1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain name: more clearly-presented with dashes?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Ectoplasm, Dec 11, 2016.

To my astonishment, I always see domains with partial rather long names, or strings consisting of (composed) words, which are not separated by a character between these words, such as a hyphen "-",which sometimes makes the readability extremely bad. E.g.
    literatureandlatte.com
    instead of
    literature-and-latte.com

I myself (actually) would not have the idea to use such domain names because of the bad readability. Since also "well-known" companies, which could afford reasonable quality / work, have such domains, the suspicion arises, to use such a (difficult to read, meaningless appearing) domain name, has nevertheless any sense.

What could that be? What about such domain names?

How to evaluate the hyphen regarding search engines?

Ectoplasm, Dec 11, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    • conventional wisdom is that search engines don't like hyphens
    • people didn't start using hyphens until we were all used to doing without and habits are hard to break
    • if you're on the phone to someone and want them to refer to your website - or give an email address - adding in the hyphens adds complexity
    • if you mistype the domain name into the address bar and it turns into a search query it becomes (using your example) literature without the word "and", without the word "latte" and that's a risk many don't like

sarahk, Dec 11, 2016 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Hyphens act as word separators which can be good for SEO but the problem is these domain names don't pass the radio test. When advertising a domain name, you don't want to be saying word hyphen word hyphen, you get my point. Generally speaking, the shorter the name is the better.

dcristo, Dec 11, 2016 IP
    bxuser likes this.
  4. Ectoplasm

Ectoplasm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much!

What consequences does it have?

Actually I would assume people mostly or almost always get to know of links by seeing them not by hearing? Isn't it like that?

And what does that mean if "and" is not used? I just tried some misspellings in Google and it worked fine. Google often corrects to "Results for literature and latte".

Yes, that's plausible. Is there any drawback using a second domain with the same name without hyphens?

Thank you for the SEO link, sorry, I am not quite sure which information in this context I should read there

Many thanks again

Ectoplasm, Dec 12, 2016 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    1. it depends on your business - for our family business we get lots of enquiries by word of mouth or from newspaper adverts and we refer people to our website
    2. try this https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=literature+-and+-latte

sarahk, Dec 12, 2016 IP
  6. Ectoplasm

Ectoplasm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1. OK, by word of mouth. So the domain is shown in the adverts / newspapers, I suppose. Actually I would think having a well readable domain with hyphens (if composed of words) there would be good.

2. Thank you for the link and trying. Yes, with a space before one of the hyphens (they are used as a minus then? So do not find phrases containing "and" or "latte"?) the website is not found / is not shown within the first results when entering it in Google's address bar. When adding the spaces behind the one or two "-" the website is shown.

7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Our domain name is long so it doesn't get into the ads.

sarahk, Dec 12, 2016 IP
  8. Ectoplasm

Ectoplasm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Oops, that's a pity, isn't it?

9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Absolutely, but the brand is well established and changing it would cause confusion. You pay per character in the ads and our clientele would need the whole http:// thing. Honestly, we'd rather they just rang our 0800

My personal blog is itamer.com and that's a pain to use - mostly for email. People don't expect my email to be .com so they bugger that up, and then making sure they get "m" instead of "n".

My point, though, was that in some businesses the domain needs to be given verbally and you need to make it as simple as possible.

sarahk, Dec 12, 2016 IP
  10. Ectoplasm

Ectoplasm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, that would not be good, I suppose.
    Yes, I can imagine, that's expensive. But why not just leave out https / www? It would be enough, as far as I know it, to just enter the part following http / www.

Sorry, I do not understand, what "m" and "n"?
    Yes, of course.

11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I was talking about when you have to give your domain name to people, how you don't want confusion and while my personal domain doesn't have a hyphen it's a text book case of the problems of having a domain that people don't understand easily and can't spell.

sarahk, Dec 12, 2016 IP
  12. Ectoplasm

Ectoplasm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Very sorry again, I cannot understand completely, but, yes, it can be a problem having a domain which is not easily to spell and to understand.

13. KykySck

KykySck Peon

Best Answers:
    If someone already owns literatureandlatte.any or literaturelatte.any (or other simple variations), and you want to stick to those 2 words, you have no choice but to choose the one with hyphens. Domains are sold every single day and you have to use what you get. Then again, there are many TLDs now, like .top, .party, .trade etc, so you can still avoid hyphenated ones.

Also, in some instances, like, when a name has special characters that aren't part of the latin alphabet, you have to use hyphens.

KykySck, Dec 14, 2016 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  14. Ectoplasm

Ectoplasm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Many thanks.

Yes, but how would Google and c. rate those kind of domains (instead of using the one of your own country or com)?

Could you give an example, please?

Ectoplasm, Dec 14, 2016 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    sarahk, Dec 14, 2016 IP
  16. Ectoplasm

Ectoplasm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the link.

Very interesting, astonishing.

So exchange special characters being not available with hyphens? Sounds as if a website with such a domain never could be found then.

17. KykySck

KykySck Peon

Best Answers:
    People are worried that other domain extensions won't appear. Someone purchased a .trade name and immediately they got to the second page on google. It helps to stand out in a space where most people use .com. Not sure if I answered your question but let me know if I helped.

Now an example. Those are called Internationalized domain names (IDNA) and to give you an example:
    københavn.eu will be xn--kbenhavn-54a.eu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name

KykySck, Dec 14, 2016 IP
  18. Ectoplasm

Ectoplasm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    So worried about not being found and listed on the first page of Google.

Sorry, what does that mean? Who gets to that page? And what for?

And this is an advance?

Yes, yes, of course, very much, thank you.

Oops, sounds and looks extremely weird. May be one should use such domains if one wants that nobody will find one's own website or / and if you are on the run.

But, those signs - kbenhavn (besides of that: ø) - look like common characters, but obviously the are not. How can it result in "xn--kbenhavn-54a"?

Thank you very much again

Many thanks for the link.

19. KykySck

KykySck Peon

Best Answers:
    People are worried that other domain extensions won't appear.
    Exactly. But people forget that good content is also needed in order to get on the first page. You need exposure (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn etc.), but I would suggest checking out some SEO advice/ material as well so you see that the domain extension helps, but it is not enough. Like a nice pizza, haha. Needs some ingredients to be the number one.

Someone purchased a .trade name and immediately they got to the second page on google.
    Because it stands out. It is more specific. There are so many .com pages and not a lot of .trade pages out there, so it is easier to fight of competition, who opt for .co.uk or .com or .org etc. If everyone uses yellow lights on their house at Christmas, and you and a couple others use blue ones, what is going to happen, hmm? :)

And anyway, the reason why these new domains appeared (.info, .club, .science) to give others the opportunity to own a domain that fits their business or research. Most .com names are already sold out you know.

Oops, sounds and looks extremely weird. May be one should use such domains if one wants that nobody will find one's own website or / and if you are on the run.
    But, those signs - kbenhavn (besides of that: ø) - look like common characters, but obviously the are not. How can it result in "xn--kbenhavn-54a"?

Check out the link I sent you, it explains everything you need to know. But there is a section that is slightly clearer:

IDNA (Internationalized Domain Name) encoding may be illustrated using the example domain Bücher.ch. “Bücher” is German for “books”, and .ch is the ccTLD (country code) of Switzerland. This domain name has two labels, Bücher and ch. The second label is pure ASCII (made of latin letters or numbers) , and is left unchanged. The first label is processed by Nameprep to give bücher, and then converted to Punycode to result in bcher-kva. It is then prefixed with xn-- to produce xn--bcher-kva. The resulting label suitable for use in the DNS is therefore xn--bcher-kva.ch

I cannot give any more information regarding this, however, I am sure there is some material you can find online or even Wikipedia that will explain things better. Hope I helped.

KykySck, Dec 14, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That means that the .trade domain name didn't prevent the company from reaching their SEO goals. Page 2 for a brand new domain is pretty damn good.

And standing out is important - you want to be noticed in a positive way.

sarahk, Dec 14, 2016 IP