what was good about 4 strict and pisses itself with so many pointless redundancies, failing to even TRY and make the specification simpler. There's a reason 90%+ of the broken halfwitted dumbass practices of 4 tranny work in HTML 5... it's plainly apparent the folks at the whatWG who came up with tags like HGROUP, SECTION, ARTICLE, NAV, HEADER, AUDIO, VIDEO, and so forth didn't know enough about HTML 4 Strict to have made its successor.

HGROUP in particular, there's a reason it was dropped from the specification once the W3C rubber stamped it and then took the time to actually look at it. MAYBE they should have looked at it BEFORE approving it? I know, I know, crazy uncle Jason talking about logic again.

deathshadow, Feb 25, 2020 IP
  16. HarryPAO

HarryPAO Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, you're definately right here meant it otherwise but didn't clear it up.
    Cheers

HarryPAO, Feb 25, 2020 IP
  17. macstux

macstux Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you given WordPress a try?

waiting for deathshadow's input....

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    macstux, Feb 25, 2020 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  18. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff